Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 10:56 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,247,259 times

Advertisements

Alright, I have a good friend who is 22 years old, about to turn 23. From knowing him, he seems like a very competent, intelligent dude, who is also a very attractive jock type and has a way with the ladies. He is completely normal in every way when in public. He graduated from a prestigious college and works a very good job. He lives with his parents though and today I went over to his house and was quite surprised by what I saw.

Apparently when he's at home, he assumes the role of a 5 or 6 year old boy. He cries or throws a fit when he doesn't get his way. He runs around naked all the time, or "with his wee-wee showing" as he says it, and his room is full of toys and looks like a child's room. I got over to his house and found him in his room on the floor naked playing with legos. He asked me to play with him and reluctantly I did for a few minutes. He loves watching blue's clues and veggietales. He calls his mother "mommy" and tells her when he has to "go potty". Needless to say I am quite baffled by this and wonder what might cause him to act this way. I asked his mom and she said it started when he came back from college.

I ended up having to leave because it was time for his "nappie-pooh" (nap) haha.

What would cause a 22 year old man to act so childlike when at home? I did a google and discovered something called adult baby syndrome but that doesn't fit because he doesn't act like an infant but a very young boy and as far as I know it isn't a sexual fetish. He has a girlfriend and everything seems normal there. Anybody heard of anything like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 12:15 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,361,633 times
Sounds like a serious problem. Sounds like some kind of trauma in relation to wanting to, and needing to, grow up. While I don't think it's common, I'm sure there is a clinical diagnosis for it.

I would not drop him as a friend, but maybe keep a sane distance. Also, do some reading/Googling to see if you can learn about the condition and its roots.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:11 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,183,744 times
A 22 year old guy who is running around the house naked with his weenie waving in the air playing grade schooler, and "Mommie" is not giving him hell?

Don't tell me that they both don't have some real serious problem with sexuality.

As for the business of having a girlfriend, I have known one man who was into an incestuous relationship with his mother and he had girlfriends, and I have known gay men who were married and-or dating women.

Sexuality is not simple.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:26 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,034,760 times
he's got "issues". Sounds like you might be doing him a favor to recommend a psychiatrist to him.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:38 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,266,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Alright, I have a good friend who is 22 years old, about to turn 23. From knowing him, he seems like a very competent, intelligent dude, who is also a very attractive jock type and has a way with the ladies. He is completely normal in every way when in public. He graduated from a prestigious college and works a very good job. He lives with his parents though and today I went over to his house and was quite surprised by what I saw.
Apparently when he's at home, he assumes the role of a 5 or 6 year old boy. He cries or throws a fit when he doesn't get his way. He runs around naked all the time, or "with his wee-wee showing" as he says it, and his room is full of toys and looks like a child's room. I got over to his house and found him in his room on the floor naked playing with legos. He asked me to play with him and reluctantly I did for a few minutes. He loves watching blue's clues and veggietales. He calls his mother "mommy" and tells her when he has to "go potty". Needless to say I am quite baffled by this and wonder what might cause him to act this way. I asked his mom and she said it started when he came back from college.
I ended up having to leave because it was time for his "nappie-pooh" (nap) haha.
What would cause a 22 year old man to act so childlike when at home? I did a google and discovered something called adult baby syndrome but that doesn't fit because he doesn't act like an infant but a very young boy and as far as I know it isn't a sexual fetish. He has a girlfriend and everything seems normal there. Anybody heard of anything like this?
I am hoping this is a true story...very strange stuff here. I DID see a Bill Cunningham talk show where this young woman came on dressed like a child of about 5 or 6, toting a teddy bear, wearing pampers and telling about her love of behaving like a baby. She even wears adult pampers and finds them sexually arousing..it made me ill. Your friend has some serious issues and his Mom does too. Why in the hell would she allow him to behave this way unless she too is in need of some serious counseling. My advice to you?? Talk to him and tell him how NOT NORMAL this is and if his behavior continues without the counseling he does appear to need then you should "head for the hills"...geesh

Old 06-18-2012, 06:30 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,247,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
A 22 year old guy who is running around the house naked with his weenie waving in the air playing grade schooler, and "Mommie" is not giving him hell?

Don't tell me that they both don't have some real serious problem with sexuality.

As for the business of having a girlfriend, I have known one man who was into an incestuous relationship with his mother and he had girlfriends, and I have known gay men who were married and-or dating women.

Sexuality is not simple.
I could be wrong, but I highly doubt anything incestuous is going on. I didn't get that feeling when over at his place, talking to him or talking to his mother. His mother said she doesn't understand his behavior but just wants him to be happy. He has two brothers, both teenagers, who act completely normal. I think maybe a past trauma of some sort of a lost childhood or just plain mental issues is the more likely culprit. I am going to wait for the right time and then talk to him about it and suggest he see a counselor.

Last edited by bchris02; 06-18-2012 at 06:39 AM..

Old 06-18-2012, 08:50 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,283,224 times
I have a dog which get terrified if a smoke detector battery runs low and it starts that occasional chirping. The dog will run outside and hide. Or on the 4th of July and fireworks, she will hide under the bed.

These things will not harm the dog, but she thinks so! I don't force the dog to come out from under the bed or come inside and act "normal", rather I reassure her everything is OK. I let her come out from the bed on her own or come inside when she feels it is safe.

And something similar may be going on with your friend. He may be terrified of the real world out there or something which may have happened. Maybe he is "hiding"?

I would not be too quick to try to drag him away from his "safe place" or suggest he go to counseling right away. Rather I might allow him to be the way he wants for now - maybe play Legos with him a bit. Maybe over time slowly suggest playing with things older kids would play with from time to time.

If he realizes you are a safe person and non-threatening, then maybe he would feel safe venturing out with you or doing more grown up things. Then when you get his trust, perhaps suggest counseling.

Actually the real world can be terrifying. I sure would like to "run away and hide" sometimes myself!

Old 06-18-2012, 08:55 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,816,077 times
A grown man might act like a child because living in the adult world makes him very unhappy..and he dreams of better days when life was the joy as it was supposed be---so he travels back in time to a better place- to his childhood. Being an adult is not what it's cracked up to be...It seems that most people go into a state of slavery to survive...doing things that they do not want to do. A stubborn boy will simply stand his ground and say no- To bad we have lost this power to defy authority that does not act in our best interest.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:18 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Where is his father? Does this go on when his father's home, too? What do his brothers think about it? Strange that he would think this behavior would be completely normal in front of you. You're right; therapy is needed. It seems like when he's home, he regresses to a time when he felt safe. Maybe on some level facing adult life, in spite of having a good job and everything seemingly going well, scares him. But needless to say, this is taking it WAY too far, and you're also right to suspect some kind of trauma. If he does see a therapist, it would be interesting to know the diagnosis.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:21 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,729,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post

I was online chatting with this man from a dating site. I thought the conversation was going really good. then out of nowhere he asked me if I would be opposed to wearing an adult diaper and sucking on a bottle with juice OR watching him do this. I was like WTF. I will never forget that.....

so yes this is a type of fetish apparently, I mean everyone has their quirks but this one is a total turn off, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology