Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 09:41 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,913,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Sounds lovely! What part of the country or larger world do you live in?
Central Kentucky. Just now, we are getting nice stretches of sunny days, broken by a gray, rainy day or two each week, but soon that will change. It's already heading down to the low thirties at night, and a hard freeze is likely within a week or two. However, it's going up to the low sixties on Monday and Tuesday - or so the weather crews are promising us. But that won't last long.

Each pleasant day is a gift at this time of the year.

I started clearing out the old greenhouse - oh, dear. Old is the operative word. It's going to need considerable work before I can move the plants into their permanent positions, but at least I got it swept out and tossed some dried-up stuff and ugly plastic pots and planters. It needs some minor repairs here and there - new caulking, etc., and I'd like to the get two outlets rewired - not sure they are safe at present. But I can run an extension cord from a known-to-be-safe outlet and make do with that, if I must. Or just do without - it IS a greenhouse, after all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 12:01 AM

297 posts, read 277,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
It's here again - those dark winter months where many people go to work in the darkness, and leave in the darkness. As I age, I seem to be having a greater difficulty adjusting to it.

I don't mind the cold that much, just the darkness! I left work tonight and it was pitch black, 50 degrees, raining, and hard to see. It was utterly miserable. During these months, I barely do anything after work, other than go to the gym two or three times a week, and basically come home and sit on the computer or play Playstation.

How do you cope with the winter months?
I move to Sunny California.

But i prefer indoors anyways.

Just remember to take ur vit D

Old 11-15-2015, 02:58 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,285,362 times
Sleep, eat, TV, repeat.

Old 11-15-2015, 02:59 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,285,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
Sleep, eat, TV, repeat.
Oh, wait. That's also in the summer months! Guess I'm in a rut.

Old 11-15-2015, 05:05 AM

6,777 posts, read 5,497,243 times
Quote:
It's here again - those dark winter months where many people go to work in the darkness, and leave in the darkness. As I age, I seem to be having a greater difficulty adjusting to it.

I don't mind the cold that much, just the darkness! I left work tonight and it was pitch black, 50 degrees, raining, and hard to see. It was utterly miserable. During these months, I barely do anything after work, other than go to the gym two or three times a week, and basically come home and sit on the computer or play Playstation.

I live with "S.A.D."...SAD is Seasonal Affective Disorder,and am bipolar {manic/depressive}, and get depressed every winter...

I replaced EVERY light bulb in our house with full spectrum daylight compact flourescent{?} bulbs, then changed to "full daylight" LED bulbs,when they came out. These have the effect of "adding" sunlight to the house. They work well,and are all turned on all over the house.

There are any number of "full spectrum daylight" lamps available online..type that into you favorite search engine or your favorite online e-tailer to find one. They may help you.
Finally, I try to take a vacation the last week of Jan and the first week of Feb to a warmer sunnier southern destination.

Best of luck to you in this coming winter!

Old 11-15-2015, 07:55 AM

3,975 posts, read 4,268,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Central Kentucky. Just now, we are getting nice stretches of sunny days, broken by a gray, rainy day or two each week, but soon that will change. It's already heading down to the low thirties at night, and a hard freeze is likely within a week or two. However, it's going up to the low sixties on Monday and Tuesday - or so the weather crews are promising us. But that won't last long.

Each pleasant day is a gift at this time of the year.

I started clearing out the old greenhouse - oh, dear. Old is the operative word. It's going to need considerable work before I can move the plants into their permanent positions, but at least I got it swept out and tossed some dried-up stuff and ugly plastic pots and planters. It needs some minor repairs here and there - new caulking, etc., and I'd like to the get two outlets rewired - not sure they are safe at present. But I can run an extension cord from a known-to-be-safe outlet and make do with that, if I must. Or just do without - it IS a greenhouse, after all!
I so agree! We have had an unusually warm November here in NJ, and I am grateful! It lets me work in the yard and soak up some sun.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:33 AM

1,320 posts, read 2,701,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
I have a small attached greenhouse which I have not used much in recent years.

Thus, I'll have a convenient small green escape from winter's dreariness, when spring seems far away, nightfall comes early, and the sun stays behind the clouds for days on end.

I might even start seedlings, come late winter. I lack a green thumb, but I certainly can manage to water things once a week or so, and won't feel guilty about neglecting the greenhouse anymore.
Whenever chocolate doesn't work or ...gasp...if I should run out of chocolate, my indoor jungle works wonders. I don't have a greenhouse. A large collection of houseplants in a room we call the plant room (an enclosed porch with glass windows something like a porch) substitutes. At its height, the number of plants was 150+. It becomes a green sanctuary during bad weather, Winter and if I ever feel sad and blue. The one plant I haven't tried to grow is a chocolate plant.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:50 AM

3,975 posts, read 4,268,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip kid View Post
Whenever chocolate doesn't work or ...gasp...if I should run out of chocolate, my indoor jungle works wonders. I don't have a greenhouse. A large collection of houseplants in a room we call the plant room (an enclosed porch with glass windows something like a porch) substitutes. At its height, the number of plants was 150+. It becomes a green sanctuary during bad weather, Winter and if I ever feel sad and blue. The one plant I haven't tried to grow is a chocolate plant.
Here ya go:

Cocoa (Theobroma cacao 'Trinitario')

There is something to the idea that chocolate lifts your spirits. I know it is in the chemistry of the substance. I love dark chocolate. mmmmmm Too bad it isn't calorie-free.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:45 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,929,527 times
I hate the hot summer in Texas, so I actually look forward to winter. Its usually cooler, but we see the sun quite a bit compared to living in the north, even in winter, so I don't have winter blues at all. There's really only one cure for winter blues that so many suffer from in the north. Move south.

And in reality, you don't have to move that far south. Even a few hundred miles can make a huge difference in reducing the severity and length of winter.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:03 AM

971 posts, read 690,301 times
Quote:

Snowmobiles and beer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology