Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2017, 12:40 PM

32 posts, read 54,545 times

Advertisements

So I have always known I had a little bit of anxiety/depression, I can remember as far back as middle school days dealing with some of this. It comes and goes, but seems to be worse when situational life events happen. I have been struggling more with depression ever since a break up a couple months ago, and it's making daily life sometimes difficult to deal with. Today at work I made a really stupid mistake, I knew I shouldn't do it but I wasn't using my head to make a better decision and it happened. My boss found out and she actually got talked to by another manager because of my action. I care so much about how others view me and how this mistake will make me feel like I am walking on eggshells at work because I did something so stupid. I can't bear the thought of people not liking me or thinking I'm stupid. I had a lot of anxiety leaving work that day and on the drive home, I was sobbing, thinking about how I just wish I wasn't here anymore and it would be better to be dead so I don't have to deal with life.. I know I would absolutely never act on this, but the fact that I was even thinking that way in the moment scares me. As I type this I don't feel so extreme, but still very hard on myself and wish I could go back and erase my mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 06:38 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Would it help to sit down with your supervisor and offer an apology for whatever you did? It will show your supervisor that you care about your place at work, the work you do, and that you try to be a valuable person. They may well sympathize and assure you that a formal apology wasn't expected or necessary. Everyone makes mistakes...its owning up to them that matters. Its a civil gesture and an adult one after all. That should make you feel a bit better about the whole thing. It might also make it easier to talk with this person about work anxiety. They may be able to help reduce the stress once they know its there. They may also appreciate your concern for them. Turning a bad situation around so it is more about another person instead of yourself can be very very powerful.

I know exactly what you are feeling believe me. Finding a way to relieve someone else usually made me feel better.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:22 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,928,264 times
Allison gave you some great suggestions. I know it's easier said than done, but try not to beat yourself up so bad about making a mistake. We all makes mistakes and will continue to make them; it's a part of being human. As long as your mistake is not due to gross negligence and a lack of concern for your work (which it doesn't sound like it was), then it shouldn't be something that will cause a catastrophe to happen at work (like you lose your job). Hopefully your work has in place an environment where you learn from mistakes and not seek someone to blame.

I work in a field where mistakes can be very, very deadly. But they happen. Thankfully most of the time they're not life-threatening, but they can be. When I make a mistake, I look at it as a time for me to learn how it happened and how to avoid it in the future--like in what area does it seem I'm not taking sufficient carefulness in? Try to look at your mistakes as opportunities to learn from them. Perfectionism can be a good attitude to have since you are concerned about doing things right (which is generally very good!) but an extreme attitude towards that will have negative effects like it does for you such as your anxiety and other negative thoughts. Unfortunately, we are not perfect. We will make mistakes. Your employer should understand that, and hopefully in time you will be less severe on yourself when you make them!

Old 07-14-2017, 02:20 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,065,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anconnor89 View Post
So I have always known I had a little bit of anxiety/depression, I can remember as far back as middle school days dealing with some of this. It comes and goes, but seems to be worse when situational life events happen. I have been struggling more with depression ever since a break up a couple months ago, and it's making daily life sometimes difficult to deal with. Today at work I made a really stupid mistake, I knew I shouldn't do it but I wasn't using my head to make a better decision and it happened. My boss found out and she actually got talked to by another manager because of my action. I care so much about how others view me and how this mistake will make me feel like I am walking on eggshells at work because I did something so stupid. I can't bear the thought of people not liking me or thinking I'm stupid. I had a lot of anxiety leaving work that day and on the drive home, I was sobbing, thinking about how I just wish I wasn't here anymore and it would be better to be dead so I don't have to deal with life.. I know I would absolutely never act on this, but the fact that I was even thinking that way in the moment scares me. As I type this I don't feel so extreme, but still very hard on myself and wish I could go back and erase my mistake.
You did it on purpose, you set yourself up.
You implicated yourself with ", I knew I shouldn't do it but ...."

The 'BUT' is the rationalization, that is the lie you are having trouble swallowing.

Part of you is doing this, you might be only vaguely aware.
Wishing you were dead is what that part of you wants you to think.
You will never find your truth unless you are hard on yourself, failing to do so will set in motion chains of events (you already do this) and life will be far harder on you in response.

I've been there and walked every inch of that road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology