Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 12:19 PM

201 posts, read 195,274 times

Advertisements

JrzDefector,
The problem with canned diets of all types is they dont' allow for individual differences and preferences in food and the emotional feelings some foods/ drinks have associated with them.

The problem with psychiatric drugs is they make the intolerable, tolerable and prevent people from moving forward. They can't change anything. Only actions can change things.

Both are temporary solutions to permanent issues. I'd get off both as soon as possible.

Right now you are dead on- it is a lonely but awesome moment when you realize all the food in the world won't fix whatever ails you. It's the start of a lifestyle change. It is more work to make your own meals rather than eat a boxed lunch but it's also way more food, more freedom and more self empowering. Additionally it is something you can do for a lifetime. You can hire a nutritionist (doesn't need to be a registered dietitian but should have a degree in nutrition/ dietetics) to help you analyze your diet and give you parameters to work within. If possible go with someone that actually works out, if they don't they can't possibly understand the importance of proper diet/exercise because they don't do it themselves.

Without exercise there is little to no chance of long term success, which is why it is fantastic that you are considering running again. If you loved running but are a bit worried about getting injured, see if gyms around you have a Precor brand Adaptive Motion Trainer (AMT) it is a low impact machine on which you can "run" it's got a fantastic calorie burn and best- as you lose more weight you'll find it helps you run better. Even people that run, can use it and it will improve their running without the impact. If you can take your exercise prescription daily as you would the Zoloft you'll get better results. You can also take other exercises as needed in place of Xanax (try a new class, go for a bike ride, try something else new).

I don't know what type of exercises you like/don't but adding strength training will also boost your emotional state/ make you feel relaxed. Swimming is better than yoga especially for that ankle.

You've got the clear ability to do this. The "work" is never just calorie counting. The "work" is dealing with the emotions that got your overweight in the first place and educating yourself so you can make your own meals and fit in treats rather than be controlled.

You got this!
NG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
So this is a totally odd situation. I'm on Nutrisystem, which is actually fairly high quality food with minimal sodium and preservatives. I've been supplementing with veggies when I can. Basically, this diet is saving me money (few groceries, no eating out), calories and freeing up huge amounts of time (no grocery shopping, no cooking or cleaning up after I cook for the most part). But I realized that right around the time I started on Nutrisystem, my anxiety levels went through the roof. Part of it has to do with unpacking some crazy stuff in therapy, but the other part of it is that I cannot self-soothe with food. Previously, I'd get really stressed out and head right out for a fat/sugar/sodium bomb from the nearest fast-food outlet. Didn't matter what it was, as long as it hit those pleasure receptors.

I've quit fast food before, but I'd always have some junk food I could acess, be it a pint of ice cream or a bag of baked potato chips or cheese and crackers. Right now, I'm strictly sticking to the Nutrisystem food and adding in veggie soups and salads. Yesterday, I ate a ginormous plate of mushrooms I'd cooked up with just a spray of coconut oil.

But my anxiety is out of control right now, and I'm going to go to the doctor to see if I should start up with the Zoloft again or get a Xanax prescription. Also going to start running again - though I'm not sure I should since I've had a hard time healing after spraining my ankle in November. Running is a sort of meditative act for me, though, so I"m hoping it will work.

Just something I realized today and found interesting. I have a total of 50 pounds to lose (down to about 40 now), and that alone is hard. Losing that weight while my anxiety is erupting on a daily basis is purely brutal. But the Nutrisystem program seems the most likely one for success given my history with weight loss, and I do like the free time and money saved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2017, 01:37 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
My situation in many respects resembles the OP's situation. I think the explanation is simple:

Many people eat and/or drink liquor to relieve stress problems. In effect you are "self treating" your stress, and your previous excessive diet (think: comfort food) helped relieve your stress.

Now you are on an unsatisfactory (but healthful) diet, but you have taken away the stress relief effects of your previous diet (self treatment).

So now the stress that used to get relieved is coming out since you are no longer self treating it by eating comfort food.

I think it's that simple. And remember, when you reach your desired weight you can eat a bit more but if you go back to your old eating habits you will eventually return to your original weight.

Old 03-25-2017, 09:35 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
So this is a totally odd situation. I'm on Nutrisystem, which is actually fairly high quality food with minimal sodium and preservatives. I've been supplementing with veggies when I can. Basically, this diet is saving me money (few groceries, no eating out), calories and freeing up huge amounts of time (no grocery shopping, no cooking or cleaning up after I cook for the most part). But I realized that right around the time I started on Nutrisystem, my anxiety levels went through the roof. Part of it has to do with unpacking some crazy stuff in therapy, but the other part of it is that I cannot self-soothe with food. Previously, I'd get really stressed out and head right out for a fat/sugar/sodium bomb from the nearest fast-food outlet. Didn't matter what it was, as long as it hit those pleasure receptors.

I've quit fast food before, but I'd always have some junk food I could acess, be it a pint of ice cream or a bag of baked potato chips or cheese and crackers. Right now, I'm strictly sticking to the Nutrisystem food and adding in veggie soups and salads. Yesterday, I ate a ginormous plate of mushrooms I'd cooked up with just a spray of coconut oil.

But my anxiety is out of control right now, and I'm going to go to the doctor to see if I should start up with the Zoloft again or get a Xanax prescription. Also going to start running again - though I'm not sure I should since I've had a hard time healing after spraining my ankle in November. Running is a sort of meditative act for me, though, so I"m hoping it will work.

Just something I realized today and found interesting. I have a total of 50 pounds to lose (down to about 40 now), and that alone is hard. Losing that weight while my anxiety is erupting on a daily basis is purely brutal. But the Nutrisystem program seems the most likely one for success given my history with weight loss, and I do like the free time and money saved.
Whenever I do a strict diet I become quite anxious. I can't do a strict diet without a certain feeling of commitment, so I don't do them often. But when I do, I feel anxious about following the diet, and I feel anxious before weighing myself. When I am totally committed, I can be quite crabby and demanding. I think knowing that you must do eating a certain way, not the way you want to do, is anxiety provoking.

I think you should try exercise first to channel that nervous energy, before asking for meds. For one thing, you will sleep better. But I totally relate to what you are going through. I want to wish you luck in this endeavor.

You can buy nuts for desperation snacking. Almonds are good. If you buy the salted ones, shake off most of the salt first.

Old 03-26-2017, 08:18 AM

Nuts have a lot of calories. Read the package nutritional information. They'll ruin your diet.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:16 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,256,790 times
Could you possibly have Binge Eating Disorder? It may be worth looking into, especially if you are already seeing a life coach.

Binge-eating disorder Treatment - Mayo Clinic

I am being treated for this. Every month I have an appointment with the physician treating me. She weighs me, examines me and we talk about obstacles that have come up or ones on the horizon. She also gives me homework and we review it. I journal my food in My Fitness Pal and she reviews it. She tells me where I am doing well and gives me specific strategies to cope with stressful situations involving food, or that may trigger a binge. I am learning how to deal with real food, in real life, in real time.

I also read HOW NOT TO Die. The author of the book also runs a free website about nutrition, NutritionFacts.org | The Latest in Nutrition Related Research and has a free app called the Daily Dozen that I use to help me track my healthy eating. Since both my parents died from cancer last year and my brother is struggling with Type 2 Diabetes, I want to learn how to get healthy and stay healthy. It's been a big commitment but worth the effort.

I have lost 33 pounds since November (in spite of Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc.). After a lifetime of yo-yo dieting, I really think I might lose it all this time and keep it off. I am exercising more and eating well. My skin and hair look better now. I am finally losing belly fat. I feel better physically and mentally and I think that is due to consistently healthier food choices.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:21 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,256,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Nuts have a lot of calories. Read the package nutritional information. They'll ruin your diet.
Actually, healthy nuts can help your diet. I am not referring to oil, roasted, heavily salted nuts.

Nuts & Obesity: The Weight of Evidence | NutritionFacts.org

Old 03-26-2017, 11:17 AM

26,421 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
Actually, healthy nuts can help your diet. I am not referring to oil, roasted, heavily salted nuts.

Nuts & Obesity: The Weight of Evidence | NutritionFacts.org
Absolutely, far better than eating anything that has modern wheat in it. Mixed nuts are a great healthy snack, it fits well in the paleo and gluten free diet plan as well.

Old 03-26-2017, 12:33 PM

Please note serving size on your package labeling. I'm not going to argue with you but if you eat 3-4 servings of nuts it isn't going to be good for you.

A lot of my recent weight loss was probably caused by my ceasing to nibble on nuts and crackers and cheese while sipping wine before dinner. I just had to steel myself and quit the pre-dinner snacking. Also I have noted an improvement in my digestion, used to wake up middle of the night with acid stomach. That hasn't happened since I quit snacking before dinner.

Now if I get hungry in the late afternoon I just cook my dinner and eat it early.

I am lucky that I never get hungry after dinner, nor do I get the midnight munchies.

Old 03-26-2017, 02:47 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,944,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I've lost 72 pounds with nuts included in my diet as a daily snack. As long as you factor them into your daily calorie budget, there's nothing wrong with them. Ditto with snacks. And as other have said, nuts are very good for you.

Old 03-26-2017, 03:23 PM

I agree that as long as the calories are compatible with your diet there is no harm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology