Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 07:18 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times

Advertisements

Yep, my son. And I'm willing to help him out with some rent to get him out of here! He's really happy to be moving out, too. I'll miss him. He's a joy to have around. He's 25.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 08:07 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,359,979 times
The ones I knew about, there was some codependency issue like alcoholism or drugs. There’s another one, although he lives on his own, his dad helps him out a lot financially. The guy, has trouble making decisions for himself and very passive

Old 03-21-2018, 09:52 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,130,080 times
I’ve known quite a few people who moved back home, but only one person who never left her childhood home. She is the sister of a friend of mine. He gave up a career in the Bay Area, to move back home and help take care of his mom, his sister was already living there. Not sure of her age, I’m guessing 40’s to 50’s. She has a good job, so I’m not sure what her reason is for staying.

The family is very affluent, a house in one of the wealthiest areas in town, they spent summer vacations in Coronado, San Diego. They are a traditional Italian family, so maybe it’s normal for the unmarried daughter to live at home if she’s not married. I’m guessing comfort and familiarity win out, over new and the unknown with some people.

Old 03-24-2018, 02:00 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,250,684 times
Yes, the typical story of Asian families that aren't affected by American criticisms.

Old 03-24-2018, 07:02 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,055,996 times
Know of two grown men who were too lazy to get a job and support themselves . . . and the parents were the typical enablers.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:00 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
Yes, the typical story of Asian families that aren't affected by American criticisms.
Also (traditionally) Italian families and actually many other ethnic groups from countries not quite as wasteful, shallow, and silly as the USA. They also tend to keep their elderly at home and care for them personally rather than warehousing them in institutions, which is sadly the American way now. Many hands make light work!

Old 03-24-2018, 10:46 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
I knew a guy in his 50s in VT who had never moved out of his parents' home. The weirdest part was his bedroom was just like a kid's---he had never changed it from boyish stuff. I was kind of freaked out. He did have a job---just maintenance for some apartments, but I could never figure out what was going on. It seemed to work for them all and I'm sure he cared for them later on. He claimed to be looking at property now and then, but nothing came of it....

To the OP, he only had online "girlfriends"---no real flesh-and-blood relationships that I knew of. Physical attributes aside, his living arrangements and lack of ambition put me off furthering our friendship, which he wanted. It was a deal-breaker to me, right or wrong.

Another 60s guy I know with a minimal job, moved back home to take care of his ailing mother; but I put that in a totally different category and think this is a great arrangement for both. He will inherit the double-wide, but worries about making the $500 lot rental when she passes. He's a janitor. I guess it will be roommate time.

Old 03-24-2018, 01:35 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
I agree with you. So much of whether something is good or bad or right or wrong (probably most of it) is purely subjective. All this talk about independence (or lack thereof) or living at home with parents or being out on your own as being absolutely good or bad is absurd (in my opinion). People are different. What works for one person, may not not work for someone else. What is appropriate for one family, may be inappropriate for another family. But too often people (when critiquing something or someone else) get too carried away with injecting their own personal views, values and opinions into the critique, which turns the critique itself into a simple opinion (not based on any objective fact) that is irrelevant and often times mean-spirited. And that is ok (at least the opinion part), since we are all entitled to our opinions and beliefs. But opinions and beliefs are not necessarily facts, but often people will act as if their version of reality or what they think is the appropriate version of reality is the ONLY one that matters; or, that their version is more right than the next person's. Too much personal bias and often times ego gets in the way and gives some people the sense that their way is the right way just because.

Live and let live. I may think that your lifestyle or living arrangement is ridiculous or abnormal, but as long as your lifestyle or living arrangement doesn't negatively impact me directly, what business is it of mine to worry about how you live or with whom you live?

Old 03-24-2018, 01:55 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
I have a relative in her mid 60's who still lives at home. She left her parent's home for 3 years in her early 20's while attending university but went straight back home to a refurbished basement suite in her parents house after she finished university and has remained there for the past 40 years or so. She's always had excellent full time employment and has worked continuously, she's self-confident, attractive and physically fit and healthy, has a very active social life with great friends, is well travelled during vacation times, has never married, never had children. She pays rent and her share of utilities, is very helpful at the house and in doing shopping and other errands or chores for her aging parents (now in their late 80's). Everybody is happy with the living arrangement.

Old 03-25-2018, 07:48 PM

1,092 posts, read 580,096 times
I have a 70-something aunt who has lived in the same house since she was 7 years old. She lived there with her parents until they were both gone, and now lives by herself.

I also have a friend who is nearly 50 and the youngest of 3 siblings. As far as I know they all live with the parents. The older son never moved out. The daughter left home, married and had kids, then divorced. After the divorce she left the state for a number of years, then returned and now lives at home again. The younger son also married, divorced and returned home. He is in a long term relationship, but neither of them has enough money to own their own home.

I don't ask questions. I try to accept people for who they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology