Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2017, 08:41 PM

47 posts, read 42,931 times

Advertisements

I read the post on crazies. Personally, I do not feel comfortable around crazy people if they seem out of it and ready to attack, screaming out in the middle of a public square. I do not like the ones who are very nasty and mean. I also do not like the paranoid jealous connivers either.

I thought I may be crazy, but my therapist said I was eccentric, and not disordered. I absolutely adore other eccentrics, but they are few in between and difficult to find. Tattoos, nose plates, ring? whatever they are do not make one eccentric, just followers, trendy. If done many moons ago, it might be if no one else had one.

Do any of you like eccentrics or is it a turn off?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 12:20 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,147,063 times
Funny: the Seattle south-end neighborhood of Georgetown is filled with eccentrics. "I think" it is something of a de facto artist's colony, with small / light industry all over town (maybe a square mile or so). Perfect for shop work, just north of Boeing Field so no one will be building cute little condos there anytime soon. Friend of mine rented a shop there for awhile, to work on motorcycles (resto-mod).

So if you wander into the eclectic bars and restaurants...they're all rather "industrial" in deco...you'll find heavily tattooed or otherwise altered people. Lot of LGBT. Median age about 27, I'd guess. People who feel comfortable hanging out with non-traditional folks like themselves. I say: that's what I'd do, if that was my scene and I was resigned to Working Class life.

But, being ambitious and knowing the game I stealth my eccentricities because conforming with what they used to call "the Squares" pays well and doesn't intimidate others in business. Even companies that embrace iconoclastic behaviors have unspoken rules about dress and behavior. I tested, and found, those boundaries in my late 20s, and decided pretty consciously to hide in plain sight instead because even eccentrics make others nervous, as I assume you know. Everyone who isn't in an attractive hetero (or homo) relationship is viewed with mild suspicion and will be penalized socially one way or another in the corporate world.

If you feel that strongly about it, join a biker gang or whatever you're into. Connect to an artist colony, or etc. Or if you're trapped, as I am, do some of that stuff on your time vs. your employer's.

Hate the game, not the playa.

Old 07-05-2017, 03:51 PM

That is not really my definition of eccentric. It is more an ingrained mentality. You do not have to look different and a person can still detect you are eccentric. A biker gang, I have no clue or real interest in biker gangs. I may not even be eccentric. My therapist may be wrong, but I have been told this by others. I found interest in another eccentric and spotted them shopping at places I do, my leaving and them going in. They also belong to a social setting, but I do not know them. They give of the same vibe as I do, unapproachable. It is not an intentional air. I like that he dresses differently but not like anyone else does.

Old 07-05-2017, 07:13 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,880,599 times
Eccentrics are not always unapproachable. Some are friendly extraverts - Katy Perry, for example. I don't like her (annoying), but I am eccentric and probably can't like a regular person as much as I like some eccentrics. As de facto straight edge (long before I ever heard the phrase) with ambition and some rather conventional tastes (notably music and appearance), that makes it hard for me to like many of the more stereotypical eccentrics. Also, re eccentric vs. crazy, I think social exclusion pushes people toward eccentricity, and trying to make an eccentric conform too can be harmful to mental health. I discovered that some personality disorders once were commonly referred to as "eccentric disorders."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Person...c_disorders.29
I'm not happy with eccentric people whose behavior frequently veers off into toxic.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Eccentrics are not always unapproachable. Some are friendly extraverts - Katy Perry, for example. I don't like her (annoying), but I am eccentric and probably can't like a regular person as much as I like some eccentrics. As de facto straight edge (long before I ever heard the phrase) with ambition and some rather conventional tastes (notably music and appearance), that makes it hard for me to like many of the more stereotypical eccentrics. Also, re eccentric vs. crazy, I think social exclusion pushes people toward eccentricity, and trying to make an eccentric conform too can be harmful to mental health. I discovered that some personality disorders once were commonly referred to as "eccentric disorders."
I'm not happy with eccentric people whose behavior frequently veers off into toxic.
I meant non approachable as in the mind is far off. It is too busy thinking (off in a distance world) and they do not look like they wish to be bothered. They are there but not there. Oddly, this one man that has piqued my interest is always at the same stores walking in as I am about to pull out in my car from a distance. Eccentric as in wearing plaid with stripes or strange colored socks, but they pull it off while another could not.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:22 PM

Quote:
I do not find Katy Perry to be eccentric. She looks like she put a lot of thought into her image. Andy Warhol was eccentric. Jim Morrison was eccentric. They are not the best examples because they did get to be a bit much by going far too deep into their minds.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:45 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,880,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LettheRightOneIn View Post
I meant non approachable as in the mind is far off. It is too busy thinking (off in a distance world) and they do not look like they wish to be bothered. They are there but not there. Oddly, this one man that has piqued my interest is always at the same stores walking in as I am about to pull out in my car from a distance. Eccentric as in wearing plaid with stripes or strange colored socks, but they pull it off while another could not.
That has been said about me, that I can be lost in thought and not notice my surroundings. Sometimes happens when I'm supposed to stop at a mailbox

As far as image, trust me - some of us (probably including Andy Warhol) are quite deliberate visually, even if it looks conventional. Sometimes looking normal gives more room to safely act strange. Katy Perry, by the way, has the less-than-stable personality that's likely the norm for eccentrics.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:56 PM

Quote:
That has been said about me, that I can be lost in thought and not notice my surroundings. Sometimes happens when I'm supposed to stop at a mailbox

As far as image, trust me - some of us (probably including Andy Warhol) are quite deliberate visually, even if it looks conventional. Sometimes looking normal gives more room to safely act strange. Katy Perry, by the way, has the less-than-stable personality that's likely the norm for eccentrics.
I see bubble gum with Katy Perry. I have nothing against her and will respect your opinion. Fiona Apple was eccentric, but she went too far off into the deep abyss.

Old 07-08-2017, 06:58 AM

4,186 posts, read 3,400,840 times
People with bolts through their noses and head-to-toe tattoos are not eccentric. A man who builds a castle out of seashells is eccentric.

Old 07-08-2017, 07:55 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,052,616 times
If you're filthy rich or famous and your do something way over the edge you're considered eccentric; otherwise you're crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology