Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 12:46 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,096,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaDelavine1992 View Post
I desperately want to grow up, desperately. But I'm not sure exactly 'how' I can get into that mindframe, any practical tips ? I've had many false starts then I return to my old ways...
We aren't therapists. You need a professional therapist to show you some practical ways to motivate yourself.

We could guess all day but won't be successful. Right now you don't HAVE to do anything, and making yourself DO something is hard.

Old 12-19-2016, 12:47 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,861,559 times
Quote:
I desperately want to grow up, desperately. But I'm not sure exactly 'how' I can get into that mindframe, any practical tips ? I've had many false starts then I return to my old ways...
get away from your partying friends and current lifestyle. You can live in a shack and make home made meals and still be rich. ( you dont have to but the point is that you dont NEED the fancy house, parties and all the things that go with having money).

Manage your money. Do you know where it goes? Do you know how to save? Do you want to have adult bills like everyone else?

If i were you? Id scale down your lifestyle and get your money under control. Dump your friends and get a job/volunteer/hobby to get some skills.

Old 12-19-2016, 12:52 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,216,997 times
If all you want from life is to be married, buy a husband. Next?

Old 12-19-2016, 12:53 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,320,257 times
Is this for real? A paid off $1.5 million dollar house and $5k after taxes coming in every month and you can't get it together? You've hit the jackpot and could actually do some good in your life to help others. Shopping and partying won't bring you happiness.

You could travel anywhere in the world indefinitely with that kind of money.

I'd also sell the house and get some sort of financial advisor.

I'd start my own business over going back to school.

Old 12-19-2016, 12:57 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,053,223 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Well...I'm 24 now, just got a letter from school yesterday asking me to come back next year as I haven't attended any classes since september.

Your school doesn't have academic probation? They beg for failing students to re-enroll? Well, that is extremely odd. Almost....unbelievable.

Old 12-19-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Your school doesn't have academic probation? They beg for failing students to re-enroll? Well, that is extremely odd. Almost....unbelievable.
I did think it was weird they asked her to come back for a 3rd time. I attempted to go once and they wont let me go back..

Old 12-19-2016, 12:59 PM

18 posts, read 19,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
It's a small private liberal arts school.

My parents write in every time i fail blaming it on my 'health'. My doctor has supported this.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:01 PM

Quote:
It's a small private liberal arts school.

My parents write in every time i fail blaming it on my 'health'. My doctor has supported this.
so your parents and dr lie to the school?

Old 12-19-2016, 01:01 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,343,876 times
Go live amongst the poor ( in a Third World country ) for a year.

I guarantee you will come back with a plan and new perspective.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:02 PM

18 posts, read 19,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Is this for real? A paid off $1.5 million dollar house and $5k after taxes coming in every month and you can't get it together? You've hit the jackpot and could actually do some good in your life to help others. Shopping and partying won't bring you happiness.

You could travel anywhere in the world indefinitely with that kind of money.

I'd also sell the house and get some sort of financial advisor.

I'd start my own business over going back to school.
I know to you it seems like 'wow' but remember in upper middle class circles it's very common to be given a 'start' in life by your parents. I know quite a few people in my circles who get an allowance, apartment etc.

Yes, I'm stopping the partying, I spent the last 3 months in a cocaine and alcohol fuelled bender, didn't go to classes, wasted tens of thousands on nonsense and I'm determined to sort my life out.

I do travel alot with my family so travel doesn't excite me anymore as it would most people, I've travelled extensively with family and friends...

I hope to go back to school next year, I won't start a business as I know I'm not there mentally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology