Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 10:59 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,029,396 times

Advertisements

If you have only been on this journey for 5 months, people could be wondering why you don't eat what you used to eat. I still stand by my belief that there are better ways of saying that. "I'm watching what I eat these days" isn't lying, but it's a little nicer than what you described.

You've been eating healthy and working out for 5 months, and you think you're some kind of expert who should be sharing your harsh version of weight loss advice with the world?

And again, you've got it wrong. No particular food makes you fat. Eating too much unhealthy food makes you fat. You can eat pizza or burgers for lunch every single day and lose weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 12:02 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,351,562 times
Why do the verbal sparring? Why not "I love it, ya want some?" Or stop trying to come off as all self-righteous and say "you should see how I eat on Sunday afternoons! Nothing but chocolate cream pie, all afternoon! 3 or 4 of them!"

Have fun with life and don't obsess over the small insignificant stuff.

Old 04-10-2016, 02:03 PM

14,812 posts, read 8,139,957 times
I eat pretty healthy, and don't do the fast food/junk food thing anymore but I have not encountered the problem you
mentioned - but then again I don't judge other people on their food choices either. I am pro free choice when it comes to
food, and don't judge others for their choices - usually if you don't get all judgemental and self righteous about this
issue, neither do other people. BUT, if you act like you are better than other people because of your food choices, they will pick up on this.

Old 04-10-2016, 02:04 PM

14,812 posts, read 8,139,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Why do the verbal sparring? Why not "I love it, ya want some?" Or stop trying to come off as all self-righteous and say "you should see how I eat on Sunday afternoons! Nothing but chocolate cream pie, all afternoon! 3 or 4 of them!"

Have fun with life and don't obsess over the small insignificant stuff.
Yes. This...especially that last sentence.

Old 04-10-2016, 06:13 PM

162 posts, read 155,960 times
"How do you stay so thin?"
"Do you do coke?"
"No offense but most guys like girls with curves."
"My boyfriend said you would be so much prettier if you weren't skinny."
"You;re stuck up because you are thin."
"I'm fat but you just aren't pretty"

ETC.
85% of fat people I encounter have said the above statements or variations of them to make me feel bad about myself. Now with this fat acceptance movement, they are getting even more mean. I'm sorry if I sound ignorant. I generally do not judge people based on their size but it's ok for people to judge me based on my lack of excess body fat? Idk if it's because they were bullied and hyper-defensive or what? I was bullied for speaking English with an accent, having glasses and ugly clothes and being hyperactive but I don't set out to make others feel bad because of it. I know the media makes fat people feel bad about themselves too but IT'S NOT MY FAULT.

Old 04-13-2016, 12:48 PM

876 posts, read 1,003,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
OK, let me get this straight, you are eating healthy and just HOW do these "Fat People" know you're counting every calorie? Are they asking you? or are you stridently telling them "I'm COUNTING CALORIES!"
The offer me food and I say I reject it and when they ask why I say it doesn't fit into my diet/calories.

Old 10-11-2016, 07:52 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,323,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
So 5 or so months ago I finally started eating healthy and working out. I have already lost some decent weight and have obtained some muscle. That's great, except that now for some reason fat people tend to treat me differently than before, and generally in a bad way. They tend to make snide comments about how I eat or even accuse me of being an extremist because I count all my calories and never eat anything if it isn't a part of my diet program. I suspect that most are merely insecure and resentful that I am doing something they don't have the discipline to do. While I suspected that might happen with SOME people, I am honestly pretty baffled and depressed at how often this is happening.

I suppose that his is probably the moment in time where the PC defense force will show up and insist that we are only talking about a few bad apples and that most fat people don't do this. This is wrong. No, we are not merely talking about a few bad apples. As a general rule of thumb, whenever a fat person finds out about how I eat/live, they like me less than before. Either they just say nothing/avoid looking at me and don't really like being around me without saying why, or they mock my lifestyle and insist that it's not healthy/normal. This isn't the exception, it's the rule.

Even worse is how easily offended some of these people tend to be. At times it can be almost impossible to talk about my lifestyle without causing the fat person to ask at one point or another "are you saying I'm fat???" even when literally the only did I did was describing what I eat (because it makes it more obvious how **** the eating habits of the fat person are). Here is an example of how a typical conversation might play out:

Fat person:
Why do you only eat this/why don't you eat more?
Me: Because it's not healthy and would make me fat.
Fat person: Lots of people eat this way.
Me: Lots of people are fat.
Fat person: Are you saying then that I am fat???
Me: ..........Ugh? No, you.....ugh...look fine. I guess???
Fat person: Then why won't you eat this?
Me: (**** now what the **** am I suppose to say???)

And this has started to make me think. Why are fat people generally more unpleasant and were they already like this before they became fat? I suppose this is an example of a chicken Vs the egg thing. Does becoming fat make people arrogant and insecure or are arrogant and insecure people far more likely to get very fat?
Our individual experiences are different, and we each see the world and its people differently. And a mistake many of us make is forming a generalized view about someone or some group based on our limited experience
with certain members of a particular group or class of people. Humans become biased very easily, probably because of our evolutionary history, where being biased and prejudiced helped us to assemble and survive.
But having said that, my personal gut reaction stemming from my very limited life experience is to say thatI find fit people (people who workout and eat to look good and be healthy) to be far more arrogant and self-centered than obese or unfit people. I believe that looking good and striving to physically impress carries with it a palpable dose of ego and superiority, which emits a cocky, 'I'm special' type of vibe.

My $0.02.

Old 10-14-2016, 07:40 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,713,978 times
Quote:
And this has started to make me think. Why are fat people generally more unpleasant and were they already like this before they became fat? I suppose this is an example of a chicken Vs the egg thing. Does becoming fat make people arrogant and insecure or are arrogant and insecure people far more likely to get very fat?
If they were overweight their entire life, then it may be years of bitterness from being called "fat" in school. And schools need to crack down on bullying and that's a fact. It shouldn't happen.

Just from observation, most overweight people I know are not nice. Overweight women can be particularly cruel to women who are thinner than they are.

I know there are going to be flames on the board from me posting this, and I'm okay with that. It's not going to bother me but I also won't be responding to the flamers. Better things to do with my time.

Old 10-14-2016, 01:23 PM

125 posts, read 184,069 times
Having grown up as the skinny kid, I've been made fun of by all my fat friends waaaay more than any of them have been made fun of. The funny thing is, they were always the ones to attack first, "jeez you're like a toothpick, I could snap you in half like nothing. Eat something you anorexic tard." Funny thing is, I was not anorexic or even that close, I just wasn't 300lbs and just over 5' tall.

It's amazing the replies I see here, I'd almost bet money the one's calling OP a liar are just more fat lazy people who're offended by nothing other than a true observation. They have all the power in the world to change their weight, but would rather act like they can't and act like they are the victim because that get's them the "most" with the least effort.

Old 10-14-2016, 01:29 PM

20,072 posts, read 13,531,776 times
Quote:
If you pay attention to how slender people treat you, over time you'll notice they treat you gradually better. It's just the other side of the same coin. I gradually began losing weight in the late 1990s (I am currently around 70-80 pounds under my peak weight, still could loose another 20 or 25, but I have reclassified myself from obese to moderately overweight). I didn't seem to have any other heavy people in my life, so all I noticed was how much BETTER I was being treated by others. And it honked me off and doubled my resolve to stay with it. Darned if I was going to give people an opportunity to judge me like that. I hadn't noticed overtly bad treatment when I was overweight, it was kind of low grade I guess, but notable by its absence after I shed the first 40 pounds or so. I got more respect, more attentiveness, had less trouble being heard / appreciated, etc. When I realized how badly I had been treated over time in a sort of low grade way, it made me angry. And it has served to help me keep the weight off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology