Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 09:27 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,368,101 times

Advertisements

My 86-year-old father with dementia is currently staying in my home. He leaves some serious messes in the bathroom - he just doesn't realize it. Keep in mind he was living on his own until 6 months ago, so I have no idea what he was doing in public bathrooms, but he probably left quite a few messes. My mother also used to complain about my grandmother's bathroom - as her vision failed, she just tended to not see any messes. Wal-mart is a mecca for senior citizens, so I suspect the bathrooms there are going to be worse than at say a target or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 10:48 PM

44,623 posts, read 61,597,128 times
Those people that do those things in public stores and restaurants are usually uneducated anti-social people and some druggies.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:16 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,278,237 times
Many people have no regard for their own property, much less anyone else's. I don't think it's more complicated than that.

Old 08-29-2017, 02:21 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,204,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Those people that do those things in public stores and restaurants are usually uneducated anti-social people and some druggies.
One poster already pointed out that this has happened in professional settings.

Old 08-29-2017, 02:30 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Sol View Post
I went to the bathroom at Walmart the other day, and there was pee-soaked toilet paper all over the seat and turds on top of it and on the floor. It was disgusting.

Do these people have some kind of mental illness and crap all over the place at home too?
They are pigs and if you go to the bathroom at Saks Fifth Ave...you won't find that behavior. Nothing more to say.

Old 08-29-2017, 02:52 PM

10,229 posts, read 6,314,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
They are pigs and if you go to the bathroom at Saks Fifth Ave...you won't find that behavior. Nothing more to say.
True, and also for Single Occupancy and Family Restrooms on Highways.

Old 09-01-2017, 06:44 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
One poster already pointed out that this has happened in professional settings.
I am surprised by some of the things I see people doing the the office bathroom, but nothing like the public bathroom grossness. Younger guys in particular seem to have missed the manners classes. To me the worst was a young guy leaning into the mirror popping pimples (and spattering the mirror with yuck). He just kept doing it while talking to me. I went to the kitchen to wash my hands, I did not want to lean into the splash zone. Another kid dried his hands on paper towels and tossed them on the ground, I just look at him aghast and pointed at it. He picked it up and scampered off, he had no idea who I am but a guy in a suit is terrifying around here I think. Another kid, while in a meeting farted loudly and then giggled about it. Hey buddy this is not a frat house.

I have found vomit, in the sink, stubble from someone shaving, (foamy toothpaste someone spit out and did not rinse away, and once poop in the toilet no flushed (but we have auto flush so maybe it did not work and they could not figure out where the button is). Overall though the office bathrooms are pretty tidy, given the number of people that use them.

My daughter is a cleaning person at an auto mfg tech center. She said she found that if she keeps the bathrooms sparkly clean, people tend to be more fastidious. Some of her co-workers who are not as thorough have a lot more problems with their bathrooms. Kind of the one broken window theory I guess.

Sometimes it is cultural. IN some countries, you do not ever put toilet paper in the toilet, They have a can for it. If there is no can they do not know what to do and throw it on the floor. There is one country in particular where people must just be pigs. People from that country are consistently disgusting in the bathroom.

Old 09-02-2017, 11:05 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,147,759 times
I don't get this either. I do think maybe people don't want to clean up after themselves, and they are OK with having others do the dirty work they don't want to do. I think people who leave messes in public bathrooms are the worst sort of people. I really do. They secretly leave for others the dirty mess to clean up that they created. I guess I feel they are lazy, hostile, cowards.

Old 09-03-2017, 05:44 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,153,191 times
Why they do it: no idea, really. But here are a couple of anecdotes from a large manufacturing plant I worked at.
We had the shop and unionized blue collar guys on the first floor, and most management, engineers, etc., were on the 2nd.
Incidents down in the shop area were not unusual... poo poo on the floor, smeared on walls, toilets stuffed with newspapers, stuffed with toiler paper then a big poo poo taken on top of the paper, etc.

One bathroom on the 2nd floor (white collar) started having some problems with poo poo on the wall, and excessive urine on the floor. nowhere near the urinal. Well, one day a guy was caught red-handed, and he was a shop guy that was sneaking up to this 2nd floor restroom. He was caught walking along one wall and urinating as he went. Dude was about 60 years old, still lived with parents, and was a really obnoxious, judgmental version of "evangelical Christian."

Anyway, he was reported and going to be fired. The union managed to get him off using the story that he saw a cockroach running along the floor against the wall, and he was chasing it trying to drown it with his urine cuz it freaked him out and he didn't want to stomp on it or just let it go. He became more of a laughing stock than he already was, and retired shortly thereafter.

The second anecdote also involves the 2nd (white collar) floor. But in this case I don't think it was a union shop guy that did it ( I say that because it was a little too clever and elaborate). A janitor told me that he was cleaning a toilet stall and in the corner on the floor was a little gift bag tied up with a ribbon. His first thought was that someone had come in there and inadvertently left a gift they'd either received or were going to give someone else. Then it occurred to him "why would someone bring such a thing into the bathroom with them?" Fearing the worst he opened it up and sure enough it contained a giant poo poo that he said "must have hurt whoever did it."

Conclusions: there are some very weird people in the world, and there are some stories that you couldn't even make up.

Old 09-04-2017, 12:43 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,405,639 times
I think that the people who mentioned pent-up hostility and passive-aggressiveness have a point. I don't see this behavior in garden variety public restrooms as much as I see it in the office. These are jobs that have all sorts of screenings and hoops to jump through in order to have the opportunity to work there. So I don't think it is because these people are low-functioning. At a past job we had memos going out about the women's room and pee on the seats, poo on the floor, blood on the walls, etc, but there was also one about the guys picking their noses and wiping boogers on the mirror. If we ever get to the bottom of this, not to mention people stealing lunches, we'd be getting somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology