Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 02:18 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,051,044 times

Advertisements

I've read it before and it adds up, to add some freedom to your life you must take a risk, the bigger the risk, the more freedom.

I recall reading Eleanor Roosevelt saying about the same thing, keep the risks coming, day in day out.

An Example: You sped 10 miles over the speed limit today. How did that make you feel? Freer? 20 miles over, even more freedom?

So what risks have you taken lately to give your more freedom?

Last week, I was down in Nogales, Mexico, with my roommate, and we blindly went to a Dr. there, as we have the same ailment. Rather scary, as the charge to see the Dr. was only 40 peso's, roughly $3.25!

We were both given one of those multi-vitamin injections, which I had one in the past, and they do wonders. Don't know what's in it, it just does the job!

Yup! A bit risky, but ah the freedom of not dealing with U.S. Dr.'s and the pharmacies where you need a prescription, which you don't need in Mexico!

Long live Freedom!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 07:57 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
I prefer legal risks LOL

But yes, I always liked the quote,"Your world is as big as you make it."

Old 05-18-2017, 11:35 AM

678 posts, read 438,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I've read it before and it adds up, to add some freedom to your life you must take a risk, the bigger the risk, the more freedom.
An Example: You sped 10 miles over the speed limit today. How did that make you feel? Freer? 20 miles over, even more freedom?

Last week, I was down in Nogales, Mexico, with my roommate, and we blindly went to a Dr. there,
as we have the same ailment. Rather scary, as the charge to see the Dr. was only 40 peso's, roughly $3.25!
We were both given one of those multi-vitamin injections, which I had one in the past, and they do wonders. Don't know what's in it, it just does the job!

Yup! A bit risky, but ah the freedom of not dealing with U.S. Dr.'s and the pharmacies where you need a prescription, which you don't need in Mexico!

Long live Freedom!
Most likely you can tell from the words I BOLDed, in what you wrote, that while you have risks worth taking, & they are many...
STUPIDITY will not in the short-term, nor the long-run, increase your freedom, nor anyone else's.
1. you paid only $3.25, but you have NO idea what's in those injections you accepted.
&
2. Racing past the Speed-limit: do you CARE about yourself ?, or anyone else's LIFE ?
And a Speeding ticket will, depending on where you live, FAR exceed $3.25

But KNOWingly Benefitting day after day from essential minerals, etc. etc, is one thing, as they have Accumulating... benefits...
But no "shot" can give you those benefits...

So Make you world big... Expand your horizons... and Responsibly learn to live Free...

Old 05-18-2017, 07:28 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 rainbows View Post
Most likely you can tell from the words I BOLDed, in what you wrote, that while you have risks worth taking, & they are many...
STUPIDITY will not in the short-term, nor the long-run, increase your freedom, nor anyone else's.
1. you paid only $3.25, but you have NO idea what's in those injections you accepted.
&
2. Racing past the Speed-limit: do you CARE about yourself ?, or anyone else's LIFE ?
And a Speeding ticket will, depending on where you live, FAR exceed $3.25

But KNOWingly Benefitting day after day from essential minerals, etc. etc, is one thing, as they have Accumulating... benefits...
But no "shot" can give you those benefits...

So Make you world big... Expand your horizons... and Responsibly learn to live Free...
Exactly.

Old 05-19-2017, 08:43 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
I don't think risk equals freedom. In fact, I don't think they're connected at all. I've mostly spent my life avoiding risks and living a pretty sedate life. I made rational decisions at almost every point in my life, and the risks I've taken have been very calculated. I arrived at my current job after I left a reputable but failing company to work as a freelancer. The risks were minimal though - I had a stable of clients waiting to hire me and a lot of high-quality contacts.

I currently work from home (same company for over a decade) with a lot of leeway to come and go as I please (and take regular naps) - I can travel anywhere I want as long as it has an internet connection and set up shop there for as long as I please. I make a decent salary that allows me to buy pretty much anything I want (though my tastes are not exactly luxurious). I've cultivated a reputation as a reliable, kind and intelligent employee - I get to be as weird as I want here as a result. And I get to work in my pajamas if the spirit moves me.

I dont' see how getting sketchy shots from a doctor in Mexico equates to freedom. Based on your example, I don't even think you understand what the word means.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:39 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:

I recall reading Eleanor Roosevelt saying about the same thing, keep the risks coming, day in day out.

Last week, I was down in Nogales, Mexico, with my roommate, and we blindly went to a Dr. there, as we have the same ailment. Rather scary, as the charge to see the Dr. was only 40 peso's, roughly $3.25!

Long live Freedom!
'
I don't think she literally means risk your life. Take a risk could mean apply for that job you don't think you're qualified for, ask out that girl you think is out of your league. It doesn't mean try bungee jumping or start speeding in your car. Those other things are the things most people lose opportunities over because they were afraid to try, the things late in life we say " I wish I had gone for that".

Old 05-20-2017, 08:35 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:

Long live Freedom!
Do One Thing Every Day That Scares You | Quote Investigator I have to say I was skeptical about this quote being said by ER. It is sometimes attributed to her but she did not say it.

I do not believe that the greater risk you take, the greater freedom you will have.

What if you risk your savings on a hot new, unproven stock? Really? If the stock tanks you will have lost your savings. Where is the freedom in that?

As to your taking a vitamin shot in Mexico, well, you don't really know what is in that shot, do you? It isn't as if the FDA has certified that the ingredients in the shot are what is advertised. And then there is the placebo effect.

You feel free to take your risks; I prefer a safer life, myself.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:38 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,527,305 times
The more risk you take the more reward you expect back which is naturally a great feeling when it comes off, However not at the expense of others

I don't think risk makes you freer as such but maybe it does make you more self aware of your capabilities which does in effect allow you to move more freely and at ease perhaps...

Old 05-21-2017, 08:15 AM

13,630 posts, read 10,031,964 times
$3.25! I hope the needles were new.

Old 05-21-2017, 08:30 AM

13,630 posts, read 10,031,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
The more risk you take the more reward you expect back which is naturally a great feeling when it comes off, However not at the expense of others

I don't think risk makes you freer as such but maybe it does make you more self aware of your capabilities which does in effect allow you to move more freely and at ease perhaps...
Interesting, is that, in that maybe there wasn't a risk in the first place. Which gives freedom from the chains.

Note; It was only the other day, that my wife told me that she'd considered splitting up with me, because of how I used to drive. (Think RAC rally). Now, there's an example of risk, and the freedom in return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology