Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 01:49 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,110,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Yes, we knew something was up pretty much from about 2 yrs. He was diagnosed ADHD/OCD at about 4 but we KNEW there was something else going on. Sadly, we fought and fought and finally at 16 yrs old I threatened to sue the school district so they arranged a neuropsychiatrist (we could only get referred by SPED) who after 9 hours of one on one testing told us he's "textbook" Aspergers/ADHD/OCD.
After that diagnosis his school therapist took me aside and apologized and said "we KNEW something else was going on, probably Autism, from 3rd grade but the district didn't want to spend $$$$ so we weren't allowed to say anything".
Wow. That sounds awful!

In addition to the 12 year old with Regressive/Severe Autism I have a 21 year old with Aspergers. He was not diagnosed until age 11.

(I'm sorry if I jump back & forth between referencing my kids; I have 11 & 2 are ASD)

Our school district has always been very good to me & my children but I still felt as though I had "moved mountains" to get him approved for a 504.

Apparently the major difference between the 504 & IEP is the $$? Because supposedly the 504 accomodations are not supposed to cost the school districts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 02:13 PM

50,834 posts, read 36,538,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Wow. That sounds awful!

In addition to the 12 year old with Regressive/Severe Autism I have a 21 year old with Aspergers. He was not diagnosed until age 11.

(I'm sorry if I jump back & forth between referencing my kids; I have 11 & 2 are ASD)

Our school district has always been very good to me & my children but I still felt as though I had "moved mountains" to get him approved for a 504.

Apparently the major difference between the 504 & IEP is the $$? Because supposedly the 504 accommodations are not supposed to cost the school districts?
504 plans do not necessarily cost less. The difference is a kid with a 504 did not test low enough to be classified special ed, but still needs accommodations. It was created for those kids who were of normal intelligence but had other issues that made them fall through the cracks before (it is not to be taken lightly, classifying a child, and they cannot do it unless they test into it in some capacity, whether mental, physical or behavioral.

If a child needs a special computer because they have impaired vision, or a device that takes notes for them if they are hard of hearing, but they are otherwise normally functioning in developmental milestones (educationally relevant milestones) that child will get a 504, and the school will have to purchase what they need.
Your kids must have been relatively functional, not low level enough to be classified but still needed help, that is who 504 plans are for.

It is hard to get everything you want, however go to a school board meeting when they are trying to get a new budget voted on, and you will see what they are up against to try to keep costs down. When I worked in a large public school district (as an OT) in an area with a lot of 55+ communities, the school budget routinely got voted down until they practically had to gut it. It is not an easy balance trying to please everyone, but they do care about the kids and in my experience got them whatever they needed within reason.

Old 10-07-2016, 02:40 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,027,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
504 plans do not necessarily cost less. The difference is a kid with a 504 did not test low enough to be classified special ed, but still needs accommodations. It was created for those kids who were of normal intelligence but had other issues that made them fall through the cracks before (it is not to be taken lightly, classifying a child, and they cannot do it unless they test into it in some capacity, whether mental, physical or behavioral.

If a child needs a special computer because they have impaired vision, or a device that takes notes for them if they are hard of hearing, but they are otherwise normally functioning in developmental milestones (educationally relevant milestones) that child will get a 504, and the school will have to purchase what they need.
Your kids must have been relatively functional, not low level enough to be classified but still needed help, that is who 504 plans are for.

It is hard to get everything you want, however go to a school board meeting when they are trying to get a new budget voted on, and you will see what they are up against to try to keep costs down. When I worked in a large public school district (as an OT) in an area with a lot of 55+ communities, the school budget routinely got voted down until they practically had to gut it. It is not an easy balance trying to please everyone, but they do care about the kids and in my experience got them whatever they needed within reason.
True enough though it's my understanding that the schools get Federal funds for SPED services.

Old 10-07-2016, 03:06 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,110,882 times
Quote:

I see.

The 504 ended up being perfect for my (then) middle-schooler; made a huge difference between February (when we had the meeting) & end of the school year which was in May.

My now 12 year old was "identified" at age 3 & placed on IEP based services almost immediately. His needs have required extras that cost $$; such as staffing, transportation harnesses, safety devices, etc ...

It's confusing for me & as an adult ASD/ADD I really struggle with some of these particulars. The middle school transitions seem to be very hard (for them AND me).

After the last school meeting I actually caught myself flapping when I was back in the car .

Can you imagine a 48 year old woman doing this? Has anyone else ever done this?

I did as a child but like; it's been about 35 years or so. Or maybe I've done it & did not realize it.

Old 10-07-2016, 03:54 PM

776 posts, read 581,198 times
Quote:
I gave OP several links from that site in a previous post, as well as looked for other resources for her over the years. In fact, I still get e-mails from the Alabama Autism Society and I have never even been in Alabama.
Ha, I'll do you one better. I asked for North Carolina Autism Society and they gave me Oregon Autism Society information. That is a bit of a drive for support.

Old 10-07-2016, 04:28 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,583,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothere1 View Post
Ha, I'll do you one better. I asked for North Carolina Autism Society and they gave me Oregon Autism Society information. That is a bit of a drive for support.
I'm currently seeing a counselor who specializes in ASD. It really doesn't feel like the kind of stuff I need. She's focused on my OCD a little, but usually we just talk about what ever is on my mind at the time.

What ever my real issue is, though, I think I do need help. Certain "triggers" make me daydream about my high school years and winning the popularity contest. I fantasize about being the "popular" girl that everyone looks up to. To be honest, I think it's why I went into teaching to begin with. I was trying to fulfill a subconscious need for attention and affirmation. Too bad no one told me that teaching was the last profession I should be going into if i wanted affirmation. I've had my competence openly challenged by adults and kids. It's all about the kids, and I had to learn that the hard way. When I first started, I got in front of the kids as an actress on stage, and they "ate me alive." I didn't really mind being "eaten alive," except it affected my job prospects.

Old 10-07-2016, 08:00 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,027,148 times
Quote:
I see.

The 504 ended up being perfect for my (then) middle-schooler; made a huge difference between February (when we had the meeting) & end of the school year which was in May.

My now 12 year old was "identified" at age 3 & placed on IEP based services almost immediately. His needs have required extras that cost $$; such as staffing, transportation harnesses, safety devices, etc ...

It's confusing for me & as an adult ASD/ADD I really struggle with some of these particulars. The middle school transitions seem to be very hard (for them AND me).

After the last school meeting I actually caught myself flapping when I was back in the car .

Can you imagine a 48 year old woman doing this? Has anyone else ever done this?

I did as a child but like; it's been about 35 years or so. Or maybe I've done it & did not realize it.
My son does it from time to time at 25, I suspect he'll do it most of his life..... No big deal...

Old 10-08-2016, 10:15 AM

776 posts, read 581,198 times
Quote:
After the last school meeting I actually caught myself flapping when I was back in the car . Can you imagine a 48 year old woman doing this? Has anyone else ever done this?
I'm in my mid twenties and do this all the time. It is gross, if I don't do it with my 'external muscles' than my 'internal muscles' will start steming, which is not good, IBS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
I'm currently seeing a counselor who specializes in ASD. It really doesn't feel like the kind of stuff I need. She's focused on my OCD a little, but usually we just talk about what ever is on my mind at the time. What ever my real issue is, though, I think I do need help. Certain "triggers" make me daydream about my high school years and winning the popularity contest. I fantasize about being the "popular" girl that everyone looks up to.I was trying to fulfill a subconscious need for attention and affirmation.
I have heard of similar complaints from autistics. I myself didn't like this about my therapist so I continually 'pushed her buttons'. In fact, she then pushed back and we started to get somewhere. I view therapy as any other service, if you don't think they are doing a good job, ride their butt or go to a different one. You are paying for a service so don't be afraid to nit-pick.
Quote:
To be honest, I think it's why I went into teaching to begin with. Too bad no one told me that teaching was the last profession I should be going into if i wanted affirmation. I've had my competence openly challenged by adults and kids. It's all about the kids, and I had to learn that the hard way.
I became a diesel mechanic because I love puzzles, and I am somewhat a gearhead. Too bad no one told me diesels are very expensive and you don't get paid all that well as a diesel mechanic (unless you know someone) to have fun and create your own vehicles. For the cost, I will be driving gasers for quit a while.
Quote:
When I first started, I got in front of the kids as an actress on stage, and they "ate me alive." I didn't really mind being "eaten alive," except it affected my job prospects.
I know many autistic that are going to college to be doctors and teachers. I think that is great except for the fact that they are more over on the asocial side. For this I think they are crazy. I wanted to become a mechanic because I thought I would work with metal all day and not any people, I was very, very wrong. On an end note, I wish you the best as I think being a teacher, at least a good one, is very difficult, even for NT's.

Old 10-08-2016, 08:29 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,583,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothere1 View Post

I know many autistic that are going to college to be doctors and teachers. I think that is great except for the fact that they are more over on the asocial side. For this I think they are crazy. I wanted to become a mechanic because I thought I would work with metal all day and not any people, I was very, very wrong. On an end note, I wish you the best as I think being a teacher, at least a good one, is very difficult, even for NT's.
I really feel like I would do a better job if I would have had training addressing my specific issues. Student teaching wasn't geared toward people like me, people who aren't really self-starters and lack the confidence to ask questions. Knowing what to disclose to my professors, supervisors, and cooperating teachers would have been a good first step.

Old 10-10-2016, 03:33 PM

26,748 posts, read 26,841,237 times
Quote:
Too bad no one told me that teaching was the last profession I should be going into if i wanted affirmation. I've had my competence openly challenged by adults and kids. It's all about the kids, and I had to learn that the hard way.
From one of your other threads on teaching:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Interesting article about a woman with Asperger's who works in a supervisory position....she notes the same issue that you mention. Could Your Boss Have Asperger
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology