Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 09:37 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,949,345 times

Advertisements

Isn't that the question we have all asked ourselves at least once: did I give the right answer? A sociopath is always confident that the right answer was given because their psychology is based on learning how to give the right answer.

Sociopaths have no empathy. As a young child, they have no barriers to hurting another child. When asked "why did you do it", they quickly learn that the right answer is: "I didn't mean to, it was an accident".

Everyone, regardless of being a sociopath, wants to give the right answer at a job interview. Giving the right answer is so important in socialized society, and, ironically, the sociopath is best equipped to deliver.

Is that why, although a small percentage of sociopaths are violent murderers, the vast majority are charming, manipulative, successful CEO, CIO, CFO types?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 09:52 PM

Perhaps someone with an interest in this obfuscation tool will notice this discussion if I suggest that it's about the question. Who has asked you: do you know the right answer?

Is that the sociopath? Is that the person who learned to deliver the right answer, who is checking to see if another is a soulmate?

Are sociopaths more inclined to discuss soulmates as they rush into an intense relationship?

Is "soulmate" the correct term for "people who give the right answer"?

Old 07-07-2016, 09:56 PM

579 posts, read 555,281 times
I don't much to add.. But this is interesting because whenever my ex hurt me, he would say he didn't mean to. I don't know if he is a sociopath but he definitely had tendencies. He seemed to lack empathy for others at times, then other times when I called him out on it, he would apologize and empathize- but it seemed more like an act than anything else.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:28 PM

Thank you! At least I know that I'm alive and that one other person is communicating with me. Thank you.

Sociopaths are experts at giving the right answer, and they are quick to say "I'm sorry". The question that the sociopath has difficulty answering is: "sorry for what?"

Old 07-07-2016, 10:31 PM

Fun game to play with a sociopath:

Fill in the blank:

"I am sorry because ______".

Usually it's a flounder scramble for the right answer the first time, but perfection comes with practice.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:08 PM

579 posts, read 555,281 times
Other excuses:

"I'm still learning"
"I was just being stupid"

And they don't care to work on the wrongful behavior at all. They would rather just do something and "pretend" apologize, rather than fix their actions to become a better person. I think this is very telling- when someone harms you, do they keep doing it.. Or do they try hard to not harm you again? Sociopaths seem to never try to not harm again, because they simply don't care. They would rather continue with the wrongful behavior and give out a fake apology.

Old 07-08-2016, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy00 View Post
Other excuses:

"I'm still learning"
"I was just being stupid"

And they don't care to work on the wrongful behavior at all. They would rather just do something and "pretend" apologize, rather than fix their actions to become a better person. I think this is very telling- when someone harms you, do they keep doing it.. Or do they try hard to not harm you again? Sociopaths seem to never try to not harm again, because they simply don't care. They would rather continue with the wrongful behavior and give out a fake apology.
BBM

There is no "wrongful behavior" for an antisocial personality disorder person with a specialization in sociopathy.

Because the sociopath does not experience empathy, causing harm does not register in any way other than: how to get out of it; say sorry, claim it will not happy again.

... say the right thing.

Old 07-08-2016, 02:04 AM

296 posts, read 413,425 times
In the human population there are degrees of sociopathy. A subset of pure sociopaths probably exists that you could make generalizations about, but it would be sad to brand everyone who commits an insensitive act as a sociopath for life.

Someone may appear to be sociopathic because of stressful conditions and become more empathetic under better circumstances.

I remember a science fiction short story where those who failed to show remorse for a state-implanted horrific thought were sent to jail.

This thread caught my attention because I have been wondering how to characterize and classify the sociopath and the psychopath. And what is the distinction from the personality disorders?

Old 07-08-2016, 07:06 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,909,968 times
A sociopath might make some reference to " defending himself", or by saying that "everyone does it" , or needing to "look out for number 1, because no one else will". In many cases, the sociopath is just following the example of their parents, and fail to see that they're doing anything that is socially unacceptable. It's not surprising that many CEO types have some of these characteristics..

Old 07-08-2016, 08:05 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,211,328 times
If I am a sociopath (I suspect I might be) how do I answer the internal question "Am I a sociopath?"? I assume if I'm good enough I can lie to myself convincingly enough to seem truthful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology