Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 07:09 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,654,219 times

Advertisements

Is there something that you are (or believe that you are) "guilty" of (even if minor)...unrelated to your current circumstance? You may be addressing that unresolved issue by trying to avoid getting "caught" for something now. Talk to a therapist; the "guilt" might be unconscious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 10:03 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,908,708 times
Mr. kinkytoes. Thank you for coming to this forum. We've been waiting for you here. You've made our job a little easier now. Thank you for giving us the information we need.

Old 03-06-2016, 05:56 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Oh good lord. Who moved this to psychology? After reading my note, I can see why you may think I'm some nut. Here is some explanation of what I wrote above.

1. Based on what I saw on their opt out page, Google does record your voice. They also keep a history of your web searches. You have to explicitly turn off these features. When I opted out, there was an option to turn off voice recording. I had NO IDEA I had agreed to let them record my voice by signing up for a Youtube account. I've closed my account. Voice recording is not listed in the link below, but it was on my list of options:
5 Google Opt-Out Settings To Check - InformationWeek
Opt out of Google's invasion of your privacy | Clark Howard
2. My new Windows 10 has two pieces of software called CAMERA and VOICE RECORDER, which I'd tried to disable as I do any webcams that may come with any new PC. No schizophrenia needed. Anyone who can access your PC and write software can possibly use any of the hardware devices that are installed. The "uninstall" button for these apps is disabled in Windows 10. It looks like other users made some outcry, because there is now a script you can use to get rid of them:
Disable Windows 10 Access to Camera and Microphone for Some or All Apps
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...5-5add063fcccd
3. Yes I'm probably TOO paranoid about being framed...hence the post, but I know three people who this has happened to, one personally. The other two were business people who lost their businesses and homes because of employees who reported them to the authorities for alleged wrongdoing.

Based on what I know, the accusers did not have any solid proof, and this did not seem to matter. The person I know personally defended him/herself, and they found the real culprit, but there are people who have the gall to do this in the first place. Since I've not gotten any real advice, I'll just ask my lawyer.

By the way, if items 1,2 are OK with the people in the Psychology sub-forum, then more power to you. In my opinion, recording my information without permission should not be legal.
You have disabled the items that are suspect on your new OS. Since you have done that, I would think you that you do feel more secure. Normally, I wouldn't worry about the stuff you are worrying about, but I am not in your situation. I get that you are in a work environment, and that you feel you have enemies.

I think you have the right idea about seeing an attorney. He or she can give you concrete ways to protect yourself. But, wouldn't the Google and Microsoft options that you have now deleted have been the things that could prove your innocence in the event of accusation?

I've always understood that one should document everything. I also like the idea of having a notary notarize at least some things. I think you could keep these most safely in a safe deposit box.

I don't know how to protect from someone falsely accusing you. But for accusations to have weight, there has to be evidence. How could someone falsify evidence that would be believable?

I do think you need to talk these fears over with a counselor. First do see an attorney, then please see a counselor.

Old 03-06-2016, 06:13 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,583,975 times
OP - I know what its like to be falsely accused in the work place. Luckily, some of the accusation could be checked with some of the IT records, and of course, they came back as false. Accuser ultimately resigned, but without any blemish on their record. No impact on my career that I could discern, but I never again had a female in my office without a 3rd party present.

As someone once said, "even if you are paranoid, that doesn't mean they aren't out to get you".

Old 03-08-2016, 07:13 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,405,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Mr. kinkytoes. Thank you for coming to this forum. We've been waiting for you here. You've made our job a little easier now. Thank you for giving us the information we need.
LOL you fool. This reminds me, there is some software I need to uninstall...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
OP - I know what its like to be falsely accused in the work place. Luckily, some of the accusation could be checked with some of the IT records, and of course, they came back as false. Accuser ultimately resigned, but without any blemish on their record. No impact on my career that I could discern, but I never again had a female in my office without a 3rd party present.

As someone once said, "even if you are paranoid, that doesn't mean they aren't out to get you".
That is right. I'm sorry that happened to you, but your response made me feel so much better. Thank God there was evidence they could use. I'm glad it hasn't affected you. If I were you, I'd be bitter and then sue the poo out of the accuser in court.

Quote:
Originally Posted by profnot View Post
KT - I don't think you are nuts. I've seen some pretty odd things in my 30+ years working in the legal field.

And my computer at home has been hacked via malware. Severely. Twice.

You might look into insurance to cover litigation and other expenses related to false accusations and anything else. I'm looking into it now.

I don't have a camera or mic on my computer. No plans to add. And I'm not buying a smart TV or any other appliance using voice direction. A friend has a camera on her laptop. She wanted me to type something into it so I borrowed it. One day I set the laptop down while I did something else. When I came back, I saw myself on the monitor. I was being photographed. Yikes.

I agree with the poster who advised documentation. In addition, you might print out occasionally and have the documents notarized. A notary acts as a neutral third-party witness plus the date notarized is on the certificate. Just put a cover statement on a set of docs and have the notary administer the oath, sign the cover sheet, and have notary add a Jurat certificate and seal. Cheap. Your bank might have free notary services.

Good luck!
THANKS that is what I needed. I'm sure insurance companies love people like me. I'm no longer afraid of dogs, so this is my last fear. I'm going to remove it, and admitting it is the first step. It is basically a dumb fear, and possibly unlikely, but it is mine. I'm not alone, and there are some resources available about what to do:
Tips -What To Do If Falsely Accused - Criminal Law Lawyer Source
This is more feel-goody:
Dr. Phil.com - Advice - When You Are Wrongly Accused
If Falsely Accused:
How to Sue for Defamation: 15 Steps (with Pictures)

I'm covered with personal liability. I'll put it on my todo list to find out how it could help me if I'm accused of anything. All of the people I know who had this happen to them were relatively successful ethnic-looking immigrants, and I'm not sure if we are targeted more than others. They must not have had insurance, or the resources to stop working and pay for litigation. I'm just guessing.

I have good references and finances and no rap sheet. Maybe I'll do some volunteer work as well. You never know. Apparently the best defense, is to relax and realize that it is unlikely that someone will accuse me of theft at work... and have the lawyer on speed dial just in case.

Old 03-08-2016, 09:54 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,911,025 times
I'm not a psychologist and my ability to offer advice on this matter is limited.

However, what you are experiencing (based on your post) is similar to what a friend of mine was going through a year ago when he stopped taking his medication related to schizophrenia and bipolar (II).

Nobody had heard from him in three weeks and I was chosen as the sacrificial lamb to be the one that went to his house to check on him.

When I got there, the situation had gone code freakin red. He answered the door and pulled me inside before slamming the door. He made me stare into a large mirror so he could watch my eyes to see if 'they' had 'layered' me and sent me for him. He determined I was all clear.

I asked him why his XBox360 was smashed up and a hammer was near it. He explained that 'they' had put a camera in it to try to get video of him masturbating. He then told me to turn my phone off because it was being used as a bug and I had to take the battery out too.

He started pacing back and forth and told me that he was exhausted from not getting any sleep since Mila Kunis and Charlize Theron were using Inception again (like the movie 'Inception') to spend all night having three-ways with him.

Anyway, the situation was off the hook and included Mason jars full of urine that he saved and wanted tested to see if he was being poisoned, etc.

I had no choice but to call his parents with an update and they took the next steps to have him brought in for what became a ten day visit to an inpatient place for lost causes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology