Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 02:55 PM

19,802 posts, read 9,349,573 times

Advertisements

For example, some people are proud of being stubborn to the point of never admitting they are wrong, or someone might "brag" that they don't even know how to operate a washing machine or dishwasher.

In my own case, I am a senior and I don't care that I'm a dinosaur -- and in fact I am proud that in many ways I am stuck in the 20th century. For example, I am absolutely clueless about any of the newer (post-2000) social media and electronic gadgets, and I don't want a Smartphone. (I also bake from scratch, and I don't even own an electric mixer.) Most people think anyone who doesn't take advantage of texting, Twitter, Smartphones, etc. are just set in their ways and refuse to adjust/adapt to the 21st century, but I am proud that I refuse to adapt, or at least as much as I am able to get away with it..

So what "vices" or flaws do you have that you don't actually believe are vices or flaws?

Last edited by katharsis; 06-27-2017 at 03:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 03:23 PM

20,378 posts, read 14,647,504 times
Probably the biggest most glaring one for me, is that I am a woman, and I'm not even slightly shameful about sex. I have been blessed with a glorious variety of wonderful lovers, people I'll never forget, and many who remain dear friends. I've had great experiences. Some of the actually sexual kind, others when one gets into BDSM that everybody assumes are all about sex, but they are not. Much closer to something like massage.

Not only does it sound like bragging when I talk too much about this, but there is in our culture this sort of disapproval that I'm not ashamed of it, or think it's proper to talk about at all. Like when a woman is sexual, she should be punished for that. All I can say is that when I did what society expected, I was not happy. When I've gone a route more authentic to my desires and happiness, I've found joy. I will never again live for what other people think I should be. In my community I have learned not to hate my own body, and I know few enough American women who can claim that. Funny thing about being naked around others, it really doesn't take very long at all before it's no big deal for anybody there. I am comfortable in my skin. I am comfortable with my history. I am blessed with the amazing company of awesome people.

Plenty of people think I'd be far more respectable if I were a frumpy suburban housemarm who is desperately dieting and hates her body to the point she doesn't even enjoy sex anymore. Far more normal, in America. People who don't know me might name my flaws and my vices. People who do know me don't seem to judge me though. Or if they do, it is behind my back and I don't worry about that.

Oh. Another. I probably gossip too much. I get excited about people and their people-stories. I usually try to warn my close friends and loved ones, that I can keep a confidence, but I have to be asked to do so, because it's not my default mode. I don't gossip in a judgmental, nasty way. Just in a "here's something interesting" telling a story kind of way. *shrug*

Old 06-27-2017, 06:29 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,147,759 times
I am too outspoken. I always have been. I struggle with tact

Old 06-28-2017, 11:40 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,878,376 times
Stubbornness, ability to get a reaction out of people, inscrutability of my personality to others, and trifecta ability to scare others with my anger, directly/disrespectfully tell off individuals no matter how powerful they are, and egg on mobs toward folks I despise

Old 06-29-2017, 12:10 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,559,149 times
I am enjoying my stretch of time as a stay-at-home mom of two small children.

As an educated woman in my forties who has long held professional positions across several careers, there is a certain line of reasoning that says I'm supposed to feel stifled and unfulfilled by taking time to be home with my kids when they are babies, or resentful that I'm pausing my career, or isolated because I'm not in the working world with easy access to a cohort of peers. Only none of that is true of me or applies. I'm really enjoying being able to do this.

Old 06-29-2017, 02:41 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,047,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
For example, some people are proud of being stubborn to the point of never admitting they are wrong, or someone might "brag" that they don't even know how to operate a washing machine or dishwasher.

In my own case, I am a senior and I don't care that I'm a dinosaur -- and in fact I am proud that in many ways I am stuck in the 20th century. For example, I am absolutely clueless about any of the newer (post-2000) social media and electronic gadgets, and I don't want a Smartphone. (I also bake from scratch, and I don't even own an electric mixer.) Most people think anyone who doesn't take advantage of texting, Twitter, Smartphones, etc. are just set in their ways and refuse to adjust/adapt to the 21st century, but I am proud that I refuse to adapt, or at least as much as I am able to get away with it..

So what "vices" or flaws do you have that you don't actually believe are vices or flaws?
So why do you "refuse" to adapt? I never understood people who "refuse" to adapt to technology that is put in place to make people's lives easier and more adaptable to your fellow man. Like people who refuse to use/get cell phones which is arguably the most important/worldly invention in the last 20 years. Are some people just so caught up in not accepting change or being "too proud to adapt"? I'm sure it was the same when they first invented house phones, TVs, the automobile, etc.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:18 AM

1,557 posts, read 1,157,209 times
Why do people refuse to adapt?
I think it is a result of fear. And, if they are really in my face about it, righteousness.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:20 AM

1,557 posts, read 1,157,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I am enjoying my stretch of time as a stay-at-home mom of two small children.

As an educated woman in my forties who has long held professional positions across several careers, there is a certain line of reasoning that says I'm supposed to feel stifled and unfulfilled by taking time to be home with my kids when they are babies, or resentful that I'm pausing my career, or isolated because I'm not in the working world with easy access to a cohort of peers. Only none of that is true of me or applies. I'm really enjoying being able to do this.
You go, mom!

Old 06-29-2017, 11:32 AM

2,790 posts, read 1,643,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
So why do you "refuse" to adapt? I never understood people who "refuse" to adapt to technology that is put in place to make people's lives easier and more adaptable to your fellow man. Like people who refuse to use/get cell phones which is arguably the most important/worldly invention in the last 20 years. Are some people just so caught up in not accepting change or being "too proud to adapt"? I'm sure it was the same when they first invented house phones, TVs, the automobile, etc.
You have to learn something new. The learning curve is a pain.

Either that, or they just plain Don't Want To. If whatever they're using works fine, then why do something new?

And no, I'm not a senior citizen either.

Old 06-29-2017, 12:27 PM

529 posts, read 508,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
Well, I mean, if you have a cellphone it means you can be reached at anytime. On the other hand, if you don't have a cellphone it means people need to acknowledge there will be huge stretches of time you won't even know they attempted to contact you. I guess for old people it's part of that ability to not always feel like they are available. Of course cellphones are good for navigating or emergencies and stuff. Also, what other stuff has been invented in the past 20 years? If internet is consider e, I'd say that's a lot more important than the invention of cellphones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology