Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 01:17 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,777,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTroy View Post
Why is it gross?
Seriously? You don't think the whole cannabalism of christ thing is gross? "Here is the blood and body of christ" and then they give you the wine and the wafer and you're supposed to eat it. You can't see why someone would think that is gross?

I'm a lapsed Catholic. I think xtianity is a weird death cult, and I grew up around it. How much weirder do you think it looks to people who DIDN'T grow up around it?

Christ bleeding on the cross everywhere you look. "The blood and the body". The whole idea of "original sin". "Christ died for us". It would have been a whole lot better if Christ had lived for us and spent a bit more time teaching us how to be better human beings. Why anybody thinks it is normal or OK to concentrate to the point of obsession on the death of christ but then ignore the vast majority of any messages pertaining to his life is beyond me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier77 View Post
Bread is supposed to be the body of Christ...do you eat bread?
That's ridiculously wrong. All bread is not considered to be the body of christ - just the wafers that the priest magically blesses to turn them into the body of christ.

And I agree. It's gross and weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 01:41 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,777,169 times
As for the OP and actual topic of this thread - cognitive dissonance. People don't want to give up their wine or beer.

So alcohol can't be a drug. Because ... drugs are bad. M'kay? So don't use drugs. M'kay? So alcohol can't be a drug.

The consequences of overindulging in alcohol are far beyond where getting high'll get you. If you're stoned you hardly ever go out and start driving around, and if you do, you are highly unlikely to be involved in a fatal accident. Drunks get mean, they start fights, they do dangerous things. Stoners just sit around and talk about "Goooood, man. I mean like - GOD!"

Whoever posted that thing about alcohol being "tame" is living in a dream world. Alcohol is NOT tame. Pot most certainly is.

When people use pot they use less of everything else, including booze. There have been significant reductions in states where pot is legal (even for recreational use) not only in opiods, but also alcohol of all sorts. You better believe booze manufacturers are working hard against further encroachment on their market share by supporting anti-pot politicians and initiatives.

The fact is that the majority of people prefer "partying hardly" (pot) way over "partying hard" (alcohol) - given the choice and the opportunity.

Old 08-15-2017, 02:03 AM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier77 View Post
Plus, wine is supposed to be the blood of Christ.
Oh please. Ever heard of a metaphor? The Bible is chock full of them!

Old 08-15-2017, 03:24 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,023,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is gross.
Rather than gross - just silly.

Old 08-15-2017, 04:01 AM

823 posts, read 1,974,919 times
Wow...I was just making a point. A particular substance -wine- that can be used as a metaphor, during a religious protocol- conducted by a priest and the whole thing- will alway be regarded in high esteem in that society.

Alcohol is banned in Muslim countries. Does anyone care? Not really, alcohol plays no part in the Koran.

That's all, I didnt mean the actual blood of Christ is to be found in any bottle, or each time you eat a sandwich you are eating Christ.

If coca-cola was used in religious ceremonies to represent the blood of Christ and chicken nuggets were used to represent the body of Crhist then nobody would ever suggest it was necessary to ban either coca-Cola nor chicken nuggets.

It may be gross/silly or not, its just how it works...I didnt write the Bible or something...

Last edited by Javier77; 08-15-2017 at 04:17 AM..

Old 08-15-2017, 07:41 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,146,396 times
You can drink alcohol without ever getting drunk or even tipsy. I like the taste of wine and will have an occasional glass with a special dinner. But I have never been drunk. You can't say the same thing about marijuana or cocaine, both which are used to attain a mind-altered high. Yes, alcohol is a drug and can be addictive but it's different than a drug that only is used for a high.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:53 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
Q: Why do People Tend to Not Want to Consider Alcohol a Mind Altering Drug?

A: On the contrary. I love the fact that alcohol is a mind altering drug. Two thumbs up!

Quote:
"A woman drove me to drink, and I didn't have the decency to thank her." -- W.C. Fields

"Whilst travelling through Afghanistan, we lost our corkscrew. Had to live on food and water for several days." -- W.C. Fields

Old 08-15-2017, 10:11 AM

2,916 posts, read 3,001,526 times
While there are lots of smaller distributors, most of the alcohol comes from a few large companies.

Marijuana/drugs in general, I'm guessing, has lower start-up costs and is easier for an independent seller to get started. Because of this, you won't have as much consolidation. With less consolidation, you don't have large companies that pay taxes and put up with red-tape that government bureaucrats enjoy. Government will be OK with legalization when they figure out how to control it more effectively.

Old 08-15-2017, 02:30 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,378,490 times
Alcohol is long, long, and sometimes really long term in it's effects. I'm starting to deal with a brother and a business friend in their forties/fifties and it's starting to catch up with them: brain farts, missing brain glitches, circuits crossed, missing a hybrid chip (in their brain), and not REMEMBERING what they said.....................fifteen minutes ago, an agreement made clearly last week, or an email last month that contradicts what they are now saying.

Old 08-15-2017, 03:09 PM

5,485 posts, read 3,929,244 times
My father is like this. Drinks beer 6 days out of 7, yet disparages people who use marijuana. He's decently open-minded on many topics, but on this one he seems to cling to stereotypes from the '70s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology