Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 06:51 AM

657 posts, read 407,447 times

Advertisements

(Continued) Nick's post #29 is a 'perfect' example of the Zen story:
"LOOKING AT THE FINGER POINTING AT THE MOON"
It's not necessary to repeat the story, but it is for Nick's sake:

"On a clear evening of the full moon, you step outside to get a better look. Your dog is with you, so you point to the moon, but your dog only looks at your finger. You try again and your dog only looks at your finger."

I used the word 'bogyman' as a pointer, but Nick only looks at my pointer, and not what I point at. (the general term "thought".) I point several times, but Nick only looks at the pointer each time.
It's time I stop pointing for Nick because he won't look at what I point to.
(Is that OCD ? obsessive/compulsive disorder or stubbornness or what?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 03:09 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,343,582 times
[quote=sakoz-2;43719813]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
..... believing that the bogyman doesn't still have an profound lifelong influence on his Amygdalae since he brings it up that the bogy man is scary in every thread even though no one has told him that they are or were scared of the myth./QUOTE]

It's obvious that Nick is 'hung-up' on my use of bogyman. Bogyman is the specific content of a thought.
So let me express the same idea without using specific content, thus,"Our amygdalae react to thought", (regardless of specific content.) I,used 'bogyman' because many people can relate to that experience because of their direct experience of reacting to 'thought'; actually any thought will do.
Yes, Nick, bogyman 'is' a myth it's ONLY the content of a specific thought. It's a fact that amygdalae react to thought, (you fill in the content of the thought you prefer to use). now do you get my use of bogyman?
I have repeatedly got it

Is the 'leap' too abstract for you? No worries, I can take and visualize huge abstract leaps

(Where were you when I wrote, I can 'think' of bogyman' now WITHOUT my amygalae reacting
If this truly is an honest question, I was at work.

. I never said 'bogyman' is scary, ONLY the "thought of" aroused fear BEFORE I RECOGONIZED it was ONLY my 'thought'.) Is that clear enough for you now?
It's very clear that the thought of the bogyman aroused fear in you before you recognized that it was only your thoughts.
My above observation only states that your frequent use of the abstract object of the
'bogyman' must have left a scar on your psyche as you can't seem to let it go as a symbol of a child like fear which makes your observations seem childish which results in creating humor in mature adults.
It's only JMHO !
Is this too subjective for you ?
Do your thoughts create feelings that make you react like you're being personally attacked when other people respond to you with their perceptions ?

Old 04-15-2016, 03:44 PM

My message has been and still is; "our amygdalae react to thoughts involuntarily/automatically" (notice no period) because that's only half of my message; the other half is; "we can VETO/DISMISS any thought BEFORE our amygdalae react to it.
Nick tries to incite my amygdalae, but does not recognize I veto/dismiss his written thoughts BEFORE they arouse my amygdalae.
The fact that amygdalae react to thoughts automatically is NOT IMMUTABLE, because we CAN veto/dismiss thoughts BEFORE our amygdalae react to it or them.
If anyone 'overcame' a fear or anxiety it would help Nick to see if you would report it here. For example, if anyone 'used to' be afraid of going into water/pools/rivers to swim but 'got over it' and now go swimming, report it here and 'blow' Nicks mind.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:48 PM

[QUOTE=NickofDiamonds;
Do your thoughts create feelings that make you react like you're being personally attacked when other people respond to you with their perceptions ?
[/QUOTE

You wish, try harder. (Your fabrications don't pass for perceptions.) Your 'unwittingly' doing the very thing I'm trying to point out to you, but you still 'look at the finger pointing instead of looking at what is being pointed out to you'. I won't give up on you.

Last edited by sakoz-2; 04-15-2016 at 04:14 PM..

Old 04-15-2016, 07:28 PM

[quote=sakoz-2;43728169][quote=NickofDiamonds;
[/QUOTE

You wish, try harder. (Your fabrications don't pass for perceptions.) Your 'unwittingly' doing the very thing I'm trying to point out to you, but you still 'look at the finger pointing instead of looking at what is being pointed out to you'. I won't give up on you.[/QUOTE]

Old 04-15-2016, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakoz-2 View Post
My message has been and still is; "our amygdalae react to thoughts involuntarily/automatically" (notice no period) because that's only half of my message; the other half is; "we can VETO/DISMISS any thought BEFORE our amygdalae react to it.
Nick tries to incite my amygdalae, but does not recognize I veto/dismiss his written thoughts BEFORE they arouse my amygdalae.
The fact that amygdalae react to thoughts automatically is NOT IMMUTABLE, because we CAN veto/dismiss thoughts BEFORE our amygdalae react to it or them.
If anyone 'overcame' a fear or anxiety it would help Nick to see if you would report it here. For example, if anyone 'used to' be afraid of going into water/pools/rivers to swim but 'got over it' and now go swimming, report it here and 'blow' Nicks mind.

No answers !
It looks like everyone is still afraid of going into water/pools/rivers to swim.

Now that blows my mind !

Old 04-15-2016, 08:12 PM

[quote=NickofDiamonds;43730318]No answers !
It looks like everyone is still afraid of going into water/pools/rivers to swim.

Now that blows my mind ! :eek/QUOTE]

We agree on that; No answers; we may as well 'wrap it up'.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:22 PM

When 'assuming', we are simulating perceptions without recognizing doing so, so of course our amygdalae react to them 'as if' they were genuine perceptions, no wonder there's so much 'needless' emotional suffering. When we don't recognize doing a process, we can't dismiss/veto/rescind it, before amygdalae react.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology