Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 09:43 AM

248 posts, read 175,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Once people realized there are no such things as demons, they were able to treat mental illness with medicine. So yes, that would make diagnoses increase.
This realization is not absolute nor has it been disproven. All medicine does to mental illness is subside it for a few hours and get you high with detrimental side effects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
So by your logic and assertion that things were much better treated when these conditions were assumed to be possession, acknowledging that his condition is a result of being possessed by the devil, shouldn't that make his illness easier to treat? How's that going? I'm curious to hear more about all the successfull treatments for possession by the devil. Surely, the schizophrenia has been cured, right?
I said nothing about treatment being better. I'm saying that these afflictions could be of a spiritual nature rather than just some chemical imbalance that should be treated with more chemicals that will cause an even worse reaction to the imbalance.

Those aforementioned treatments were archaic even by spiritual standards IMO.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:21 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,483,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soular View Post
This realization is not absolute nor has it been disproven. All medicine does to mental illness is subside it for a few hours and get you high with detrimental side effects.
This is patently absurd.

Go pick up a science book and read some Psychiatric Times.

Religobabble has no place in a serious discussion of mental illness. It just doesn't.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:41 AM

863 posts, read 1,196,661 times
The mind is a mysterious thing. Treating for demonic possession may actually have better results than pharmaceutical therapy. If someone is convinced that they're possessed by demons, a talisman or ritual that's intended to drive out demons gives said person something concrete to grasp or believe. As opposed to a drug that purportedly changes the workings of the mind and works(?) gradually over a long period of time.

Belief can be a powerful force.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperJade View Post
This is patently absurd.

Go pick up a science book and read some Psychiatric Times.

Religobabble has no place in a serious discussion of mental illness. It just doesn't.
So do you believe in Mind Body and Soul or Mind and Body?

Humble yourself, science can't save you.

Old 10-23-2015, 11:27 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,429,427 times
Quote:
So do you believe in Mind Body and Soul or Mind and Body?

Humble yourself, science can't save you.
You may have taken a wrong turn in the forum. You are currently in the Psychology forum, Religion is three doors down on the right!

Old 10-23-2015, 11:44 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,148,982 times
These days when someone has a "mental illness," we jump through hoops to try to treat it with drugs, usually unsuccessfully. When will we learn to stop ignoring the real problem? What we should really be doing is tying up allegedly mentally ill people and throwing them into the water. If they float, we know that it must be demonic possession. If they drown, it probably wasn't, but then we don't have to deal with the issue anymore. Either way, we win.

Old 10-23-2015, 12:17 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
These days when someone has a "mental illness," we jump through hoops to try to treat it with drugs, usually unsuccessfully. When will we learn to stop ignoring the real problem? What we should really be doing is tying up allegedly mentally ill people and throwing them into the water. If they float, we know that it must be demonic possession. If they drown, it probably wasn't, but then we don't have to deal with the issue anymore. Either way, we win.
Or we could drill a hole in their skull to let the evil vapors out. Really, whatever works.

Old 10-23-2015, 12:34 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Well I'm not speaking on science and chemical imbalances particularly. We do know that pharmaceuticals drugs do more harm in that manner than helping but to each their own.

I asked this because I have a friend who has a brother who is schizophrenic, the thing is before he came under this condition he told my friend that he made a pact with the devil and he will never be the same again. Sure enough he was never the same again, this happened 5 or 6 years ago.
I'm betting his schizophrenia predated his believing he made a pact with the devil. He was ill then and if he is now, I hope he get some medical help.

Old 10-23-2015, 12:37 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Or we could drill a hole in their skull to let the evil vapors out. Really, whatever works.
LOL. Another great "cure". I like the one about the woman who is "curing" herself of breast cancer by drinking her own urine. Or the nuts who are promoting bleach enemas to "cure" kids with Autism. I kid you not. I'm not inventive enough to make up that level of crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology