Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 10:03 PM

12,848 posts, read 9,060,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
It could be. The other thought is, these managers are as old as my parents, and have been with the company as long as I have been alive. They were obviously here before e-mail, and I am sure the computers weren't as easy as they are now. Maybe I'm just a new kid to them, and they still expect me to be unsteady on my feet.
Time for folks to get over the idea that no one before them had computers. Pretty much everyone in the workplace today has used them most of their careers. The generation that didn't have much direct contact would be in their 70s by now. I've been using them since Fortran and punch cards, Apple IIs, Commodore PETs, MINCs, DECs, and VAXes. Do I know everything about them? Of course not; there's too many different things for anyone to know. Nor do I even know most of the features on the email I use every day.

Why you might ask? It's not because I'm too old and senile to understand computers, but because I don't have the time. And that's what you're going to discover in a few years. You'll get that MBA, get a couple of promotions and find you no longer have the time to keep current because you're too busy managing a department, coordinating with couple of others that are behind schedule and have now started impacting yours, doing and re-doing the budget a hundred times, doing performance evals on the young guns who still get to do technical work and have all the fun, and maybe find time to walk around the office to say "thanks" to those who do the work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 10:18 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Um, I wrote my first program in '63, for an Xerox 920, in assembly language. Later in college I wrote FORTRAN IV (all capitals). And even COBOL! The horror! The horror! Today I prefer OO languages like Visual C++ with MFC for PC software. No, don't do PHP OO. My sites are written very similarly to what I'm sure C-D uses.

I keep my hand in today by writing PHP, MySQL, HTML, CSS, server admin I set up myself running Debian OS, nginx serving websites. LAMP rules! Or in my case LnMP. I think nginx is superior to Apache but this is not the place to discuss that.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but old dogs mess you up by learning new tricks themselves.

The big question is why I do this as a hobby. OCD? My sites have no advertising.

At the time I matriculated my college still had a real, vacuum tube computer with drum memory storage. I think it was an ENIAC. Even then it was a museum relic, kept merely for nostalgia.

Today I vastly prefer my office in my lap(top). Amazing to think that the computer on the first moon mission was inferior to later day calculators. Today calculators are so obsolete they don't have any AFIAK.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:02 AM

2,307 posts, read 2,996,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyblythe View Post
Some people have a hard time accepting genuine compliments. Sounds like you might be one of those folks.

Always important to be aware, the compliment may have little or nothing to do with the skill or complexity of the task. It has to do with how much the complimenter appreciated that you did it satisfactorily and without hassle. Instead of slicing and dicing and analyzing a compliment, better to just say, "Thank you," and to accept it in the spirit offered. Not really hard. You can add,"I'm happy to have been of help. Let me know if there's anything else I can do," if you can actually mean it. Not sucking up; just good manners and good business practice. Diminishing or demeaning a genuine compliment or complimenter serves no good purpose.

Attitude can be key to building positive attention, supportive relationships and currency toward your future in a company. If you're planning to be there long term, there will be lots of opportunities to question the whys and wherefores of actions and issues which displease you. Don't waste your energy on something that puts a plus in your column.

Wise to learn to give sincere compliments of your own to those who help you. Giving credit to others takes none away from you.

The ability to demonstrate the above are reflective of a degree of professional maturity. Get a jump on this while you're young, so it doesn't hold you back. (Leave the snarkiness and immaturity of youth at the door when you get to work.)
This is great advice. No matter how the compliment might make you feel inside, say thank-you and smile. You have to assume the compliment came from a place of good intention.

Old 02-19-2017, 01:29 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,754,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
This is great advice. No matter how the compliment might make you feel inside, say thank-you and smile. You have to assume the compliment came from a place of good intention.

Yes, I guess part of me feels like its the same when you say "good job" to a little kid.

Old 02-20-2017, 10:30 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
Snow-Thank you. I am surprised by your reply, as that wasn't what I was going for at all. Yes, I am at a HUGE company, and plan to stay here until retirement (another 30 years). I am actively looking at other job openings. No one knows that I was passed up for the position here in my department, and my new boss doesn't even know me (yet). I was speaking to one of the IT people in a different department. I know in that specific case, he's older, and I am sure doesn't have a degree, so perhaps he assumes that a very few have degrees around here?

I guess the compliments make me feel dumb, and I am sure I am taking it the wrong way! I feel by complimenting me on these easy tasks, it makes me look weak like "I thought it would be a challenge for you, but you did it! Yay!". If I am putting out fires on complex situations, then sure, compliment me, but on routine, mundane tasks, nah.
They probably don't mean it that way. A lot of people wish management would do that just for the positive atmosphere, not even because they 'need' it to be said.

I can't relate. No one ever said that to me unless I pulled off a FEAT and even then, in sales, you go from hero to zero at the end of every month.

Also they taught us we were sort of running our own business. So anything I did was really for me, I guess.

I have to reach back further to remember appreciating praise for small things. I guess the closest I got was waiting tables. Being new at a place, and being thanked all the time for doing the smart things to do. Doing my section and then helping others and stuff like that. Big smiles. Big thank you's! And knowing that I'm on my way to promotion and I am very welcomed by the staff/management. It's a nice feeling - I hope you can enjoy it, and then when you do have more experience you can get that promotion you're after.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:46 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,754,623 times
It happened again, and I see what's going on. I work overnights, and they think nothing goes on. Nothing. I just sit at work with nothing to do. When I do have the required task, they "thank me" in heavy sarcasm because they assume its the ONE thing I did all night.

Old 02-25-2017, 03:04 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
good job on the switch,,,,i gotta remember that one,,,lol

Old 03-04-2017, 05:24 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
I don't know why I get upset at compliments of a "job well done" at work. I suppose because I find it ridiculously easy, in my mind I see a compliment as almost a put-down. I've been with this department for about two years, so I could understand if I was a brand new newhire, but I've been long enough. Maybe to those that have been here 10+ years, I'm still seen as a new hire, and furthermore, the older folks around here that did not grow up with computers may still find the work challenging enough....
Sounds like you feel the work is very easy, and perhaps much too easy for your level of skills.

Find yourself a job where you have tread water fast as all hell just to keep your head above water; then compliments - if you get any - will mean something to you. And problem solved.

Old 03-04-2017, 05:29 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Time for folks to get over the idea that no one before them had computers. Pretty much everyone in the workplace today has used them most of their careers. The generation that didn't have much direct contact would be in their 70s by now. I've been using them since Fortran and punch cards, Apple IIs, Commodore PETs, MINCs, DECs, and VAXes. Do I know everything about them? Of course not; there's too many different things for anyone to know. Nor do I even know most of the features on the email I use every day.....
I'm seventy-nine, I was working in a computer center in the mid-1970's. So, for sure you are right, at this point in time most people have been using them for most if not all of their careers..

Old 03-04-2017, 09:26 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
My office compliments a lot. I later figured out it was a reaction to work ptsd. Either the previous person. In your role was horrid. Or they left at a bad time. They hope the compliments will keep you around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology