Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 12:51 AM

4,326 posts, read 1,269,497 times

Advertisements

I have problems leaving my house without re-checking things like: lights, faucets, oven, doors, etc. Does anyone else have this problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 09:23 PM

807 posts, read 1,037,771 times
No, it's just you.

Ha, just kidding. I think most people have OCD to some degree. When I pull out of my driveway I always look back to make sure the garage door closed even though I saw it closing when I pushed the button.

Problem with OCD is when it starts interfering with your life. If re-checking all those things each time you leave the house and it causes you to be late to your job and you lose your job, then it's a problem. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:50 PM

LOL, I have been late for work more than a few times. I just tell my boss I was stuck in traffic, but that excuse will only go so far. I don't know why I think something awful will happen if I don't check things over and over.

Last edited by JayInCA; 08-04-2015 at 12:02 AM.. Reason: Added words

Old 08-04-2015, 12:14 AM

23,327 posts, read 29,204,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post
No, it's just you.

Ha, just kidding. I think most people have OCD to some degree. When I pull out of my driveway I always look back to make sure the garage door closed even though I saw it closing when I pushed the button.

Problem with OCD is when it starts interfering with your life. If re-checking all those things each time you leave the house and it causes you to be late to your job and you lose your job, then it's a problem. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it.
It's happened to me! I saw the garage door closing, and then, halfway to work, I turn around and go back to recheck it once more! And while there, one more recheck to see if the faucets were turned off!

Old 08-04-2015, 10:32 AM

400 posts, read 415,588 times
A little bit of prozac cures OCD. It also stops parrots from self plucking.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:06 PM

5,404 posts, read 16,033,150 times
Your problem CAN be corrected with the right therapy...drugs alone are not the answer. This problem can be debillitating...so get some help before it gets out of control.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:49 AM

88,885 posts, read 85,359,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayInCA View Post
I have problems leaving my house without re-checking things like: lights, faucets, oven, doors, etc. Does anyone else have this problem?
Haha, yes, sounds as if you do. When it starts to interfere with your everyday life, it can be a problem, and it can be worse sometimes than others. OCD is an anxiety disorder.

I have missed trains because halfway to the station I "knew" I hadn't unplugged something and the house was going to burn down and my cats would all die. I have waited for three elevators until the "right" one came because if I got on the wrong one--well, it could set off a major disaster.

Go see a therapist who specializes in this sort of thing. I didn't identify the problem until my forties--I just always thought these secret things I did and thought were just my weirdness. I took medication for a number of years but also pursued therapy until I felt I could manage without the meds. The thing is that OCD is actually sort of a creative way for your brain to handle anxiety, but being on the meds was stifling my creativity (I like to write).

It started to show up in my daughter when she was a young teen. I sent her to a therapist who specializes in cognitive behavioral therapy, and she learned to manage her OCD without the medication.

It's always there, and part of my "stuff" is that I have intrusive thoughts, which is basically akin to having a horror movie running in the background all the time. But I know what it is.

Go see someone. You can learn to get a handle on it.

Old 08-05-2015, 02:47 PM

Thanks to everyone for your help, I will see a therapist.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:51 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,428,055 times
i will get up about 2 am to make sure i lock the door. its just life, dont worry about a therapist

Old 08-06-2015, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
i will get up about 2 am to make sure i lock the door. its just life, dont worry about a therapist
The main difference is that you check the door once, I have a routine of checking things a total of 11 times! Sounds crazy I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology