Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 02:37 AM

283 posts, read 327,824 times

Advertisements

I'm a 20 something year old male and am afraid of women

Here's how I do things

- I never frequent establishments where I know women will be present (cafes, malls, movie theatres, etc)

- Never go to clubs or parties

- Never commute to college during prime hours. Only in the evening, early morning or weekends

- One of the reasons I take online classes is to avoid women

- I never make eye contact with them, stick to looking at the ground

- I avoid them whenever possible. When I see a girl or a group of girls, I get out of dodge to the best of my ability

- I never apply for job positions where I know I'll be interacting with lots of women. If I do have to work with women, I avoid them and only speak to them briefly when I have to

- I wear hoodies so women can't see my face

I was made fun of and mocked by women relentlessly growing up. I am ugly, ethnic, short and scrawny. I have no self confidence as a young adult and I'm very socially awkward. This is where the fear of women comes from

For a full time career, I plan on working with computers so not a lot of physical interaction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 05:34 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
OK? Good luck with that?

Old 05-04-2016, 08:45 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Try toastmasters. And working out to give you endorphons and help with confidence.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:53 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Try toastmasters. And working out to give you endorphons and help with confidence.
Or some kind of therapy. What the OP is describing is not so much a preference as a pathology, and it's going to hold him back in life if he can't even interact with women in a general way.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:58 AM

2,682 posts, read 2,181,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Or some kind of therapy. What the OP is describing is not so much a preference as a pathology, and it's going to hold him back in life if he can't even interact with women in a general way.

Absolutely right.
OP -- do you have any counseling resources through your school? This is more than just a dating issue, it will affect your entire life and you should think about getting some ongoing, face-to-face personal support.

What if you go for your first real job interview and its an attractive woman asking the questions?

Old 05-04-2016, 09:11 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
had the same issue, concentrate on their nostrils when you talk to them and try and make them laugh...but no rape or incest jokes ...go with the 'ol "dumb blonde" assortment, it won't matter what color their hair is as the blondes won't pick up on the connection anyway.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:13 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
practise social interactions with less attractive women and work your way up.

Example:

Read stories to older women in nursing homes.
Volunteer or work at a hospital in an area with weight loss/gastric bypass stuff or cancer
Volunteer or work in a place where mentally challenged women are
Volunteer or work in a place where disabled women are.

BTW, pretty women poo and pee just like you and me and they have gas, too!

Old 05-04-2016, 09:18 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,834,060 times
Default I have a terrifying fear of attractive women

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonBradu View Post

I am ugly, ethnic, short and scrawny...I'm very socially awkward.
There are plenty of socially awkward, ugly, ethnic, short and scrawny women that have a terrifying fear of attractive men.

Seek them out.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:25 AM

953 posts, read 843,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
... BTW, pretty women poo and pee just like you and me and they have gas, too!
Ah, yes ... poo, pee and gas ... the universal equalizers ... remembering that may actually help the OP.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:43 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,788,986 times
What do you think is going to happen? As an adult, you know that it's highly unlikely that an attractive woman is going to say anything disparaging to you while you're walking through the streets, right? This is an irrational fear and could probably be dealt with through therapy. It's not feasible or realistic to go through life avoiding women, so in order to have a good life, you need to get rid of your fear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology