Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 08:35 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,025,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
I'm interested in certain things to the point of wild obsession, but I usually just waste my time daydreaming about it. I may read more about certain subjects than other people, and I come off as intelligent because of it, but, no, it doesn't really help me do anything more productive than anyone else. In fact, sometimes it hampers it. I was just wondering if I was unique in this.
Try not to feel bad about this, if that's what's happening. LOTS of us, NT or non-NT, dream a lot more than we do.

I don't know that daydreaming is always a waste of time. That is ONLY my opinion. Some people feel differently. I personally think daydreaming can be beautiful, as long as it's not interfering with your "non-daydreaming" life (as long as you're getting done what needs doing).

Reading does help develop intelligence, IMO. And you seem bright to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 10:29 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,612,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Am I wrong to say that an autistic person is more likely to have special quirks that make him or her very good at certain things, though? I mean, if you think about something night and day, to the point of obsession, isn't there a good possibility you could become better than average or an expert at that thing if you found a way to get it to work for you? I'm not saying NT people can't get totally absorbed, too, but I thought the autistic brain was wired for obsession and niche interests.
Niche interests don't necessarily translate to any special degree of skill or mastery. They can, but it's not a given. Same thing is true of really any population. I'm N/T, but spent a number of my teen and young adult years, HS and college, obsessed with stagecraft/theatre. I lived and breathed it, majored in it for a while in college, etc. Despite it being an all-consuming interest, I still was only alright at it. Being obsessed with something won't necessarily make you a pro at that particular thing.

Old 10-27-2016, 03:19 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,584,188 times
My interests are all over the place, but I think they stem from wanting to communicate with people and get them listen to me. I want to have influence over people and entertain them. I have interests ranging from public speaking to zoo keeping, but they all would fulfill the need to present a certain image to other people and maybe get them to see me as trustworthy or powerful.

Old 10-27-2016, 03:51 PM

48 posts, read 46,625 times
OP have you ever gone to the site Wrong planet? Many adults with Asperger's notice the intensity of their symptoms change as they age. Sometimes things get easier to manage, sometimes things get worse.

Old 10-27-2016, 06:05 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,584,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiebutter View Post
OP have you ever gone to the site Wrong planet? Many adults with Asperger's notice the intensity of their symptoms change as they age. Sometimes things get easier to manage, sometimes things get worse.
Yes, I have. This is a silly reason to not join, but the site's graphics sometimes act up on my computer, and the information doesn't display properly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology