Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2017, 09:19 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,481,832 times

Advertisements

I have a minor hang up and was wondering if anyone else has a similar one.

I'm afraid not of death itself, but that I or someone I know may die and it may be the last time I see them. I treat everyone as if I might never see them again or vice versa. I suppose it has a benefit in that I never leave angry or on a bad note. I don't hold a grudge or stay angry because what if that person does? I tell people how much I love them, etc all the time. It's a very positive thing for the people I love I suppose. And maybe for me to a degree too (holding grudges is bad for one's well being in my opinion), but for me, deep down, it's fear motivated. I feel hugely guilty if I forget to say "love you mom"

I think I think this way because my sister died when we were young children and later, my father died when I was a young adult. I didn't get to say goodbye to my sister, but I was with my dad at the moment of his death. In fact, I was able to alert my brother and he got mom so we were all with him (he died of cancer and was I hospice at the family home). Another moment that had a profound effect. When we were kids my brother and I were being brats and driving mom nuts. Then she got a phone call that granddad had a massive heart attack and died. We didn't know what the call was about and kept bugging her. When I found out I felt horrible for making her feel worse during the news. I felt it made things worse. It still bugs me to this day even though mom doesn't even remember it.

It seems to get worse the older I get. I worry about my mom and even my little niece because she's close to the age of my sister. I worry about my boyfriend and I need people to tell me they got home safely after driving or flying anywhere. When I hear my brother is working in a dangerous area, I keep tabs on him through mom.

I don't think feeling this way interferes with my life most times, but now and then it does. Especially when something big is happening (like when my mom had surgery recently). I took off work and stayed with her to make sure she was okay before, the day of, and even after. I knew I would be too concerned to work until I knew she was recovered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 02:58 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Change your Thinking, Change Your Life.

Old 09-13-2017, 03:20 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
I know that since my parents live overseas, I am probably seeing them around 10 more times until they die because they just turned 70 and aren't very healthy.

This sounds pretty shocking but I only think about it every time I leave there and fly back home to the US. It doesn't help to have my life ruined by fear of something I cannot influence. I usually block it out.

Old 09-13-2017, 03:37 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLind View Post

I'm afraid not of death itself, but that I or someone I know may die and it may be the last time I see them. I treat everyone as if I might never see them again or vice versa. I suppose it has a benefit in that I never leave angry or on a bad note. I don't hold a grudge or stay angry because what if that person does? I tell people how much I love them, etc all the time. It's a very positive thing for the people I love I suppose. And maybe for me to a degree too (holding grudges is bad for one's well being in my opinion), but for me, deep down, it's fear motivated. I feel hugely guilty if I forget to say "love you mom"

I think I think this way because my sister died when we were young children and later, my father died when I was a young adult. I didn't get to say goodbye to my sister, but I was with my dad at the moment of his death. In fact, I was able to alert my brother and he got mom so we were all with him (he died of cancer and was I hospice at the family home). Another moment that had a profound effect. When we were kids my brother and I were being brats and driving mom nuts. Then she got a phone call that granddad had a massive heart attack and died. We didn't know what the call was about and kept bugging her. When I found out I felt horrible for making her feel worse during the news. I felt it made things worse. It still bugs me to this day even though mom doesn't even remember it.

It seems to get worse the older I get. I worry about my mom and even my little niece because she's close to the age of my sister. I worry about my boyfriend and I need people to tell me they got home safely after driving or flying anywhere. When I hear my brother is working in a dangerous area, I keep tabs on him through mom.

I don't think feeling this way interferes with my life most times, but now and then it does. Especially when something big is happening (like when my mom had surgery recently). I took off work and stayed with her to make sure she was okay before, the day of, and even after. I knew I would be too concerned to work until I knew she was recovered.
I actually don't think there is anything outrageous about what you are feeling. I think any regular here knows my mother and I haven't gotten along the greatest. When she got diagnosed with Diabetes earlier this year, it was a wakeup call that she won't be here forever. So I've kinda been more aware to get along better with her and it has had a positive effect on out relationship. I've already had my father die with us on pretty crappy terms, so I don't want to take her for granted and have the same happen.

I don't think any action you've taken is unreasonable like being with your mom during her surgery and checking on your brother while he is on dangerous duty. I think most reasonable people would do those things.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:55 PM

678 posts, read 429,601 times
It doesn't sound like a bad thing to me and could lead to much closer relationships. I would say just be genuine and try to driven by love and not fear.

I've never thought of this myself until your post but one thing I may start doing is asking my closest loved ones how they would like to be remembered.

And also take it one level deeper: "when you pass what 'intangible legacy' would you like to carry on?"

Say your mothers response is "to be a good person" then you can think of her and work extra on that after she passes. I believe the essence of people carry on as we're all influenced by people who we're around and have come before us.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:13 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLind View Post

This behavior doesn't really seem maladaptive. Making sure loved ones know they are loved doesn't seem to be likely to have negative functional impact on your life, as you descrIbe it. Staying with a loved one a day before through a day after surgery doesn't seem out of bounds (unless it was something you intensely didnt want to do and felt pressured, or something, but that doesn't sound like the case).

Old 09-14-2017, 04:31 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,481,832 times
Thanks everyone. I just wonder if I worry too much and/or I'm too morbid thinking about everyone eventually dying. I've had death so close and personal to me at a young age that I think it effects my way of thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology