Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 04:36 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,342,582 times

Advertisements

So how much is enough? Can there ever be enough? There used to be a cliche that some people in the entertainment industry liked to throw around .... That you could never be too thin or too rich... Was it just a joke? I read somewhere once that the ultra-rich billionaires could never stop making enough money because there was something very basic in their lives that they had missed out on when they were growing up and this was a way to compensate for that.. Was that just pop psych?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 06:23 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
So how much is enough? Can there ever be enough? There used to be a cliche that some people in the entertainment industry liked to throw around .... That you could never be too thin or too rich... Was it just a joke? I read somewhere once that the ultra-rich billionaires could never stop making enough money because there was something very basic in their lives that they had missed out on when they were growing up and this was a way to compensate for that.. Was that just pop psych?

For some people there is never enough but yes you can be too thin and too rich. Too thin to the point of health issues, anorexia, and even possible death. Too rich and I think people can become easily dissatisfied and bored. Just look at some young stars who have it all way too soon.

Also mentioned above look at the mess and rifts money causes after someone dies.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:19 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
For some people, too much is not enough.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:17 AM

757 posts, read 838,631 times
Money is mostly good if handled properly by mature people. However, if you lose your beloved mate after nearly 50 years, nothing means much including $$$$. Perspective is essential.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:20 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,543,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
Until you are in a situation where no amount of money can save your love ones life, can you truly understand that money doesn't buy happiness.
So true. Where it comes to light is when your loved one needs some treatment which you cannot afford and will die without it. Then money potentially has the benefit to buy happiness. Otherwise, its just a bunch of materialistic crap.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:55 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
So true. Where it comes to light is when your loved one needs some treatment which you cannot afford and will die without it. Then money potentially has the benefit to buy happiness. Otherwise, its just a bunch of materialistic crap.
That is just so sad.

Perhaps I'm irresponsible (I've been responsible my entire life) but I'd go ahead with the surgery, and then let them suck my finances dry. At least me and significant other would be alive, even if penniless. There must be something such a couple could do with their remaining lives.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:01 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
I actually began to wonder about all this earlier after reading this very interesting article.

Affluenza: The Psychology of Wealth

Is it true that the pursuit and acquisition of wealth leads to unhappiness.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...chology-wealth

It touches on a lot of things..... like overshopping, addiction of wealth, security issues, isolation from the rest of society, love issues, problems affecting rich children, and others..... very interesting from a psychological standpoint. How much of it is true?
If the pursuit is single minded, then yes. If it comes from serving other people well in a job or business, living a modest lifestyle, and saving/investing the difference, then it's fine.

The key is that pursuit of wealth is ok as long as it isn't to the exclusion of everything else (health, relationships, spirituality, etc.).

The same dynamic exists for materialism/stuff.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:08 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Money can ease many situations and thus it can ease some of the stresses of life. But it can also cause many stresses in life.

Money is just a thing, like any other "thing." At the end of the day, no matter where we are and what things we have surrounding us, we still have to live with ourselves.

The exception that I think looms largest is access to quality medical care. In times of illness, good medical care and comfort measures make a huge difference and sometimes that boils down to what we can afford to buy to provide those things to ourselves or our loved ones.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:10 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
That is just so sad.

Perhaps I'm irresponsible (I've been responsible my entire life) but I'd go ahead with the surgery, and then let them suck my finances dry. At least me and significant other would be alive, even if penniless. There must be something such a couple could do with their remaining lives.
Well, most people do have comprehensive health insurance in the US.

Old 02-27-2017, 11:57 AM

2,190 posts, read 2,234,840 times
I don't think that wealthy people are any happier than middle class people. Being in poverty would affect happiness. Having more material possessions does not effect peoples happiness, however not having enough money to take vacations or buy food does effect happiness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology