Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 02:27 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You don't hear executives or supervisors or co-workers talking in the workplace about the sex ed they gave their children at home. You don't hear teachers talking about that, in the lunchroom. For that matter, this issue doesn't arise with gardeners, or painters, or others working around the exterior of the home.
Sure you do.

Having been a teacher, I can attest that teachers can be extremely inappropriate in the lunchroom together. Thankfully not usually in front of the kids. But I have had experiences with substitute teachers who apparently view their job as a bully pulpit for whatever is on their mind that day.

A customer is basically a captive audience, and this kind of chatty person with diarrhea of the mouth usually just doesn't realize that they shouldn't treat everyone the exact same way.

I've even seen retail cashiers like that. And one VERY inapprorpriate phlebotomist who only had me for about 5 minutes, taking a blood sample, but in that time she managed to let me in on some family divorce drama that I still wish I had not heard about. I did report her to the doc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2017, 03:02 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Honestly, some people be's crazy.

Old 10-14-2017, 04:35 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,228,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanG_O View Post
I am married and well over sixty five. My husband wasn't home ; I called the air conditioner place to repair our a/c.
The man arrived , worked outside in blistering heat for twenty minutes then came inside. He had to chat with me, or something, to see if it was really fixed.
This man, Adam, was overweight but really cute and sweet and about forty. Maybe younger. He was talking about he and his wife raising their daughter and what kind of methods they used. He said, "and we tell her, 'a woman has a vagina and a man has a penis.' I was speechless and expressionless. I was sitting in a recliner in my sweats with no makeup on; he was standing up.
Would you have responded? Thought nothing of it? Reported this to his boss? Eventually I said, "I bet you're anxious to get home to your wife after a day like this" and he goes, "she isn't home." He left soon afterwards.
What was the sentence before the one you are offended by? Context matters. I find it hard to believe that someone simply blurted out that sentence randomly.

And what does "in my sweats with no make on" have to do with anything?? And....You obviously were interacting/observing him from your bolded description. You may need to self- analyze how you are sending signals if you think he was flirting.

I would have said, "that's exactly what we told out children too" Then Thanked him for his work and sent him on his way.

Old 10-14-2017, 05:01 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
What was the sentence before the one you are offended by? Context matters. I find it hard to believe that someone simply blurted out that sentence randomly.
It would be nice to have heard the whole conversation.

My go-to phrase when this happens is to hold up a hand and say, "OK, ok I think we're getting into a weird area here. Let's get back to HVAC ..."

That is a not-very-heavy handed way to redirect the conversation while letting him know he's out of bounds.

Last edited by BirdieBelle; 10-14-2017 at 05:15 PM..

Old 10-14-2017, 05:52 PM

52,287 posts, read 52,723,379 times
Didn't read the entire thread, just the OP.

The guy saying that was pretty much on the dullard side of the fence because even if you are chitty chatting in the course of doing service work on someone's home you should still default to not going anywhere near subjects and or using words that could possibly be taken wrong.

That said in the context of what the OP said to be really really offended strikes me as being a pearl clutching prude. I can see someone sorta balking a bit, but it really shouldn't warrant much more than a thought along the lines of "jeez this guy is a buffoon" and go on about your day.

Old 10-14-2017, 05:54 PM

11 posts, read 10,007 times
I find it incredibly inappropriate when strangers feel the need to bring up religion or politics. That's what this was. It was a shot at transgender individuals and the growing acceptance of transgenderism. It wasn't a sexual comment.

We recently had new electrical put in and the electrician couldn't shut up about how great Donald Trump is, how he is going to save America (from what exactly, I'm not sure), and why everyone should be a Christian. Keep your political and religious views to yourself.

Old 10-14-2017, 07:18 PM

49 posts, read 55,223 times
If you're not sure if you should complain or not, let it go. It was kind of weird of him to use those two words with someone he just met, but he doesn't deserve to get in trouble for it.

Old 10-14-2017, 09:47 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Sure you do.

Having been a teacher, I can attest that teachers can be extremely inappropriate in the lunchroom together. Thankfully not usually in front of the kids. But I have had experiences with substitute teachers who apparently view their job as a bully pulpit for whatever is on their mind that day.

A customer is basically a captive audience, and this kind of chatty person with diarrhea of the mouth usually just doesn't realize that they shouldn't treat everyone the exact same way.

I've even seen retail cashiers like that. And one VERY inapprorpriate phlebotomist who only had me for about 5 minutes, taking a blood sample, but in that time she managed to let me in on some family divorce drama that I still wish I had not heard about. I did report her to the doc.
Well! I stand corrected, then! Who knew? Good grief!

Old 10-15-2017, 02:19 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,228,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanG_O View Post
True but I forgot to say he replied that penises come in different lengths and widths. In the context of that's what they tell their daughter. I decided against looking for a measuring tape since he had one in his hand.
Seriously....I am starting to find your story unbelievable.

Old 10-15-2017, 03:08 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,848,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Yep have to agree with the fuddy duddy vote. My friend's daughter came up to me when she was about 5 or so and told me that boys have a penis and girls have a vagina. I told her that she was absolutely right. Off she went to play without giving it a second thought. Children are gender specific. Not talking about it seems like a missed opportunity for a learning experience. What if your child comes up to you and asks what is that thing on that dog? What are you going to tell them?
Considering her youngest (I assume) is 19, I'm pretty sure they all know already. Though that isn't always true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology