Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 07:24 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,456,367 times

Advertisements

I note that not all online interactions are nasty but...

I notice on C-D, comments after lots of news articles, or online commerce (like EBay for instance) some people really get nasty and say vile things they would most likely never utter in face to face interaction.

I know that the internet cloaks everyone in some degree of anonymity, but some of this commenting really belies deep seated anger, hatred and other major problems. Are these trolls and malcontents serious? Or are they just playing a role to get attention?

What do you think? What is it about the internet that brings out the worst in people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 08:02 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I note that not all online interactions are nasty but...

I notice on C-D, comments after lots of news articles, or online commerce (like EBay for instance) some people really get nasty and say vile things they would most likely never utter in face to face interaction.

I know that the internet cloaks everyone in some degree of anonymity, but some of this commenting really belies deep seated anger, hatred and other major problems. Are these trolls and malcontents serious? Or are they just playing a role to get attention?

What do you think? What is it about the internet that brings out the worst in people?

That word sums it up. Just like how normally nice people become idiots when they are hidden inside 3,000 pounds of car steel. If no one can get to you, you can be free to do or say anything you want.

Old 07-21-2017, 02:05 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,644,265 times
You answered your own question: anonymity.

Besides, some people are really emotional. When they are emotional, they act out and couldn't care less what they say or do. Even online.

Old 07-21-2017, 02:53 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
I've been on forums for probably over 10 yrs and NEVER the attacks like here. One person for sure, attacks EVERYTHING I say, bring to the conversation. So I see it as attacking me the messenger. Why, who the H knows...could be this person is just out to get what I say and make IT wrong in that person's life. We have totally opposite points of view, so this is probably the reason. Just wants to make me wrong. This person does this with others as well and how long before I arrived here, I don't know. But it's the person's M.O., those who don't think like he/she gets attacks.

Old 07-21-2017, 02:56 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Anonymity.

Difference for me is I will literally say anything IRL that I say here (and do).

Old 07-21-2017, 02:57 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times
On the internet no one knows you're a dog.
"Or whatever"

Old 07-21-2017, 05:04 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
You answered your own question: anonymity.

Besides, some people are really emotional. When they are emotional, they act out and couldn't care less what they say or do. Even online.
This is what I think too.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:40 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,099,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Why do people find the internet such an easy place to argue and be nasty?
It's in our nature.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:04 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by functionofx View Post
It's in our nature.
Speak for yourself I say. My nature is NOT to be nasty.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:09 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,034,396 times
Several reasons:

- No fear of reprisal. On the internet, you can say utterly hateful, bigoted, and violent things without any fear of anything really happening to you in response. Now, why so many people act in such way when given the chance... that's not the fault of the internet... it's just a reminder that a frightening number of people are just plain horrible when allowed to act "as themselves."

As an example, having worked among right-wing extremists in a "safe" environment (nothing but right-wingers and a few exceptions, like me), I can safely say that extremists are as horrible in person as they are on the internet if they know they can act however they want. Endless use of the n-word, hoping somebody "kills all those fill-in-the-blanks," being proud of their violent kids and KKK grandfather - the type of crud you'd expect to see on non-mainstream web forum. So, yes - when you see people screaming how they want to kill somebody based on a differing political view, religious view, or just being new to a video game, odds are they really are that terrible. The internet just gives them an excuse.

- Fake news everywhere. It's easy to find websites that "prove" whatever bigoted idiocy, conspiracy theories, or partisan political drivel one likes. That, in turn, fuels people's rage and certainty that they are right and everyone else is an "idiot" who needs to be ripped apart in a forum somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology