Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 03:02 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,374,493 times

Advertisements

I wonder where you live that you perceive such bias against the childless by choice (or otherwise childless).

Some web searching gave me these statistics: Something like 20% of women aged 45 and over don't have children. Around 6% of married couples have no kids in the house, that includes no step children. A much higher percentage of cohabiting couples have no children.

I'm in my early 40s with no kids, and no one has ever said boo to me about it -- not a solitary soul. Not a word of criticism ever.

The grass is always greener on the other side, I guess... but I don't envy parents who have to take days off work to look after sick kids, hustle for child care arrangements in emergencies, or take care of kids with school issues, health concerns, etc. What a whack of stress they have. Do these parents envy me for any reason? Maybe, or maybe not. I haven't got any idea, because it never comes up in conversation...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 03:09 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,860,151 times
Can't stand them either, but it's mostly their parents too. The whole cult of the child mentality that has emerged in the last 20 years or so. My entire building has been overrun with these crotchfruit. It's like an uppity ghetto. So gross. I really wish there were buildings in NYC that were legally allowed to discriminate against people with "families" . These suburban and eurotrash transplants are turning entire neighborhoods into giant romper rooms for their skin yachts.

Old 11-14-2015, 03:19 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,860,151 times
Seriously, if you are a landlord. Be careful. It really IS like a roach infestation. Let one or two in and then BOOM! They are all over the place. Also if you are a landlord, stop letting parents with kids rent in one bedrooms. I realize you get more money in rent that way, but it skeeves out single and child-free people who don't want to live around that. It's rude and disgusting and single non breeders should actually have more rights when it comes to this matter.

Old 11-14-2015, 03:31 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,070,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
I think some of it is a defense mechanism. As a childless person, you are often told that your feelings aren't valid or that "you'll change your mind." You're often talked to as if you don't understand life because you don't have kids. And a lot of things are very child-centered, probably more so than your average parent realizes.

These things can cause you to kind of lash back or even to feel a little bit resentful toward parents.

I'm not saying that it's right, but I do think it might be the answer to your question.
Ok, thanks for answering that for me. Everyone should try to respect everyone else's choices really, I suppose.

Old 11-14-2015, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Can't stand them either, but it's mostly their parents too. The whole cult of the child mentality that has emerged in the last 20 years or so. My entire building has been overrun with these crotchfruit. It's like an uppity ghetto. So gross. I really wish there were buildings in NYC that were legally allowed to discriminate against people with "families" . These suburban and eurotrash transplants are turning entire neighborhoods into giant romper rooms for their skin yachts.
I can see how that is annoying for you, but by talking like that you will come across as bitter and jealous by people who have children that they love.

Old 11-14-2015, 03:50 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,991,790 times
Other than my own, I really don't much like kids either.
My grandkids are OK, though, because I can send them home when they get too annoying.

Old 11-14-2015, 03:59 PM

How are people that have children, supposed to distinguish between other people who:

1. Just do not want children for whatever reason.

And

2. People that hate married couples with children because they have wanted this for themselves, but for whatever reason this has not happened for them. They become resentful and therefore hate every married person with children.

??

Old 11-14-2015, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Seriously, if you are a landlord. Be careful. It really IS like a roach infestation. Let one or two in and then BOOM! They are all over the place. Also if you are a landlord, stop letting parents with kids rent in one bedrooms. I realize you get more money in rent that way, but it skeeves out single and child-free people who don't want to live around that. It's rude and disgusting and single non breeders should actually have more rights when it comes to this matter.
How does the landlord get more money if there are more people in the rental unit? If the 1BR rents for say $1000/mo, that's the rent, no matter who lives there.

Can't understand how it's so difficult for you to find an apartment in a building without families. I've rented or lived in condos for 20 years, including high-rises, and I've never been near anyone with kids. Pick your neighbourhood more strategically, and it can be done. If there are no schools nearby, there likely won't be any kids in the apartment building. Easy peasy.

Old 11-14-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
I can see how that is annoying for you, but by talking like that you will come across as bitter and jealous by people who have children that they love.
I'm seeing a pattern among certain child free folks (not all, by any means, but certainly some of them)... they seem to go to great lengths to show how Society is giving them a hard time for their lifestyle choice. I don't see it happening, in any objective sense. To give an example, years ago on a child free forum, I saw a poster complaining at length about school kids walking across her front lawn... she and her childfree husband bought a house directly across the street from a busy elementary school. How much sense does that make? Gave her something to complain about, I guess. Total victim mentality.

Old 11-14-2015, 04:13 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,635,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
I can see how that is annoying for you, but by talking like that you will come across as bitter and jealous...
Or just a nutcase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology