Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 08:24 AM

7,020 posts, read 11,314,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I'm not Catholic, but I think, technically, the wine and the bread are TRANSPOSED into the blood and the body.

In most other Christian denominations, the wine and the bread are supposed to REPRESENT the blood and the body.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transubstantiation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 08:25 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Everything is mind altering, street and prescription drugs, alcohol, love, television, music, exercise, meditation, prayer, etc. I think everything should be legal. We have one life, we shouldn't be told how to live it. If we hurt someone we should be held accountable, but if we don't we shouldn't be told how to live. Actually anyone who wants any of the above can and do get them. Laws prohibiting any drugs while declaring similar prescription drugs legal are clearly motivated by commerce, not morality or public safety. I'm 70 and have used drugs and alcohol responsibly. I never was addicted, never got into an accident or even got a ticket while under the influence, never missed work or school or failed to live up to my responsibilities. There's a line in a WWII movie where Robert Mitchum is a high ranking officer and says "It's nobody's business but his own how much a man drinks". Implied was that being a man entails living up to your responsibilities. No one asked Winston Churchill to drink less during WWII, (I read that he drank a quart of gin a day). And no one asked the Beatles to use less drugs, the Queen gave them medals. Keith Richards once said he never had a drug problem, just a police problem.

AAAANNNNDDD many of us have addictions...but they're legal. And we function in society just fine. We like our mind altering coffee, and many of us like our mind altering, good ol tobacco cigarettes.

IMO, something being legal or illegal is the biggest problem. Making a substance illegal drives up prices, drives things 'underground' and stigmatizes the user.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:07 AM

20,393 posts, read 14,667,898 times
I think what I find particularly horrifying about alcohol, is the American habit of using it to loosen up sexual consent. Not just talking about men getting women drunk here, but women I know who drink, to make themselves able to loosen up and enjoy themselves socially. Be less inhibited. I do some pretty extreme sexual and social things, and I talked to a couple of women I'm friends with about some of it, and they said they would have to be drunk. I was shocked and a bit disgusted by that. Why would you not want your full ability to consent in play there? Man, I don't want to lower my inhibitions, I LIKE my inhibitions, they are part of who I am. They help keep me safe.

I have come to the conclusion that I have more fun sober, than most people I know do, drunk.

I do not need to try and dodge accountability for anything I choose to do. I'm not worried about other people judging me. I'll tell 'em where to stick it. I don't need an excuse to have a good time.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:52 AM

10,897 posts, read 7,393,957 times
Quote:
IMO, something being legal or illegal is the biggest problem. Making a substance illegal drives up prices, drives things 'underground' and stigmatizes the user.
AND there's no way to control quality of illegal substances, so you never really know what you're getting. Think of toxic bathtub gin during Prohibition.

Plus the gubmint can't collect taxes on 'em!

Old 08-16-2017, 12:01 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,961,640 times
Maybe you are naturally uninhibited where most people are not. Alcohol lowers inhibitions. People use it for that. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. They are not dodging accountability. They got what they were looking for, just like you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I think what I find particularly horrifying about alcohol, is the American habit of using it to loosen up sexual consent. Not just talking about men getting women drunk here, but women I know who drink, to make themselves able to loosen up and enjoy themselves socially. Be less inhibited. I do some pretty extreme sexual and social things, and I talked to a couple of women I'm friends with about some of it, and they said they would have to be drunk. I was shocked and a bit disgusted by that. Why would you not want your full ability to consent in play there? Man, I don't want to lower my inhibitions, I LIKE my inhibitions, they are part of who I am. They help keep me safe.

I have come to the conclusion that I have more fun sober, than most people I know do, drunk.

I do not need to try and dodge accountability for anything I choose to do. I'm not worried about other people judging me. I'll tell 'em where to stick it. I don't need an excuse to have a good time.

Old 08-16-2017, 12:02 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
AND there's no way to control quality of illegal substances, so you never really know what you're getting. Think of toxic bathtub gin during Prohibition.

Plus the gubmint can't collect taxes on 'em!

And because there's no control, more people die.

Old 08-16-2017, 12:03 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I wasn't aware that people WERE in denial of the intoxicating properties of alcohol.

Old 08-16-2017, 12:07 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
I'm not Catholic, but I think, technically, the wine and the bread are TRANSPOSED into the blood and the body.

In most other Christian denominations, the wine and the bread are supposed to REPRESENT the blood and the body.
Yeah, this is a major dogmatic point of differentiation between various Christian denominations...representation (and what substances may be used to represent) vs. transubstantiation.

Old 08-16-2017, 01:17 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier77 View Post
Bread is supposed to be the body of Christ...do you eat bread?
Actually the whole thing is impossibly silly if you think about it rationally.

Old 08-16-2017, 01:23 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
And actually, alcohol and drugs are in fact the same escapist nonsense. Intentional obliteration of one's consciousness is the goal, regardless of the substance. The fact that we tolerate drunks to such a degree is shameful. Alcohol and drugs should all be legal, but we should tolerate it much less interpersonally. Drunks and druggies should be shunned and marginalized to a greater extent. They are 2 sides of the same bad coin. The fact that people brag and bluster about getting sh**-faced is really quite a disgrace.

Occasionally getting a mild buzz can be fun in a social setting, but only occasionally and never sh**-faced. In fact, they call it that for a reason. And in fact, it would be better to spread actual feces on one's face to achieve the effect more directly, rather than intentionally wiping out the limited supply of neurons one is born with and needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology