Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 07:24 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times

Advertisements

I suggest you watch the old movie (available online), Defending Your Life, for an interesting take on fear.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 06-17-2017 at 07:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 11:37 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimChi2PG View Post
Fear is often used to compel people to do things they otherwise wouldn't do and sometimes to do things they never thought they could.

Fear has been used to help keep the masses "in line", such as the fear of God. I've often thought the genius of Emperor Constantine in switching to Christianity was he could instill the fear of God into his soldiers hundreds of miles away. The Emperor wasn't watching them but God was.

Of all the reasons humans have to be fearful, the most baffling to me is irrational fear. The result of reacting to that fear can be surrendering your free will to follow someone who vows to protect you.

What I don't understand is why people don't stop and ask themselves if the fear is real or imagined. Most do but an awful lot don't.

Any thoughts?

Arguably, fear is the most powerful and destructive human emotion of all. As you say, it causes people to do things they know aren't right, can keep people living in misery when they need to get out of a situation, causes anxiety, depression, hopelessness. From where I'm sitting it's the meth of emotions. Not even anger comes close. And anger is bad.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:02 PM

727 posts, read 390,192 times
What may be most compelling about fear is that it's an unknown. That snake MAY bite me. That unlocked door MAY allow a criminal to enter my home. That storm heading my way MAY cause a tree to fall on my house.

As a child, these can be real fears and if we don't have parents there to soothe those fears, we, as children, may go into an uncontrollable panic.

But by the time we reach adulthood, we would hopefully have had adults in our lives who taught us what we should actually fear and what we should maybe keep a watchful eye on.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:17 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Where do you get this idea from? And what do SJW have to do with this topic? Maybe we should discuss obsession.
I'm sure Calvert Hall is trying to imply that if one lives within 100 miles of a Black or Latino person, then their lives are in danger. See, irrational fear.

No one (including people of color) wants to live in bad neighborhoods. However, the mere presence of a person of color doesn't indicate danger.

It's also like the preppers who are convinced that people from urban areas are all going to road trip up to Wyoming, North Dakota, or whatever rural areas they are hiding in should there be a major disaster.

This is what happens with irrational fear: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.9ac1a16cc277

Last edited by charlygal; 06-19-2017 at 07:56 PM..

Old 06-20-2017, 03:34 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,275,259 times
I live with fear everyday. I KNOW most of my fears are irrational. I TRY very hard not to let my fears get the best of me but I admit that sometimes they do.

My husband LOVES to sail. He has a sailboat and I was his first mate. But, for some strange reason, I started to develop an irrational fear whenever the boat would keel over just a bit. I can swim-I'm actually a fairly good swimmer. And we sail in a lake where the shore is never out of sight. So, where did this fear come from? I haven't a clue-but I would have panic attacks on the boat-so much so that the boat is now for sail...er...sale.

I am afraid of flying, but every year, Hubby & I go to Puerto Rico. He holds my hand when we take off (when my fear is the greatest). I either watch t.v. or listen to music to distract me. I swallow my fear as I get onto a plane.

My biggest fear is losing my husband. An irrational fear? Probably not. He is much older than I am and the odds of me losing him increases with each year. So, I embrace what I have while I have it.

Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology