Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2017, 12:22 PM

33 posts, read 27,271 times

Advertisements

Just googled this and seeing how common it is that dreams affect our mood first thing

The only time I have woken up a bit annoyed is when the dream is where I wake up , have breakfast and get ready for work then I actually wake up a bit annoyed that I should have been up 10 minutes before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 02:47 PM

20,422 posts, read 14,736,981 times
I only have nightmares, if I take certain pain meds (I know from having some dental work done recently...Norco is NOT my friend) or more commonly, if I overheat in my sleep. If I get too hot, I wake up from nightmares. Only when awake do I realize I'm physically uncomfortably hot, and kick off blankets or whatever. But I've had nightmares bad enough to put me in a rotten mood before, certainly. It takes me a little time (probably long enough to drink my first cup of coffee) but I get over it, and return to my normal cheerful self...

The worst, is when you wake up at the wrong point in your sleep cycle, and you're all disoriented and dysfunctional. I hate that.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:36 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,384,759 times
Yes.

Waking up from bad dream can leave me with "emotional hangover"
(no alcohol, just a metaphor for lingering feelings in absence of an actual experience) for several hours.
Waking up from good dream may put me in upbeat mental state for a few hrs.
yet may also upset me bc. being awake is less happy than the dream I was having.

Though more often, instantly forget my dreams upon waking-so am unaware of any after effects.

Old 09-08-2017, 07:31 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,361,308 times
Yes, I dreamed once that my husband was having an affair. I woke up and punched him (lightly) in the arm. I have had sad dreams that have left me depressed for hours.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:21 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,892,882 times
I did once. It was a driving dream.

I was heading residential street at night. It was a run-of-the-mill Chicago residential street: houses, trees, sidewalks, and streetlights with overhead masts. All the lights were off, although a few had a dim bluish glow, and weird spheres hung from them, swaying lightly in the wind. There were dead animals everywhere on the road. A sad song was playing in the background, rather than coming from my car radio; I could hear some of the lyrics, but they sounded jumbled and nonsensical.

I woke up in a cold sweat, and my heart was pounding. It took me hours to calm down that morning. I made myself a nice, strong Bloody Mary for breakfast.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 09-08-2017 at 01:48 PM..

Old 09-08-2017, 01:41 PM

13,261 posts, read 8,059,903 times
From time to time, I have dreams involving my ex husband. The dreams are always about one or the other of us walking away from each other. Sometimes it's him (was always him when we were first divorced) and sometimes it's me.

So, when we were first divorced, I'd have dreams were we'd be at a party or something like that...and we'd be getting along, enjoying each other's company...and then he'd just be gone. Left the party without telling me. And it would always leave me so sad.

Then the dreams changed, to where we'd both be at a party or somewhere, getting along, enjoying each other's company, and at some point, I decided I was bored, or I'd meet someone else, and I'D leave...it didn't even cross my mind to tell him goodbye. And THOSE dreams would make me happy. They told me I was finally over him.

And then the dreams changed again. The last couple of times, the dreams have been that he and I have sex, and it's great...and then we both decide this has to end, and no good will come from it. No hard feelings.

And that's what I dreamed last night. Mutual decision, no hard feelings, just that things are over and time to move on.

I don't have these dreams all the time. We've been divorced a good long time, and I've been married to my current husband for 15 years, happily.

I think I dreamed about him last night because he and his wife live outside of Tampa, and I'm concerned for their well-being during the hurricane.

I swear...sometimes it's all like peeling an onion, one layer at a time. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology