Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 10:52 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times

Advertisements

I've seen this happen, so it's not just something the OP made up (I don't know about his posting history).

When someone who has been overweight starts getting really healthy and loses weight, their overweight peers sometimes treat them like they are "defecting." At work I don't get involved in personal relationships, but people talk in front of me all the time, and I've heard some serious trashing of formerly overweight people who have slimmed down, and it's most often overweight people doing that trashing.

I do think that in most cases it's envy and resentment, because that person slimming down is doing something the overweight person has not been able to do, but wishes to do. It's kind of similar to the single people who get angry and resentful when their friends all seem to be getting married.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 11:05 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,271,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post

Are you eating healthy and working out?

I've lost about 20+ pounds since the beginning of the year. I've just made changes to my diet/lifestyle, as I tend to stress eat.

I walk a lot at work/that's currently all the exercise I do. I plan on bumping that up to more walking/cardio in a couple of weeks.

The only comments I've heard are along the vein of: "Are you working out?" and/or "You don't need to lose weight, you look good." These are from people of all types.

I was at 205+ pounds, now I'm at 183-4. My goal is 165-170 with mostly muscle.

I've never once felt arrogance from an overweight person.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:12 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,050,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
I've lost about 20+ pounds since the beginning of the year. I've just made changes to my diet/lifestyle, as I tend to stress eat.

I walk a lot at work/that's currently all the exercise I do. I plan on bumping that up to more walking/cardio in a couple of weeks.

The only comments I've heard are along the vein of: "Are you working out?" and/or "You don't need to lose weight, you look good." These are from people of all types.

I was at 205+ pounds, now I'm at 183-4. My goal is 165-170 with mostly muscle.

I've never once felt arrogance from an overweight person.
Me too.

I did weight watchers even though I'm a middle aged male (haha) and eating well with no changes to my moderate exercise routine...down 30# and holding.

I don't need to fake-experience arrogance from fat people to feel better.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:12 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Just your way of trying to take a swipe at overweight people. It's not the "fat" people with the arrogance. It's you. You're the one with the insecurity. If you were secure with your weight loss, you wouldn't feel the need to post this. Jade's right - you were fat before (and you may be still chunky now) and now that you are no longer a "fat person" you feel the need to make absurd claims about fat people to make yourself feel good about eating right. A humblebrag indeed, though not particularly humble. I've never encountered what you've posted. What I did encounter were well meaning people saying that I shouldn't "lose too much". I never took that as arrogance or jealousy. Focus on getting your yard in order and don't worry about what others are doing or what they say.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:23 AM

865 posts, read 1,488,011 times
Actually, I had quite the opposite experience. People who are more overweight than me since I lost weight and started exercising more ask me what I am doing to achieve the results I have, and ask for tips with healthy food choices. Occasionally I will get someone who will say don't lose too much weight, or ask if I miss baked goods...lol!

Old 04-08-2016, 11:32 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,274,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Just your way of trying to take a swipe at overweight people. It's not the "fat" people with the arrogance. It's you. You're the one with the insecurity. If you were secure with your weight loss, you wouldn't feel the need to post this. Jade's right - you were fat before (and you may be still chunky now) and now that you are no longer a "fat person" you feel the need to make absurd claims about fat people to make yourself feel good about eating right. A humblebrag indeed, though not particularly humble. I've never encountered what you've posted. What I did encounter were well meaning people saying that I shouldn't "lose too much". I never took that as arrogance or jealousy. Focus on getting your yard in order and don't worry about what others are doing or what they say.

Yep.

OP,

When I first lost weight, I was very mean to fat people. Looking down my nose at 'them', critiquing what they ate, all because I was no longer one of them.

I erroneously concluded that if I hated them enough, I wouldn't become one of them again.

Check yourself before you wreck yourself, OP. Been there, done that.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:33 AM

20,756 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I've seen this happen, so it's not just something the OP made up (I don't know about his posting history).

When someone who has been overweight starts getting really healthy and loses weight, their overweight peers sometimes treat them like they are "defecting." At work I don't get involved in personal relationships, but people talk in front of me all the time, and I've heard some serious trashing of formerly overweight people who have slimmed down, and it's most often overweight people doing that trashing.

I do think that in most cases it's envy and resentment, because that person slimming down is doing something the overweight person has not been able to do, but wishes to do.
^^^ this.

Old 04-08-2016, 12:28 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
So 5 or so months ago I finally started eating healthy and working out. I have already lost some decent weight and have obtained some muscle. That's great, except that now for some reason fat people tend to treat me differently than before, and generally in a bad way. They tend to make snide comments about how I eat or even accuse me of being an extremist because I count all my calories and never eat anything if it isn't a part of my diet program. I suspect that most are merely insecure and resentful that I am doing something they don't have the discipline to do. While I suspected that might happen with SOME people, I am honestly pretty baffled and depressed at how often this is happening.

I suppose that his is probably the moment in time where the PC defense force will show up and insist that we are only talking about a few bad apples and that most fat people don't do this. This is wrong. No, we are not merely talking about a few bad apples. As a general rule of thumb, whenever a fat person finds out about how I eat/live, they like me less than before. Either they just say nothing/avoid looking at me and don't really like being around me without saying why, or they mock my lifestyle and insist that it's not healthy/normal. This isn't the exception, it's the rule.

Even worse is how easily offended some of these people tend to be. At times it can be almost impossible to talk about my lifestyle without causing the fat person to ask at one point or another "are you saying I'm fat???" even when literally the only did I did was describing what I eat (because it makes it more obvious how **** the eating habits of the fat person are). Here is an example of how a typical conversation might play out:

Fat person:
Why do you only eat this/why don't you eat more?
Me: Because it's not healthy and would make me fat.
Fat person: Lots of people eat this way.
Me: Lots of people are fat.
Fat person: Are you saying then that I am fat???
Me: ..........Ugh? No, you.....ugh...look fine. I guess???
Fat person: Then why won't you eat this?
Me: (**** now what the **** am I suppose to say???)

And this has started to make me think. Why are fat people generally more unpleasant and were they already like this before they became fat? I suppose this is an example of a chicken Vs the egg thing. Does becoming fat make people arrogant and insecure or are arrogant and insecure people far more likely to get very fat?
I've dieted many times in my lifetime, and I can only remember once, years ago, having this sort of harassment about my eating. If your "friends" don't want you to be healthy, honestly, I'd write them off and find new friends.

Whether or not I am dieting, I always applaud anyone who is taking her health seriously enough to change. I would expect the same from any of my friends. At the very least, I expect my eating choices to be respected and not commented on.

The people who are harassing you aren't your friends, although perhaps they have been your eating companions.

Old 04-08-2016, 12:38 PM

22,557 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Then why am I seeing this mostly from fat people?
Because you are looking for it from fat people.

They way you describe it... it seems that you are the arrogant (and insecure) one.

Old 04-08-2016, 12:39 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
I can't wait to hear what supposedly happens when the OP cuts back on booze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology