Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 02:28 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,577,745 times

Advertisements

What is the cure for someone who has trouble making decisions? IS there a fix for that?

It's getting worse, the older I get. I suppose it's because time is shorter, so decisions are more important?

Has anyone overcome this affliction? I would add that I tend to research and gather a lot of facts. I'm thinking it's a type of OCD and muddies the waters?

Any thoughts? I'd like to be more carefree and spend less time worrying and fretting over decisions. Example: I researched and checked out blenders a year ago; I did that for 2 or more months. I ended up not getting one. Too many choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2017, 02:57 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
Read this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Paradox_of_Choice

... especially the part about "why we suffer."

Also, one of the hallmarks of depression is the inability to make decisions. FYI

Old 02-02-2017, 04:21 PM

19,119 posts, read 25,316,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Also, one of the hallmarks of depression is the inability to make decisions. FYI

+1
About 20 years ago, when I was depressed over the break-up of a long-term relationship, I was absolutely unable to make important decisions. After overcoming that bout of depression, my ability to make decisions returned.

Old 02-02-2017, 06:23 PM

7,182 posts, read 9,311,052 times
To take 2 months to research a blender seems excessive. I usually just read the reviews on Amazon and pick one. The adverse consequences are small if you make a bad pick.

Spend 2 years deciding on a mate? Yeah, that makes sense. That one is an important decision.

I once new a guy who could not decide which car to buy. He rode a bike for a year while he delayed his decision. He finally bought a Honda and drove it for 22 years to avoid having to make another decision.

You don't need to be perfect about everything.

Old 02-03-2017, 06:34 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,577,745 times
Thanks for the responses. I'll read the link provided and consider your opinions.

Old 02-03-2017, 11:59 PM

687 posts, read 616,377 times
Being decisive takes a level of confidence. You can be overwhelmed with too many choices, which is why you need to limit yourself. Say you will consider 3, or five options. With a blender, you could buy more than one and return the one you don't like as much. Trying one out will give you more experience to give you confidence in what you want for the next go around.

You can have more than one go. I think the crux is really believing that.

I suffer the same anxieties. I find the decisions happen when I feel I have the resources to be wrong and do something else if needed, whether those resources are physical or emotional.

Old 02-04-2017, 10:16 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,114,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Example: I researched and checked out blenders a year ago; I did that for 2 or more months. I ended up not getting one. Too many choices.
I have an experiment I wish you would try. Most stores have a 30 day guaranteed return policy if you are not satisfied with the product, for example Bed, Bath & Beyond. Just visit a local store and look at what they have, buy your best choice, take it home and use it. If you don't like it then simply take it back for a refund. Make your decision within 30 days. If you still can't decide, take it back anyway.

I have Amazon Prime membership. Anything I buy gets here in 2 days. If I don't like it my sole obligation is to request a refund and they send me a pre-addressed UPS label, my only cost is the price of the return postage.

You are obviously making too big a deal about it. Try my experiment and see if you discover that such decisions often don't matter, and have small consequences and likely free or low cost ability to reverse your purchase decision.

Old 02-04-2017, 05:20 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,257,774 times
Been there.
Cannot tell you how many trips I.ve planned and not taken, paint colors and furniture I.ve chosen, hell, even sometimes I cannot decide on toothpaste. It comes and goes. Just go along with it as long as it's not every single decision you are obsessing about.
I saw on TV a woman who re-decorated her whole house: wasted a lot of time and money and friends because she just couldn't make a decision. Spent 100k and never changed a pillow so don.t let it get that bad!

Old 02-04-2017, 08:25 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,114,067 times
If you have trouble selecting toothpaste even since it's a $2-$4 decision that will affect you for maybe a month if you made the wrong choice, you have a problem that would benefit from seeking help from a mental healthcare professional.

Buy a tube of toothpaste. If you don't like it, buy another one and throw the first one away!

Old 02-04-2017, 08:58 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,207,396 times
I understand about indecision
But I don't care if I get behind
People livin' in competition
All I want is to have my peace of mind
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology