Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 10:23 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,368,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Wow! This thread has taken quite the bizarre turn. Whether you like having a piece of lint taken off of you by someone who is not a stranger doesn't seem to be the issue. It seems like some people are reading into it as more than it is: showing dominance, aggressiveness, a one-upmanship, etc. I'm really glad I'm at a point in my life where I don't try to read ulterior motives into everything someone else does.
Being touched on the front of a woman's blouse by someone with whom she is barely acquainted with is an issue. That person has no right to do this, and indeed, has overstepped the bounds not only of propriety but of the assumption all of us women have to the right of privacy. I'm very surprised that any of you would feel doing this is OK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 10:28 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,368,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklesNShine View Post
Personally, I would never touch a stranger, however if a woman had an appearance "flaw" that could be embarrassing, i.e., she forgot to take the price tag off her blouse, or she had food stuck to her face, I'd discreetly let her know. I've had women do that for me on occasion and I've never felt offended by it.
Very appropriate! However, others touching someone they aren't very personally close with on the front of their clothing is a very different matter.

Old 08-23-2017, 12:40 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,633,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Very appropriate! However, others touching someone they aren't very personally close with on the front of their clothing is a very different matter.
And others trying to "tell" another person how their clothing should be is out of line. Even if it is someone close to me. I wish someone would try and attempt to roll up my sleeves and tell me that they should be rolled up. Unless I have called and asked you to be my personal stylist then you need to mind your own business.

Old 08-23-2017, 10:21 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,302,876 times
I think people need to learn the art of minding their own business. If it doesn't affect you let it go unless you like conflict.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:54 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,746,390 times
Oh, for crying out loud. A woman tries to do another woman a favor by removing a bit of lint and people seem to find it "aggressive"?? I admit to being the tag police. Why? Because if my clothes at out of order, I would want to know. I don't care who it is that tells me, or touches me in some insignificant way to help me correct an embarrassing situation. It would be nice if they asked first and I could do it myself, but I'm not going to fault someone for pulling an ant or leaf from my hair, especially if I can't see where it is, or tapping me on the shoulder to whisper that I have TP trailing from my shoe.

Why does everyone have to psychoanalyze everything to death? Here's my psychoanalysis for all that take such offense at being "tended to" by another...You're hypersensitive and a bit paranoid if you are looking for "hidden agendas" in folks just trying to help you out. Get over yourself. Not everyone is out to get you. You're really not important enough in stranger's lives for them to try to find ways to undermine you by casually "fixing" you. Seriously....

Old 08-24-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
You're really not important enough in stranger's lives for them to try to find ways to undermine you by casually "fixing" you. Seriously....
If that were true then they wouldn't bother.

Old 08-24-2017, 12:39 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,577,063 times
Quote:

or tapping me on the shoulder to whisper that I have TP trailing from my shoe.

Why does everyone have to psychoanalyze everything to death? Here's my psychoanalysis for all that take such offense at being "tended to" by another...You're hypersensitive and a bit paranoid if you are looking for "hidden agendas" in folks just trying to help you out. Get over yourself. Not everyone is out to get you. You're really not important enough in stranger's lives for them to try to find ways to undermine you by casually "fixing" you. Seriously....
EVERY behavior and action has psychological underpinnings and psychological basis.

Every behavior and action can be examined for the psychology behind it.

And your example of toilet paper stuck to your shoe has absolutely nothing in common with the OP's scenario.

The original discussion as posed by the OP was about picking an almost non-existent, almost invisible, unobtrusive, inconsequential tiny piece of lint from her top and having the person intrusively touching her body suddenly. Not what you are talking about above.

"trying to help you out" as you describe it does not apply at all in the OP's situation. Removing an inconsequential almost invisible tiny piece of lint is not "helping someone out".

Last edited by matisse12; 08-24-2017 at 01:13 PM..

Old 08-24-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Being touched on the front of a woman's blouse by someone with whom she is barely acquainted with is an issue. That person has no right to do this, and indeed, has overstepped the bounds not only of propriety but of the assumption all of us women have to the right of privacy. I'm very surprised that any of you would feel doing this is OK.
They can think that is ok. But slap their hand out of the way and then they pissed off.

Old 08-24-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Oh, for crying out loud. A woman tries to do another woman a favor by removing a bit of lint and people seem to find it "aggressive"?? I admit to being the tag police. Why? Because if my clothes at out of order, I would want to know. I don't care who it is that tells me, or touches me in some insignificant way to help me correct an embarrassing situation. It would be nice if they asked first and I could do it myself, but I'm not going to fault someone for pulling an ant or leaf from my hair, especially if I can't see where it is, or tapping me on the shoulder to whisper that I have TP trailing from my shoe.

I believe you should mind your own business. If it isn't affecting you personally then leave it be. If I wanted someone's help I'd ask them.

Old 08-24-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post

"trying to help you out" as you describe it does not apply at all in the OP's situation. Removing an inconsequential almost invisible tiny piece of lint is not "helping someone out".
Which brings me to another point someone else made further up in this thread: Why was removing that piece of lint so doggone important? Does it really matter if a small piece of lint is on someone's clothing? Why would it impact someone to the point that they just "need" to pick off a piece of lint off of someone else? It should not be impacting the lint pickers' life that much that they just have to remove it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology