Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 02:26 AM

21,544 posts, read 8,727,966 times

Advertisements

• Dwelling too much on the past. I still lie awake at night beating myself up over mistakes I made 40 or 50 years ago, which leads to...
  • Insomnia.
  • Low self-esteem, shyness and insecurity left over from an emotionally abusive childhood.
  • I wish I were more extroverted.
  • Worried that DH at 77 is showing signs of slipping both physically and mentally.
  • A garage full of accumulated "stuff" that needs to be sorted out, donated or gotten rid off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 03:51 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
....Ancient condiments, including a bottle of garlic mayo old enough that I thought it might be developing sentience and should maybe be enrolled in preschool. A box of nails in with the silverware. A gaming manual in the cupboard with the plates. Dust for miles. I even hauled up all the stuff he had stored in the crawlspace, which was...an adventure. This, friends, is how the zombie apocalypse starts. Not in a lab. In the fridge door of some American bachelor, where the Monster Manual meets the mayo.
I admire your courage.

Old 10-05-2017, 04:38 AM

1,940 posts, read 1,028,995 times
How screwed up this world is today and the people that made it that way.

I grew up in NJ and it is a complex blend of society from all walks of life and races. I moved to Maine expecting a calmer more trusting and caring way of life to find out half that state has a bitter disdain for outsiders.

Look at our President! Rural America is known for their hatred for big cities. Why did they vote for their worst citizen. Gold his favorite color, him bashing Camp David because it is too country, the farthest thing from God, etc.

I met a guy that went into automatic Gun defense when the Las Vegas shooting was on TV! The shooter just showed how to kill the most people by following law. Everyone calls him sick or mentally disturbed which he is but what made him that way. I think our government is mentally disturbed for treating their government position as just a job not recognizing the cumulative impact their decision or lack of affects all of us. If you can't fight 'em, join 'em. That is what the next generation is seeing how to live or totally revolting and not caring.

If you can trace all the problems in your life it will inevitably lead to people. You can't stop mother nature but natural disasters are made worse by the actions or inaction of people.

I think the human condition is caring instinctively, the Las Vegas shooting and the hurricanes have shown that capacity. It's the society we have built around ourselves today that has trained us to squash that in our general lives.

Old 10-05-2017, 04:56 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,164,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
There are all kinds of problems in life:

Money problems
Marital problems
Problems with kids
Problems with parents
Problems with family, in general
Problems with animals
Problems at work
Problems with friends
Problems feeling overwhelmed
Problems feeling lonely
Problems with health
Problems with self-esteem
Problems with mental health
Problems with the law
Problems with addictions
Problems with business dealings
Other

What are your biggest pressing problems right now?

Mine have to do with family issues
yes
yes
yes
yes
yes
yes
yes

etc.

LOL

Old 10-05-2017, 06:56 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Skunks....but I think I got it licked...keeping them away from my property.
(Dog sprayed twice this year running to fence to bark...10 pm and 4 am coming straight into the doggie door!)
That's about it.

Old 10-05-2017, 07:06 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
In American society (don't know how it is elsewhere),
you put on a "Happy Face," and pretend that everything is groovy.

No one EVER talks about what is really bothering them....
Boy, that is not my world...no phony happy faces around me.
I listen to their complaints...just makes me feel bad for them and their outlook seeing what
they draw to themselves, (for decades), but they don't seem to see what they are creating for themselves.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:29 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
for cholesterol? THat sounds horrible. Not curable by healthy lifestyle?

Unfortunately it's a hereditary issue for me. It was high in my 30's when I was 20 pounds lighter I was supposed to be on statins in my 40's but I was dealing with a super bug that required heavy duty antibiotics every couple of months for nine straight years. I couldn'r put my liver and kidneys through that and statins as well. I ski, ice skate, roller skate, ride my bike, walk the dogs, garden, and do projects. I'm not your average 60 year old.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:30 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,286,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Elderly parent care
Chronically ill wife
Finances
Trying to run my Company while dealing with the above
Struggling with changes in the marriage due to both mine and my wife's issues we each deal with
UPDATE - one problem....

Mom dying

Old 10-05-2017, 08:37 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,318,759 times
I'm sorry to hear that.

Old 10-05-2017, 10:00 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,924,785 times
lack of $$$$$$$ can solve most problems...the ones it cant solve it makes easier to endure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology