Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2017, 12:16 PM

1 posts, read 352 times

Advertisements

I thought for a long time that what I wanted in life was to achieve something very high in my field and to never give up. I did just that and I stopped hanging out with people and ended up focusing on studying and learning either at work or at home. Eventually things went south and I was being promoted and had to train other people and teach them my skills, that's kind of where I learned that other people who work with me don't really know **** and they don't put in the amount of effort as me.

I stopped studying since I was always alone and always studying or working on something from work, I completely gave up on studying for certifications 3 months ago and have spent every day playing video games. Truth be told, I have no friends and this work/life is really painful on the mind since you can be really good at what you do and one day you figure out that other people actually socialize outside of work and you're the guy who never gets invited anywhere.

These days, I want to start studying again and end up getting promoted in the next few months, but for what reason? To climb the ladder again, and to make more money and higher status? I've already been there and done that, climbing the ladder isn't fun anymore.

For what reason? I'm single and alone, the other guys are married and spend their time working or sitting at home with their wife

I have nothing anymore, except this career and I used to be so busy and happy I didn't care about being alone. But now, I can only see myself being alone and miserable at this job forever
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2017, 09:52 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Get yourself to a therapist who you can talk to. Tell him or her the things you have written to us. A good therapist should be able to help you know how to think about your past and your future. I think you may have become burned out and disillusioned with coworkers. If you have some vacation coming, I'd take it, and go to a different place and relax.

You need to decide what you want to do in the future. You need to decide whether to use your past ambition to learn about yourself, or whether to waste it in aimless bewilderment.

You have reached a turning point in your life.

Get away. Think. Find a therapist.

You are worth the effort.

Old 09-10-2017, 10:14 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
What's the old saying...No one on their deathbed ever wished they'd spent more time at the office. I was more interested in smelling the roses along the way. I progressed in both my careers, but it wasn't at the expense of family and enjoying life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology