Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 12:43 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,936,051 times

Advertisements

Stubborn. This is a double edged sword that cuts both ways. I don't know how often I have regretted my unwillingness to see something from another person's point of view or that my way of doing things might not be the only way or even the right way. (I am working on this) On the other hand, my ability to dig my heels in and never, ever give up no matter what, has gotten me through some extremely difficult times and live to fight again another day. I refuse to accept the role of victim and if I feel that something is unfair or unjust or just plain wrong, I'll fight back any way I can. And I'll also do this when I see others being treated unfairly. My first battle in this regard was with my Kindergarten teacher who made the entire class take a "nap" for 15 minutes because a few of the other children had been noisy. I walked right up to her and said, "Teacher, that's unfair. I wasn't being noisy and some of the other kids weren't either. Why do WE have to be punished, too?" A rabble rouser at age 5!

People also often consider me "eccentric" whatever they mean by that. I just figure that girls just like to have fun and so long as I'm not harming anyone else, why not? For example, I once spent an entire summer camped out all alone in a remote part of the Colorado mountains. Women aren't supposed to do stuff like that because what if a cougar gets you or some stranger with a poor motive chances across you? Sure, bad things happen, but I'm completely at home in my environment and I know how to minimize the chance that something bad might happen. It was an amazing experience and I'll always be glad that I did it - "eccentric" or not!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 02:48 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,116,365 times
I quite enjoy being emotionless and rational. I am blunt and straightforward. All those things are frowned upon.

Old 06-29-2017, 03:47 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,528,172 times
Adaptable - I can flourish around difficult people and/or situations. Bosses that go through multiple managers I can get along with. Some will say I kiss ass or am lack conviction. No, I understand what is in my power to effect change and what is not. I see alternatives where others say "I've had enough". I remind myself that I always have choices and that I can always find a way to persevere. The downside, I have little patience for those who view themselves as victims. We all have choices.

Old 06-29-2017, 04:42 PM

242 posts, read 262,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I am enjoying my stretch of time as a stay-at-home mom of two small children.

As an educated woman in my forties who has long held professional positions across several careers, there is a certain line of reasoning that says I'm supposed to feel stifled and unfulfilled by taking time to be home with my kids when they are babies, or resentful that I'm pausing my career, or isolated because I'm not in the working world with easy access to a cohort of peers. Only none of that is true of me or applies. I'm really enjoying being able to do this.
Off topic: Woman! You are living the dream life! Society (feminists?) lied to us women telling us a career and being independent will make up happy. Having our own family...that is true happiness and fulfillment! I have friends who are about to turn 40 and alone...great careers though but alone and miserable!

Old 06-29-2017, 11:14 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomoon View Post
Off topic: Woman! You are living the dream life! Society (feminists?) lied to us women telling us a career and being independent will make up happy. Having our own family...that is true happiness and fulfillment! I have friends who are about to turn 40 and alone...great careers though but alone and miserable!
I'll go back to work (I'm working on a master's degree while I'm out of the workforce to lay groundwork for a career switch), and I'm excited about the switch I'm making. I wouldn't say I'm NOT a feminist, but it isn't antifeminist to take the time to raise my small children when I can. If anything, I'd like for my daughter (and my son) to know via example that making the choice to step out of the professional world for a period of time to be with them in their very formative early years IS being independent and making an independent choice.

Old 06-30-2017, 06:43 AM

1,347 posts, read 945,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I am too outspoken. I always have been. I struggle with tact
Same here.

Mine: I make a pretty good salary, especially for the geographical area I live in. I don't go around bragging about it, but I also don't pretend I'm cash-strapped or "can't afford that", and I'm pretty open about the fact that I'm not always chasing bargains (often my time/energy is more valuable to me than a few bucks saved). I was both fortunate in the career that I pursued and I have worked hard, and I'm not ashamed of it.

Old 06-30-2017, 03:40 PM

52,253 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I am too outspoken. I always have been. I struggle with tact
Are you one of those types that act obnoxious all under the guise of "just telling it like it is." There's a thin line between being outspoken and being a less than pleasant person to be around.

I'm happy to say that I can't think of any negative traits that I'm proud of. Most of my stuff that is negative about me I am fully aware of and I don't take any pride in them.

Strange thread, last time I looked we kept our baggage in stow.....or we at least tried to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology