Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 05:40 PM

657 posts, read 407,761 times

Advertisements

[quote=elhelmete;]A bogeyman is as real as it gets? Nope. /QUOTE]

I stand corrected; the bogyman thought is not a real creature, the emotions aroused by it are as real as it gets. The' thought of bogyman' is as inert as any placebo sugar pill, I assumed that was recognized by you, but you 'don't get it ' yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelme
No it wasn't established. Most things that characterize one's path through life can't be simply deemed true or false, which is why tweaking your mind with thought evaluation and replacement is ultimately futile.
It was not futile to stop being afraid of a thought when recognizing thoughts per se are not harmful, only when believed do thoughts arouse emotions.

Your path through life involves facts and thoughts ABOUT facts. learn the difference.

Old 04-13-2016, 05:49 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakoz-2 View Post
It was not futile to stop being afraid of a thought when recognizing thoughts per se are not harmful, only when believed do thoughts arouse emotions.

Your path through life involves facts and thoughts ABOUT facts. learn the difference.
Ahhh, binary thinking. If only...

Old 04-13-2016, 10:33 PM

[quote=elhelmete; If only...[/QUOTE]

That's preface to assumptions, are you going to automatically react to them or will your recognize them as such 'this time' finally?

Old 04-14-2016, 07:34 AM

14,776 posts, read 8,109,336 times
This thread is interesting. I have always felt this way. It's one of the reasons why, sometime you have two totally different people in the exact situation - one is blissful (or at least content) and the other is miserable and unhappy.

They have the exact same realities yet their focus - whether it be on the good or the bad, is the only real difference sometimes. Life sometimes is just what you make it - you can choose to be happy or you can chose to be unhappy.

Old 04-14-2016, 12:09 PM

If what you might call a 'false' thought nevertheless creates happy feelings in you, what should you do?

"Happy feelings" built on a false premise are no match for true peace and wisdom borne out of recognition that we are always living through the feelings of our thoughts. The former is polishing a turd, the latter is emotional intelligence.

Old 04-14-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
If what you might call a 'false' thought nevertheless creates happy feelings in you, what should you do?

"Happy feelings" built on a false premise are no match for true peace and wisdom borne out of recognition that we are always living through the feelings of our thoughts. The former is polishing a turd, the latter is emotional intelligence.
quote..." we are always living through the feelings of our thoughts";- even through the 'polished turd' ones.
No one denies; "we are always living through the feelings of our thoughts".
I would only add "we don't always recognize that fact", we could even call that lack of recognition a "sin".

quote=elhelmete; "If what you might call a 'false' thought nevertheless creates happy feelings in you, what should you do? /quote.
Simple; go on believing that; "we are always living through the feelings of our thought"; that's as constant as gravity.

Old 04-14-2016, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakoz-2 View Post
quote..." we are always living through the feelings of our thoughts";- even through the 'polished turd' ones.
No one denies; "we are always living through the feelings of our thoughts".
I would only add "we don't always recognize that fact", we could even call that lack of recognition a "sin".

quote=elhelmete; "If what you might call a 'false' thought nevertheless creates happy feelings in you, what should you do? /quote.
Simple; go on believing that; "we are always living through the feelings of our thought"; that's as constant as gravity.
Now you're talking!

Gravity is an excellent example. It works without any help from us.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:14 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,345,556 times
I would like to think that there is an option that someday sakoz-2 will actually post a constructive thread that helps someone and doesn't just serve the purpose of playing people against people or to create hate and discontent.
But to actually believe that something like that will happen would be the same as believing that the bogyman doesn't still have an profound lifelong influence on his Amygdalae since he brings it up that the bogy man is scary in every thread even though no one has told him that they are or were scared of the myth.

I actually look forward to sakoz-2's frequent conditioned use of the emoticon followed by in his response.

I have been conditioned to find them a humorous support to his arguments that other's don't "get it" but he does.
I'm sure that deep down that his intentions are benevolent.

By the way, sakoz-2, you probably think that this commentary post is about you !
But it is actually directed through the use of third person words at other readers reading this thread so you don't need to reply.

Old 04-14-2016, 10:10 PM

[quote=NickofDiamonds;43718892]..... believing that the bogyman doesn't still have an profound lifelong influence on his Amygdalae since he brings it up that the bogy man is scary in every thread even though no one has told him that they are or were scared of the myth./QUOTE]

It's obvious that Nick is 'hung-up' on my use of bogyman. Bogyman is the specific content of a thought.
So let me express the same idea without using specific content, thus,"Our amygdalae react to thought", (regardless of specific content.) I,used 'bogyman' because many people can relate to that experience because of their direct experience of reacting to 'thought'; actually any thought will do.
Yes, Nick, bogyman 'is' a myth it's ONLY the content of a specific thought. It's a fact that amygdalae react to thought, (you fill in the content of the thought you prefer to use). now do you get my use of bogyman?
Is the 'leap' too abstract for you?
(Where were you when I wrote, I can 'think' of bogyman' now WITHOUT my amygalae reacting. I never said 'bogyman' is scary, ONLY the "thought of" aroused fear BEFORE I RECOGONIZED it was ONLY my 'thought'.) Is that clear enough for you now?

Last edited by sakoz-2; 04-14-2016 at 10:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology