Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2015, 12:03 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times

Advertisements

Death wish. That's obvious, because there are death symbols found hidden in so many cigarette ads. Not everyone wants to grow old.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 12:16 AM

8,495 posts, read 4,161,714 times
I could understand older generations smoking because they grew up in a time when even doctors smoked and no one knew the health hazards of smoking. Even pregnant women used to smoke. I still watch I Love Lucy and I can't count the number of times Lucy, Ricky, Ethel, and Fred lit up. That's why I feel more sympathetic to older smokers, but a lot of them are not around anymore, not only due to the effects of smoking but they died of old age (if they were lucky). The newer younger generations of continuing smokers I don't have much sympathy for because they grew up knowing the dangers of smoking and still lit up that first cigarette, but for the ones who are trying to quit, I wish them luck and strength.

Old 09-26-2015, 01:36 AM

1,607 posts, read 1,944,895 times
I was an athlete in high school, so smoking was out of the question. After high school, I enlisted in the Army. That's where I got hooked. A pack cost 10 or 15 cents at the PX. At the time it was a cheap habit. It wasn't until I entered the police academy and had to run 5-10 miles a day that I finally quit for good.

I remember the cigarette ads of the 1950's.

4 out of 5 doctors prefer Camels. The other one prefers women.

Old 09-26-2015, 02:38 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,721,664 times
There are probably well over 10,000 videos of people smoking cigarettes on You Tube, but maybe more than that are removed or age restricted. A woman on there has a video of her smoking 40 cigarettes simultaneously! Someone asked if she was afraid cigarettes would kill her & she said not really, I come from pretty healthy stock. Teens do smoking videos, one explained he knew someone that would sell to him. He sold cigarettes to school kids for $1 each, so he sorta got a half pack or so for free. Some watching smoking videos light up with those on screen. Some get personal instruction on smoking techniques over Skype.

There are many films of smoking in other countries. Indonesia in fairly recent years has had a several hundred percent increase in kids under 5 that smoke. Cigarettes are $1 a pack there, but the smoke shacks next to the schools will sell singles. Ads, almost everyone does it, legal, pressure/encouragement to start, no guilt.

A site for learning why people smoke is smoking feels good dot com/ Rather interesting what they will admit. Over 500,000 have read their instructions on how to start smoking. So many say they want to be as addicted as possible. A great many say their only regret is they didn't start younger as the enjoyment is so intense & they don't ever intend to stop. So many say they love their addiction so much because it forces them to smoke.

It seems the desire to start for many is even before their 1st cigarette. Maybe they want to be like friends or relatives (conformity)? Or might curiosity be a bigger factor? Do some kids get addicted from 2nd hand smoke or might there be something like a smoking gene or a brain condition that exists at birth that determines who will smoke?

I wonder if some have a condition where they never got any significant pleasure from anything before they discovered the pleasure from smoking cigarettes? What if they felt that smoking cigarettes was 100-1,000+ times more enjoyable than anything they'd ever experienced? I've heard some say about a smoker & once in a while smokers saying it is their main joy or their only joy in life.

I think cannabis (no deaths) should be legal & suggested as a way to quit tobacco. But some get rich from legal tobacco & others get rich from cannabis prohibition. Best wishes, all.

Old 09-26-2015, 04:40 AM

465 posts, read 418,400 times
I smoke 1 or 2 a day. I do so for relaxation.

My heart is very strong and my resting heart rate is 45. My blood tests show I am very healthy. My cardio routine makes a gym spin class look a neighborhood stroll.

My point is moderation. Yes its bad but it does not control me.

Old 09-26-2015, 05:22 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
I was an athlete in high school, so smoking was out of the question. After high school, I enlisted in the Army. That's where I got hooked. A pack cost 10 or 15 cents at the PX. At the time it was a cheap habit. It wasn't until I entered the police academy and had to run 5-10 miles a day that I finally quit for good.

I remember the cigarette ads of the 1950's.

4 out of 5 doctors prefer Camels. The other one prefers women.
That's when my wife started. She never smoked until she joined the Navy at age 22. She's 51 now and still smoking. But at least she's a light smoker; about 5 cigarettes a day. But woe be the person who tries to take away those 5 cigarettes from her I started smoking again when we got together after having quit for six years. But I'm one of those super addicted smokers, and I soon ramped back up to 1/2 a pack a day. I get an insane craving that drives my mind crazy. So I quit again. I didn't want to go through that hell again. It's weird for me. Smoking addiction is purely physical, not psychological. The nictotine patch stops the craving in its tracks, and I don't even think about it.

Old 09-26-2015, 07:01 AM

6,738 posts, read 2,909,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Where2now22 View Post
I smoke 1 or 2 a day. I do so for relaxation.

My heart is very strong and my resting heart rate is 45. My blood tests show I am very healthy. My cardio routine makes a gym spin class look a neighborhood stroll.

My point is moderation. Yes its bad but it does not control me.
You smoke two cigarettes a day, it controls you.... You're only fooling yourself, that's what addicts do..

When you smoke NO cigarettes a day, it does not control you.

Old 09-26-2015, 09:06 AM

892 posts, read 1,500,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJJG2012 View Post
I think cannabis (no deaths) should be legal & suggested as a way to quit tobacco. But some get rich from legal tobacco & others get rich from cannabis prohibition. Best wishes, all.
BRILLIANT idea! Give up one "addiction" for another, much more expensive "addiction" with far more taxes added on!

Yeah yeah yeah...I know - "But weed has NEVER killed anyone like tobacco has!" What a crock...how many people do you know of that have died from a nicotine overdose? I'm fairly confident in assuming the answer to that one is a big fat zero. Ironically, the few deaths that have occurred due to nicotine overdose are typically young children that got into the stash of nicotine gums and patches of someone around them.

Quit-smoking aids kills children!!!

What these people are really comparing is the effects of decades of smoking compounded into the result of some kind of cancer, to a single event overdose of THC. Of COURSE the results will be different

Guess what - decades of smoking marijuana will also cause various cancers of the respiratory tract, just like smoking cigarettes will. You're still inhaling many of the same byproducts of combustion whether it's tobacco, marijuana, or your mother's couch, most of which are quite harmful to your lungs. http://www.lung.org/stop-smoking/abo...ww.google.com/

At the end of the day, all these marijuana pushers are no different, and no better, than we tobacco smokers.

Old 09-26-2015, 09:11 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
They want to look like an old steam train?

Old 09-26-2015, 09:15 AM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
I don't know why people don't understand that addiction is progressive. You'd think by now everyone in the reading world would have that information.

Nearly all addictions start with "just one or two every now and then" and progress to full-blown, health-damaging excess over time. The denial that accompanies addiction reminds me of a person lying on the railroad tracks and saying at intervals, "Well, okay so far."

And if you care about them you just want to yell, "No! The train is coming. You just can't see it yet."

The risk with using addictive substances is that none of us are a good judge of when we have crossed the line from casual use to addiction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology