Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 02:32 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times

Advertisements

Now I'm one of the OldER folks here and I don't recall ever hearing those words from my parents. I was born in 1938 and both passed after 2000's. I was just hearing Sherman Alexie and he talked about this and is probably at most 50 or so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherman_Alexie

More on Alexie:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/12/b...of-memoir.html

He never heard this from his parents. Thinking about this I could probably question all my friends who are my age and they would say the same thing, they never heard it from their parents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBwSN0Yw5l0

You Don't Have To Say You Love Me, Dusty Springfield

I know my mom loved her children and dad didn't know love from the bottle. He was angry when not drinking. That's another topic.

Today I tell my 53 yr old daughter and her teens that I Love Them at every chance.

Comments on this.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-20-2017 at 02:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 02:38 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
I was born in 1952. I never heard it ever from my father, who passed in 1995. My mother suddenly started saying it about 2-3 years ago, when she was about 85. Now every time we talk on the phone that's how she ends the call. That, by the way, was one of my favorite songs back in the 60s when I was 12 or 13.

Old 06-20-2017, 02:44 PM

The Song is so profound.

On telling someone you love them, I think about my sister who passed at 68 recently from a battle with MS...I started telling her I Love You when we were about to hang up from a phone call and she had a hard time saying it back to me...she'd say something like, "me too".

Old 06-20-2017, 02:57 PM

Here is another hit by Dusty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yLrSVD6380

Brings back memories of my in-love times.

When I think of today's so called music, all I have to do i hear some of these
oldies.

Old 06-20-2017, 03:17 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,283,360 times
My parents did say it. I once told my grandmother (father's mother), "I love you" and her response was "Thank you."

My mother told me that my grandmother (mother's mother) that when my grandfather passed away, she said, "I never told him that I loved him." REALLY? In all the years you were married you NEVER told him? I didn't want to be like that. Now, I say to my husband, "Have I told you TODAY that I love you?" I also say it to my sibs, grandkids, step-kids, and even to a few friends. I usually end most of my phone conversations with it.

Cat

Old 06-20-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
My parents did say it. I once told my grandmother (father's mother), "I love you" and her response was "Thank you."

My mother told me that my grandmother (mother's mother) that when my grandfather passed away, she said, "I never told him that I loved him." REALLY? In all the years you were married you NEVER told him? I didn't want to be like that. Now, I say to my husband, "Have I told you TODAY that I love you?" I also say it to my sibs, grandkids, step-kids, and even to a few friends. I usually end most of my phone conversations with it.

Cat
Are you younger like 50's or so. You don't have to answer but just wondering.

Old 06-20-2017, 03:34 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
Nope, never heard it from my parents or at least not at an age where I can remember.

My sister recently texted me something (she is 47) and ended it with "love you" and I almost fell off my chair. I guess times are changing.

i only say the LOVE word to my partner. Not to friends or anyone else. I also don't LOVE shoes or celebrities I have never even met. I think this word is overused.

Old 06-20-2017, 03:37 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,283,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Are you younger like 50's or so. You don't have to answer but just wondering.

Yes.

Cat

Old 06-20-2017, 04:23 PM

20,396 posts, read 14,667,898 times
I feel the opposite, oh-eve. I think that it's underused, and that there is no such thing is loving too much or cheapening the concept. You want it to stick and to really matter, mind your love languages. If you REALLY LOVE someone, just saying "I love you" should not ever be considered enough all on its own.

5 Love languages:
Words of Affirmation - Don't just tell me you love me, please tell me how and why, or what you love about me.
Physical Touch - Show you love me when you can't keep your hands off me, even friends who braid my hair or hold my hand.
Quality Time - Show you love me by spending time doing special things together. Arrange time to spend with me.
Gifts - Show you love me by giving me the perfect gift--not necessarily the costly one, but the one that shows how well you know me, or that you were thinking of me.
Acts of Service - Show you love me by doing things for me. A man I know loves to cook and play music for people that he loves. He is an "Acts of Service" kind of guy.

I tell so many people that I love them. And I do! There is no scarcity to my love. No limits. It's not a finite resource. I don't love my first son less because I gave birth to a second one. I don't love my boyfriend less because I love many of my friends, and even my former lovers. He knows this. Love isn't a trap, or a threat, or demand that we DO SOMETHING. It's just a very positive feeling of attachment for someone who is important in your life. I have loved people that I was not in love with, and I have loved people I didn't even like!

Old 06-20-2017, 05:00 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,389,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Now I'm one of the OldER folks here and I don't recall ever hearing those words from my parents.
Weird, I was just thinking about this. I never heard it from my parents. How can a parent not say those words?
It makes me sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology