Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 01:21 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I always tell friends that are depressed or lonely for periods of time to
get some $1s or 5s and some tacks....tack up some money at laundromats, on
trees at the park (where the homeless hang), bus benches.
Tuck 'em in the chain link on playground swings...and picture the fun!!

(Gosh, I used to be a beeeotch.)
wait, so your tip to be happier is to randomly give away money that you most likely don't have to someone that most likely doesn't deserve it? genius!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 10:22 AM

331 posts, read 381,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I have always believed in the "fake it till you make it" philosophy. Many days I did NOT want to go to/be at, work. I'd be a bit grumpy and unhappy. I worked in customer service so a lot of "How are you today?" exchanges and I couldn't say I was "grumpy and unhappy" so I'd say, "Excellent, thank you!". After three or four times of this I'd actually start to feel, if not "excellent", at least, "okay" and it did get better. I still do this sometimes and it works for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
The best way to brighten your day is to brighten someone else's day. Help out and serve others whenever you can and you'll find joy and good in this world. Worrying about "your" happiness is the very reason which causes unhappiness.
Great tips/suggestions!

Old 08-27-2015, 10:41 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 505HPC6Z06 View Post
#1 tip is to smile? That would put someone else in a better mood. Where are the tips to put myself in a better mood?
Because you get smiles and good attitude back.

Just try it for one day. Consciously smile.

You will see that while you are on the road, other drivers will smile at you. You instantly feel a bit better.

You pump gas, smiling - other people will smile back.

You smile at the cashier at the store - he/she will smile back and maybe even say something nice.

You get niceness back when you smile which can make you feel happier.

Also, it makes you more approachable. Guys will more likely flirt with you. You more likely get a compliment if somebody likes your shirt/car/shoes/hair. The guy whom you cut off with your car might not curse at you but just think "oh well"

Smiles change the world a little.

Old 08-27-2015, 04:49 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksy23 View Post
Indeed. Now, whether they can keep you in a good mood for an extended period of time is another matter.
Not so hard.

1. Smile at an ice cold beer.

2. Focus your attention on that beer.

3. Laugh after drinking a half dozen or so ice cold beers.

That'll extend your good mood for six or seven hours.

After that, well....I'll get back to you.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Not so hard.

1. Smile at an ice cold beer.

2. Focus your attention on that beer.

3. Laugh after drinking a half dozen or so ice cold beers.

That'll extend your good mood for six or seven hours.

After that, well....I'll get back to you.
Sounds like a plan!

Old 09-02-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
wait, so your tip to be happier is to randomly give away money that you most likely don't have to someone that most likely doesn't deserve it? genius!
Lol. What if the money ends up in a ditch or down the sewer?

Old 09-03-2015, 01:06 PM

424 posts, read 430,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 505HPC6Z06 View Post
#1 tip is to smile? That would put someone else in a better mood. Where are the tips to put myself in a better mood?
Not really.

Studies using brain imaging technology, like PET Scan, have shown that when you physically contort the muscles in your face so as to create the facial expression we call a smile, the brain actually IS fooled into thinking you're happy! From the nerve stimuli being sent to the brain from those contracting muscles. So what does the brain do? Release some more of those "feel good" neurotransmitters like Serotonin and Dopamine.

The PET scans show that the part of the brain associated with happiness--which is, BTW, located within the Limbic center--"lights up" when people physically make the effort to smile, even if it's a fake one and not one derived from true happiness at the time.

This technique is just one in the field of Bio-Feedback. And you would be amazed at what you can do to your body simply by using thought processes.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:07 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
Quote:
4.) alcohol

Chocolate works for me.

Old 09-06-2015, 04:14 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
wait, so your tip to be happier is to randomly give away money that
you most likely don't have to someone that most likely doesn't deserve it? genius!
Exactly. Giving to someone less fortunate than yourself...and there are plenty,
takes the focus off self...giving of time or even $1 to be found by a child or by someone
that feels no one cares, changes our focus.

Giving, especially if we think we can't afford it is pretty much the stairway to Heaven.
Everyone deserves a little help...if a smile or to find a paper dollar someone purposely
left as a kind gesture in a phone booth change slot/laundromat helps the giver and the receiver.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Chocolate works for me.
Yum!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology