Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 11:18 AM

506 posts, read 651,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLidoBeach View Post
Susan, with all due respect.....you had crossed over into the personal arena by talking with him about raising his daughter and making small talk....I guess I am missing something here that would make you consider telling his boss. What would you tell his boss? Do you think the boss should just fire the man? Would that make you feel better? Maybe next time you have a stranger come in your house don't start chatting about their personal life. Maybe that will stop the problem. AND to answer your question...."YES" you are being a Fuddy Duddy.
EXCUSE ME??? I was NOT 'talking about his personal life.' He simply and suddenly and out of context told me how his daughter was being raised. I did Not mention my kids or how they were raised. Not only that, the vagina remark was very much in the beginning of his not asked for chit chat.
If you think I started talking to him about child rearing you are totally mistaken. I thought it was super weird. And I neither had nor have any intention of reporting him. He was just odd. Sweet but odd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
Yikes!! Having read this, I'm changing my mind. You should report him to his company. I've had many, many repairmen in my house when I'm alone over the years and I've never had any one of them come even close to being this inappropriate/creepy.
The words above were a joke, never happened and I would not report him to his boss. He has a daughter to raise and was otherwise a sweetie.

Old 10-13-2017, 11:57 AM

4,481 posts, read 3,641,477 times
As other posters have pointed out, the man probably has no "filter" (or social graces either). He probably wasn't aware that his use of those words with a stranger was both tasteless and unprofessional. I wouldn't worry about it or phone his boss though.

Last edited by Praline; 10-13-2017 at 12:55 PM..

Old 10-13-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
As other posters have pointed out, the man probably has no "filter" (or social graces either). He probably wasn't aware that his use of those words with a stranger was both tasteless andunprofessional. I wouldn't worry about it or phone his boss though.

I agree 100% .

Old 10-13-2017, 02:23 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
I would have to report lots of people if I was so sensitive. Had a 40 year old, good looking windows guy over this week. He told me he recently got engaged, showed me his ring and that he found her in a foreign country through internet dating and they hardly even met. They will be not having sex until marriage which is soon. He saw my truck and wanted to go for a ride.

This is way more personal than OPs story and no way he was suggesting sex with me. I think all you guys are overly sensitive.

Old 10-13-2017, 03:06 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,134,122 times
Just for everyone's information, rape and sexual assault does not just happen to hot young things. Many times it happens to women in their 60's, 70's, 80's and older. Rape is a crime of power and aggression.

as for the op's question, It WAS inappropriate and you are not a fuddy duddy.

Old 10-13-2017, 04:44 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
Op,your reaction is completely normal. You are a refined lady who has good standards. Never let it be said you are anything less.

I doubt the service personnel even considered how it came off in conversation. Just chalk it up to ..He is still in the growing phase to becoming a gentleman...He just has a lonnnng wayyy to go.

Old 10-13-2017, 04:48 PM

2,911 posts, read 1,360,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanG_O View Post
True but I forgot to say he replied that penises come in different lengths and widths. In the context of that's what they tell their daughter. I decided against looking for a measuring tape since he had one in his hand.
Three possibilities here: 1) He's clueless and says whatever comes into his head. 2) He's got a strong sex drive and was toying with the idea of you helping him out. 3) He's a predator, and he preys on older women because they are vulnerable.

Whatever the case, it would be good to let the office know. You might see it as humorous and cute, but the next person may not.

Quote:
I , as a mother to a forty five year old daughter, am well aware that discussing sex now is normal and accepted.
Not between total strangers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
Totally inappropriate. On BOTH of you. One, a repairman has no business having such a discussion with you while he is supposed to be on the clock. I would call his boss and complain. Two, your observations about how “cute and sweet” he was tells me you were not too upset about the conversation, as you obviously were paying attention to something,no?

Also, he did not have to come inside to verify the AC was working. You could have told him that yourself. This guy had other things on his mind.
That's how I see it. You were flattered by the attention and ignored the alarm bells.

Old 10-13-2017, 05:11 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,234,227 times
Quote:
True but I forgot to say he replied that penises come in different lengths and widths. In the context of that's what they tell their daughter. I decided against looking for a measuring tape since he had one in his hand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachie123 View Post
is no one going to mentioned this tidbit?

i think the first thing you said he said was inappropriate but would probably not report him unless he was giving me complete creeper vibes. but now this? definitely report to boss worthy in my book. i wouldn't have that man in my house ever again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
Yikes!! Having read this, I'm changing my mind. You should report him to his company. I've had many, many repairmen in my house when I'm alone over the years and I've never had any one of them come even close to being this inappropriate/creepy.
Quote:
The words above were a joke, never happened and I would not report him to his boss. He has a daughter to raise and was otherwise a sweetie.
wait. what? what in the world? you made that first bolded statement and didn't make any reference to it being a joke at all. now it was a joke and he never said that?

Last edited by beachie123; 10-13-2017 at 05:49 PM..

Old 10-13-2017, 07:05 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,279,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post

That's how I see it. You were flattered by the attention and ignored the alarm bells.
Bingo.

That's pretty sad, actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology