Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 01:45 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,637,377 times

Advertisements

**If mods feel this isn't appropriate, please feel free to delete it. I mean no harm or "attacking" of any individuals. Just curious. **

One thing I've wondered for years is the whole "Transgender" deal in human sexuality. I completely understand homosexuality and bisexuality. You're attracted to who you're attracted to.

What I don't get is the whole "I'm a dude, but feel like a girl" (or vice versa) thing. I'm a guy. When I'm turned on, I get an erection. I assume that these guys are the same way as it's an automatic function of the male body.

I just can't wrap my head around "Let's go chop my penis off and put a hole there instead" thing as I'm not sure how having a fake Vagina would help.

I also don't understand since gender roles as we know it are a product of human creation. The clothing we wear, makeup, etc, is all a product of humans assigning one thing to a certain gender, which isn't biological at all. I mean, I'm the same size as my girlfriend, and have worn some of her clothes and don't feel different. And I did a few plays in the past and have worn makeup and haven't feel any more "feminine" than normal.

Maybe I'm oversimplifying things?

Is Transgenderism more of a Psycological thing more than a physical?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 01:54 PM

460 posts, read 1,005,105 times
I am assuming you are a man. Imagine if you had to wake up every morning and put on women's shoes and clothes. And put on makeup. And use the women's bathroom. And carry a purse. You think why would I want to wear women's clothes and do all that, that's not right. I imagine that's the feeling someone who feels the wrong gender experiences in every aspect of their life.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:58 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,637,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepman91919 View Post
I am assuming you are a man. Imagine if you had to wake up every morning and put on women's shoes and clothes. And put on makeup. And use the women's bathroom. And carry a purse. You think why would I want to wear women's clothes and do all that, that's not right. I imagine that's the feeling someone who feels the wrong gender experiences in every aspect of their life.
But all of what you mentioned is created by humans. 2,000 years ago, purses didn't exist. And bathrooms were holes in the ground. Did Transgenders not exist 2000 years ago?

I would think that was weird today since I was brought up as a man and the gender stereotypes were ingrained in me since I was born. I would assume the same is said for Transgenders as well, that they were brought up and raised in the sex their genitalia classified them as.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:17 PM

50,815 posts, read 36,514,503 times
I really think they are born that way, it has nothing to do with psychology (we am not talking about guys who just like to wear women's clothes, but men and women who truly feel they were born the wrong sex. I think when the egg splits into gender, it doesn't split completely enough or something else goes wrong with the process during the very beginning stages of pregnancy.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:12 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,846,475 times
They just do it for attention. They aren't "born that way."

Old 01-12-2015, 08:52 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,757,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
I just can't wrap my head around "Let's go chop my penis off and put a hole there instead" thing as I'm not sure how having a fake Vagina would help.
Well, nature is known for occasionally making mistakes. We don't know the reasons why some people are born transgendered, but we do know that it happens. It may have to do with certain hormones during an unborn baby's development. Who knows. You as a regular man can't fathom that a person could be born into what they perceive as the wrong body. But that's just the way that you personally see things. You don't know what they themselves feel in their minds and in their bodies.

There does exist what's known as "intersex" people - they were once shamefully referred to as "hermaphrodites". Even though that's different from being transgendered, but it goes to show that nature doesn't always get things right. So, the point is that if nature can produce intersex people then it can also produce transgendered people.

I do agree with you though that creating a "fake vagina" wouldn't help, especially since the person would lose the ability to orgasm. But I guess that by having the surgery, they feel complete in that their body finally matches their mind.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:01 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,513,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
Well, nature is known for occasionally making mistakes. We don't know the reasons why some people are born transgendered, but we do know that it happens. It may have to do with certain hormones during an unborn baby's development. Who knows. You as a regular man can't fathom that a person could be born into what they perceive as the wrong body. But that's just the way that you personally see things. You don't know what they themselves feel in their minds and in their bodies.

There does exist what's known as "intersex" people - they were once shamefully referred to as "hermaphrodites". Even though that's different from being transgendered, but it goes to show that nature doesn't always get things right. So, the point is that if nature can produce intersex people then it can also produce transgendered people.

I do agree with you though that creating a "fake vagina" wouldn't help, especially since the person would lose the ability to orgasm. But I guess that by having the surgery, they feel complete in that their body finally matches their mind.
I'm going to deconstruct your whole thread here later but once misconception I can shatter for you right now is most post-op transwomen have the ability to orgasm. I'll be back to educate the ignorant when I don't have patients to see.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:02 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,513,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
They just do it for attention. They aren't "born that way."
Right because people want the kind of attention that can get them killed by ignorant bigots and hatemongers. Good answer!

Old 01-13-2015, 10:18 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
I fully support a trangender person's desire to live an honest and fulfilling life, but it is a difficult concept to grasp sometimes. It brings up the whole amorphous question of what it really means to be a man or a woman. A while back I saw a news piece on parents open to their small children living a transgender life (this was long before Brad and Angelina's child was in the news.) After seeing it I wondered if, for example, a five-year-old child born a boy wants to ride a pink bike and have long hair and wear a dress, does that mean that he wants to be (or is) a girl, or does that mean that he doesn't want to fit into the gender roles and stereotypes that society or family are pushing him towards. Since at that age it's not a sexual thing, what is the psychology there?

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 01-13-2015 at 11:21 AM..

Old 01-13-2015, 10:27 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
Atheists don't read this, sorry, it will offend...maybe.

Caverunner,
I understand this is not in the Unexplained Mysteries area...but...this is the deal...
we have past lives....
try being a male the last 20 lifetimes, then suddenly pop out a woman!!!
They can't adapt.

If you have NOT been back and forth a man and then a woman many times...
you are not very well rounded, thus, the shock...the difficulty integrating.

Oh, if they could just hang in there and not change their bodies...
what great lessons they could learn...
And that is WHY they were sent here that gender.

We are all being molded like a clay pot in Demi's hands...oh, I meant God's...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology