Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 01:52 AM

14,888 posts, read 8,211,612 times

Advertisements

Yes, I have had neighbors borrow things like this before. It's no biggie to me.
I never borrowed stuff though....it's just never been in me, to be a borrower....

But, now that I think about it, it happened decades ago...I guess it was more of a seventies/eighties thing...
we were usually close to our neighbors, sometime go to each other's cook outs, lend things, they would usually return
the item that they borrowed....or bring you part of the finished results....cakes, brownies, cookies etc.
But, neighbors were just closer to each other back then.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 03:49 AM

23,177 posts, read 26,293,781 times
I can only recall a few times in my long life when I've had to do so, but I have...once was actually the proverbial 'cup of sugar'.
I hate to live in a neighborhood where there wasn't at least one or more friends/neighbors that I couldn't ask or that would ask me why I didn't just go to the store and buy some.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:05 AM

6,195 posts, read 4,664,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I can only recall a few times in my long life when I've had to do so, but I have...once was actually the proverbial 'cup of sugar'.
I hate to live in a neighborhood where there wasn't at least one or more friends/neighbors that I couldn't ask or that would ask me why I didn't just go to the store and buy some.
I think it's one thing to use it sparingly when it's really needed versus constantly doing it just because it's a bit more convenient borrowing from the neighbor. One time I asked to use my neighbor's phone when I locked myself out of the house and didn't have my cell phone with me, and they were kind enough to help me out. I would reciprocate in most cases.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:31 AM

508 posts, read 503,345 times
I am not the biggest fan of lending nor borrowing since if the item breaks it doesn't make the situation pleasant for anyone. I have borrowed certain items (hedge trimmers) to test out to see if I need to buy myself a similar or more powerful model, but I make sure it is not a reoccurring theme. Plus we're in our 30s and are able to afford our own things.

I do have in-laws who mooch like crazy though. Like "borrowing" crazy glue or making brownies at their relatives house because they're too cheap to buy a mix master. They're also not poor, just cheap.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:43 AM

4,858 posts, read 3,672,213 times
Never had that happen to me.

I've had neighbors want to borrow lawn equipment, wheel barrows, saws. I tell them I do not loan out my stuff. Ever.

I buy it, I use it. Not you.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:46 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,085,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
I hate neighbors bugging me for stuff,...
Ah yes, the new American way. Such kind neighbors. Actually in my area people are still kind to one and other and I would have no problem handing over a cup of sugar or whatever, but I live in a wealthy area, so it will never happen, but still it is strange how cold people have become. Please don't move to my area. Thanks.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:19 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,574,209 times
Quote:
I see it on TV, but wonder if it happens in reality. I guess housewives used to do it before my time?

I hate neighbors bugging me for stuff, and I would never bug them for anything.
Was it just an excuse to socialize (or to be nosy and pry into your neighbor's personal life) ?

The supermarket is just down the street...
For anything else, go to Home Depot, freeloader.

but in many places the supermarket is not down the street. I lived in South Jersey, in a classic development. the supermarket was 2.5 miles away, which meant getting in the car, parking yada, yada, yada.

I am a borrower and I say 'thank you" god every day that I know my neighbors and my neighbors are great. I have been cooking a realized that I'm out of something.

my next door neighbor went on vacation last week and forgot to stop her mail. no biggie, she texted me and I collected it for the week.

Yesterday she dropped by and gave me a beautiful bouquet of flowers.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:45 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,601,901 times
Quote:
I see it on TV, but wonder if it happens in reality. I guess housewives used to do it before my time?

I hate neighbors bugging me for stuff, and I would never bug them for anything.
Was it just an excuse to socialize (or to be nosy and pry into your neighbor's personal life) ?

The supermarket is just down the street...
For anything else, go to Home Depot, freeloader.

You sound like a great neighbor. I bet you get on with people and have a happy social life. Am I right?

Old 08-02-2017, 07:49 AM

506 posts, read 513,737 times
As a kid in the 1980s to 1990s, I lived in a one-car household (at the time, Mom didn't drive. She overcame that fear in the 2000s). If Dad was at work and I am home with Mom, and if she needed anything, she would just send me to the supermarket with money. It was a mile walk.

I remember one time I rented an apartment in my 20s. My aunt and uncle lived nearby, next door to freeloaders. One time one of the freeloaders wanted to "borrow" tampons.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:04 AM

1 posts, read 638 times
I was really suprised to read this post.
I live on a dead end road with 6 houses,
and we borrow a cup of sugar or stick of butter from each other all the time!
Who wants to stop in the middle of making dinner to run to the store?
Two weeks ago my neighbor came over and needed 5 pounds of potatoes as she was making dinner for guests, her husband had forgot to get tgem at the store and he was too busy helping get other stuff done to run back.
It was no biggie, neighbors help neighbors, that's how it should be!
I also know that if I needed anything at anytime night or day I could count on anyone of my neighbores, well I should say with one exception,
There was a new couple in their late 20's who mived in a house on our road about 2 yrs ago, and tgey are extremely snotty and stuck up! She's a nursewhich she reminds you at every chance she gets, which is veey surprising because I wouldn't want hee taking care of my sick dog let alone a human being! I think it's interesting though that I'm almost 43 my husband is 45 and until they moved in the neighborhood, we were the youngest couple on the road, we both were just raised to be kind and friendly to people and you help your neighbors. That's what society needs more of not less, no matter how close the store is!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology