Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 02:59 PM

691 posts, read 419,993 times

Advertisements

Its a mind altering substance that can be classified as a drug that IS looked down on if you abuse it.

it can be controlled by discretion of the partaker and addiction is usually the result of poor social judgments.

I drink, i smoke and alcohol is not to be played with it has real consequences that take a long time to develop.

could I be sheltered? the people I know have a special hatred of sloppy drunks and any drunkard along with their disapproval of hard drugs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 04:25 PM

20,393 posts, read 14,667,898 times
I hate alcohol far more than I do pot or acid, and I have serious disapproval of the more extremely addictive and/or deadly drugs like meth, heroin, cocaine. Actually I think that acid, when taken with care in a controlled setting is possibly one of the least dangerous of them all. The other more natural hallucinogens like peyote or shrooms, maybe too, but I can't speak about them as I can with acid because I tried acid but never those other things. I don't think that acid is addictive. I think you can do it one time, and not really crave it. I think that you could set up regulated "trip parks" where people could do it in comforting environments, and would not be able to just leave or drive on it. I think the experience was worthwhile to have.

I believe pot to be potentially habit forming and life damaging. I have known people who used it more like a mood drug like Prozac, they had to have it daily. They no longer acted "high" when on it, but if they could not get any, they became angry and moody and miserable. That withdrawal state doesn't seem to last long, though.

I have never been drunk. My dad got drunk and did scary and irresponsible things when I was a kid (drunk driving with me in the car, punching holes in walls, trying to assault my Mom in front of me)...and I don't like the taste of alcohol, and I also had an acquaintance as a teenager who was sexually assaulted in some rather horrific ways by a bunch of boys at a "no parents home" drunk party. She thought they were trusted friends...so did I, actually. Guess not. They got her semi-conscious and abused her badly, and laughed about it afterwards. Another female friend approached me, hammered on tequila one night, with vomit in her hair and tried to hug me. I have not been close to very many "polite, social drinkers" who only have one or two with no significant effects. Most drinkers I know, do it to get DRUNK. And most of the time, it's not pretty. I have never had any desire to be part of that. As someone with problem alcoholics in both sides of my family tree, and the possibility that dependency could have a hereditary component...it holds ZERO appeal.

As for why things like MJ are illegal (mostly) but alcohol isn't? Whoever said money, is absolutely correct. It was a couple of industry leaders who saw hemp as a serious competitor for their processes, products and profits, and had to embark upon a (very racist and very BS) campaign to demonize and criminalize marijuana. Go read about William Randolph Hearst and DuPont, in relation to this. I wrote a college paper on it, ages ago.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:28 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTroy View Post
Why is it gross?
Because only wine that has been blessed in a religious ceremony is symbolically transformed into the blood of Christ
Not every bottle of vino sitting on a grocery store or liquor store shelf...

Old 08-14-2017, 04:39 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,518,975 times
^^^ sorry didn't see your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier77 View Post
Plus, wine is supposed to be the blood of Christ.
haha NOT all wine- Only if its blessed by a member of a clergy. Most church wine is Mogan David or something equally cheap.

How do I know, my uncle was a monsignor. 2 great aunts were nuns. Yes we were the holy family.

Old 08-14-2017, 05:38 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,518,975 times
Quote:
Bread is supposed to be the body of Christ...do you eat bread?
It too has to be blessed by the clergy to qualify as body of Christ.

Did you know the priest (etc.) has to each all the hosts (or real bread) once it been blessed. The left overs. It can't be thrown out. Do your priest a favor and take communion.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:10 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Bread is supposed to be the body of Christ...do you eat bread?
No, actually, I don't, except rarely, but if I did, I wouldn't tell myself it's somebody's flesh. But hey, whatever turns you on....

Old 08-14-2017, 06:17 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,458,081 times
Who cares about jesus and about the various assorted food items that comprise his body?

It's completely irrelevant to this thread.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:49 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Simple...when you say "mind-altering" the image in people's heads is some crazy '60's hippie type - LSD, 'shrooms, peyote. If they don't have that image of themselves then they'll never put their "drug of choice" (alcohol) in the same category as what a hippie would do.

More practically, alcohol is pretty tame, even compared to most pot...and LSD totally blows booze out of the water. But the way you pose your question sounds like you want to paint with a very broad stroke and then wonder why people who think more specifically disagree with you. MAYBE because they're all uptight...and maybe because you aren't talking very precisely.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:02 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,378,490 times
any more than cigarettes are the worlds' most popular anti-PSYCHOTIC??????

Old 08-14-2017, 09:28 PM

10,897 posts, read 7,393,957 times
Thank you for the reminder; I had some bad news just now, and am going to go alter my mind. Booouuuuurrrrrbbbbboooonnnn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology