Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 04:37 AM

1,215 posts, read 1,070,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeLee_88 View Post
I have (mild) OCD so having anything look or feel too "cluttered" tends to stress or bum me out. (And I'm not married with kids).

So when I have company over (be it friends, significant other, etc) they know and respect me enough to do simple things like taking off their shoes at the door and washing their hands prior to helping me in the kitchen, setting the table (if I'm having people over for dinner) or handling food... things like that. But I also make a conscious effort to curb/control my more "extreme" tendencies in order to make them feel comfortable as well.
You don't have OCD, you have hygiene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2016, 01:11 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
Nothing wrong with having a standard for the way you want your house to be and keeping it that way. I don't think you're OCD at all. Mine isn't based on anything my parents did or didn't do; I just left home with an idea of what I wanted my home to be like.

When I had three kids under 5 and worked full time, my house was actually cleaner than it is now. Not that it's dirty now; it's not. But I didn't want my babies on dirty floors, so I kept everything really clean. I even scrubbed the kitchen floor on my hands and knees. I got a lot done when they were napping. It was actually harder once they got older.

If things come into the house and are put somewhere they don't belong, I quickly move them to where they do belong. Same way with my car. I NEVER have any trash in my car. Any trash goes directly into my purse so I take it in with me and throw it away.

I get a deep sense of satisfaction when my house is clean, refrigerator is stocked, and there is nothing that needs to be done. I have said before that I love to see sunlight shining on a spotless floor! That may sound weird, but it makes me happy!

Old 11-15-2016, 04:19 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
I dated a cleaning queen,,,,she was like a squirrel,,,darting around ...always cleaning...

once when watching a movie.....on the couch,,,,she jumps up and chases this flying bug around......screaming at it....the dog starts to bark ....she lunges and hits her head on the wall,,,,shes got a big bump on her head but still wants that bug... she wasn't quite right... id move things just slightly in the kitchen or the tv by an inch,,

and she would stare...knowing that something isn't quite right...
id whisper "there's a disturbance in the force" and she would almost growl...

she had some cleaning ocd issues.....and on the other extreme she was wiccan...damn near howled at the moon...

Old 11-16-2016, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
It is perfectly normal to crave the calm and serenity that comes from clean, uncluttered surroundings.

Some of us have to settle for having one room that is clean and uncluttered. But it is better than total disorder.

When I travel with DH and we first let ourselves into our hotel room, everything is in its place. 20 minutes later he's destroyed it by bringing in bags and boxes and backpacks full of his stuff -- which occupies all the seating areas, spills over onto the floor and dominates the desk -- and I find myself starting to get anxious.
Can you tell him to please stop doing this and let him know that it really bothers you.

Old 11-16-2016, 06:17 AM

1,504 posts, read 851,673 times
Its true...some of us like order and can not stand the overwhelming effect of clutter and dirt. Even insects and dogs like a clean and orderly environment.

Old 11-16-2016, 06:18 AM

ha ha ha there's a disturbance in the force !!!

Old 11-16-2016, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.A.Bachlow View Post
Its true...some of us like order and can not stand the overwhelming effect of clutter and dirt. Even insects and dogs like a clean and orderly environment.
For me, order is being able to find things. My garage shelves are 6" deep so only put one thing deep on them. That way I can glance and see my inventory easily. I hate buying a can of WD40 when I already have 2 or buying sandpaper that is hidden in a box that I already have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology