Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 12:14 AM

1,884 posts, read 3,033,973 times

Advertisements

I was 5 years old and we went to my grandma's house. WE were told she had died and was in heaven.

When we got there everyone kept going into her bedroom a few at a time. My brother, who was 7 years old, went in and yelled 'grandma is not in heaven, she is here sleeping. I'll wake her up." And we could hear that he was on the bed and shaking her. All the adults ran into the room. My brother was dragged out objecting and both my brother and I were taken and dropped off at my other grandma's house. I objected as they had really good looking pies on the dining room table, and I did not go into the bedroom.

My brother continued to insist that grandma was in bed and not in heaven. At the time whenever I asked my mom if it was true that grandma was sleeping and not in heaven mom just cried, so I stopped asking. YEARS later I found out that her body was in her bed for what was her wake at her house.

__________________________________________________ _

Another time I was likely around the same age or a little younger, I was laying in my bed and saw someone I called Pinocchio outside my bedroom window looking in, watching me. I screamed and he ran away. Mom calmed me and said it was just the bushes, but I knew it was not. And she called the police to let me tell them what I saw. She would not have done that if I only saw a bush moving in the wind. And my dad worked swing shift and she called dad to come home early that night. She never did that! And I remember dad coming in and the coocoo clock cooing a lot of times. When dad came home it only cooed one time for 1 am.

Again, years later I found out there was a peeping Tom looking through the windows and my calling him Pinocchio actually helped the police identify the neighbor. I remember telling the police I knew it was Pinocchio because he had a really BIG LONG nose.

Old 04-28-2017, 01:15 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeceJackox View Post
There are people who can remember things that happened when they were a few months old others can only remember things from when they were 7 or 8

My first memory that I can remember is when I was about 7 scoring a penalty in a football match

Birth. Well actually, it was at age 10 months, when my mother was painting a picture next to my crib. Then the phone rang and while she answered it, I ate some of the paints that were in metal tubes. It was smeared all over my face when she returned and she thought I was poisoned. But then she called the art supply store and the owner assured her they were made with soybean oil and had no toxic pigments in them. It seems I wasn't the first kid who ate his mother's oil paints.

But this incident made me realize later, how very early experiences may not be remembered correctly. Our sphere of perception is very small when young and expands as we get older. Although I have a vivid memory of eating those paints, my memory of it is in my bedroom in a house where we moved when I was at the age of 29 months. My life-circle didn't go beyond what was just a few feet away, at that age and so I later patched it together with the memory of my room, from when I was older.

Last edited by Steve McDonald; 04-28-2017 at 01:30 AM..

Old 04-28-2017, 01:32 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,353,365 times
6 months. I always have had a memory of being in our local Thrift Town's parking lot, with my mother on her side and cans rolling beside her. She had dropped me with an armful of groceries. Wasn't until later in life that I happened to ask her how old I was and I was a bit shocked. But I also remember not knowing who Santa Claus was, talking to cracks in the wall ( I was very imaginative) and pooping in the crib. Those were the days

Old 04-28-2017, 02:28 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
Most earliest memories are post 3 years-old and embellished as one grows older.

Old 04-28-2017, 05:04 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
I recovered some early childhood memories (3) which came back to me as little bits and pieces of conversations and remarks. They all fit together as I slowly realized I had been a victim of abuse. I was about 40 when it all came together.

Old 04-28-2017, 05:11 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
I don't know what my age was, as I was too young to know about age. I was asleep in my carriage at home, so how old - ? 6 months? 8 months? I had to fit into a baby carriage comfortably.

Anyway, I was my mother's first baby, and it seems she'd invited some of her girlfriends over to see her baby. About 3-4 young women came into the room where I was sleeping, waking me. That annoyed me, but wasn't too bad. Then I remembered their faces peering into my carriage, my mother cooing at me to "smile". That was the last straw.

I burst out wailing.

Old 04-28-2017, 05:50 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
I remember when the lights came on. I was around 3, I was at nursery school and all the kids had made a house or mountain or something out of blocks. I wanted the block on the top so I tried to climb up the structure to get it and it all came tumbling down. I was on the floor and looked up and noticed I could see up one of the girl's dresses. For many years I could pretty much remember everything after that point but that started to fade around the time I hit puberty.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:05 AM

45 posts, read 37,309 times
Its amazing some of you can remember thing so young. How can you remember being a baby when at that time your not even that aware of what is going on? The earliest I remember is maybe 6. Its all so fuzzy though.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:47 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
I have very clear memories of the year I went to Kindergarten, at age 5, 60 years ago. There are a few memories before that in the 3-4 year old range but they are hazy, one was my birthday, another was when my older brother went too high on the swing set next door and it tipped over.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:53 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidaldream View Post
age 2, in the crib

Me too. Maybe even younger. I vividly remember laying in my crib one night, and my mom had hung some article of clothing on the back of the crib. In the dark, it looked like someone standing over me, and I was frozen with fear, until I finally fell asleep.

The next morning, in the daylight, I could see that it was only clothes hanging there and was really relieved . Since I was still sleeping in a crib, I had to be very young.

I also remember sitting in my highchair, eating Cheerios cereal, while my mom did ironing while watching TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology