Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 08:29 PM

658 posts, read 722,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
You realize WHY so many people fawn over dogs? Because so many dogs are sycophants who suck up to humans for the material benefits that follow. That's not bad in itself; the problem is the people who think Dog Adores ME, Therefore Dog Can Do No Wrong. You do not see that attitude in cat-lovers!

Really, if a cat scratches someone the owner does not tell the victim, "Oh, she just wants to sat hello to you!" With some dogs owners, anything the dog does, no matter how awful, is OK.
THIS. This has been my experience with dog lovers vs. cat lovers. I think some people enjoy the neediness of the dog because it makes them feel important. They're the "pack leader" and the "alpha" and they can control the dog and the dog needs them and fawns over them and for the most part is loyal etc. because they're getting fed. It's all about food with dogs. Food is the tool by which a dog learns to need/love/follow/be loyal to/admire you. I often wonder does the dog care about the person much at all or is it that they just want the food?

Cats though, they just don't give a poop. You can't control them with food. You can't control them, period. They are their own selves and if they're aloof they're aloof and if they're affectionate they're affectionate. They don't need to be given baths and don't need to be walked.

Dogs I find are a bit goofy. They seem to always want/crave attention and want to be with people. Cats are just whatever mood they're in. I think it is about how important you think your pet thinks of you. It's weird. Do you need to know your pet likes/loves you? If yes, then you should get a dog. If no, you can get a cat or other animal. Dogs seem friendlier plus they can be companions to you outdoors and because of their size they can perform certain tasks. Cats can't and or won't do those things.

Nothing wrong with either one but I must say in my experience I definitely have encountered more people who think their dog's poo doesn't stink (that must be why they leave it everywhere ) and hate cats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 03:46 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
The kickout/trackout litter is why I won't have mine on a linoleum or wood or tile floor. The sense of possibly stepping on the litter in bare feet on such a floor skeeves me right out. Also, I get paranoid that someone will close a bathroom door. I bought a cheap rug, a pretty big one. I've got a hallway that has this sort of alcove for the laundry facilities and there is space near it for the litterbox. Put down this rug, and I vacuum it pretty often. My cat has good aim, I've never had an issue with him peeing (or anything else) outside of the box.

I had to create obstacles though. I got a tall plastic tub with a lid that latches on, and I keep the clean litter and a scoop in there. I placed it by the litterbox as a means to slow down the cat. If I don't sort of block his path a bit, he'll go leaping out of the box and dashing off to run around the house at warp 6 after every time he finishes his business. He's a goof. Like, "Yay, I pooped! Victory lap!" or something.

I only scoop once daily but I only have one cat. It makes me insane when people just sorta forget about the box until it's "overflowing"...that's like...animal abuse. It's wrong, and disgusting.

Also, as a cat lover, I don't judge anyone for "not liking" cats or for preferring dogs. I ONLY...literally only cannot abide people who actually HATE cats, as in, the ones who will swerve to hit one or something, and I have seen this, and met these people. And even though I don't prefer dogs, when I hear about abuse of dogs I get furious, too. Animal abuse is one of the few things that makes me downright ragey. It's monstrous and evil.
Same here. People who are mean to animals don't deserve to be on the planet.

I have two cats now. Had four at one time. I scoop in the morning and again at night.

As I said, I have the litter box on one of those mats that catches the litter in the corner of my bathroom. I do have a second box in the second bedroom, which is on carpet with the box on a little rug. They don't always use that one, but I check regularly to see if scooping is needed.

I'm in a small condo, so my choices of where to put a litter box are limited. There is only one bathroom. I don't worry about "someone closing a bathroom door" because I am the only person here.

Old 02-11-2018, 07:43 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,204,029 times
SATURDAY, FEB 10TH, 2018 | BY DR. MARTY BECKER - Veterinarian

How many people who say they hate cats just don’t know cats?

A while ago, Buzzfeed sent two self-professed cat haters to volunteer at a cat adoption cafe. I give you one guess what happened: Each of them fell in love with a cat. This emotional transformation demonstrated the power specifically of the cat, of course, but also of something else, and that’s the reason I’m writing about this.

If you watch this video, what you’ll see is the birth of the intense bond that exists between people and pets. It was unexpected. It was probably unwanted. And it was undeniable. It actually made the hairs on my arm stand up.

Spend a few minutes getting to know these two people and the cats who changed their whole view of the feline species. I guarantee you’ll be as moved as I was!

https://youtu.be/pZ3iVFxYx5s

Oh, and because some people think anyone who shares a Buzzfeed video is doing it for money, I have no relationship with Buzzfeed at all. I just shared this video because I loved it.

Last edited by FlaLadyB; 02-11-2018 at 07:55 PM..

Old 02-12-2018, 01:19 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,824,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Older people who see cats merely as predators often do not like them. They class them with foxes and raccoons. And since they lived most of their lives before the advent of clumping litter, they likely see them as kind of dirty. People with allergies often do not like cats because they have an extreme physical reaction around them. And cats and dogs have always been put in opposition, so there's that, even though my cat and dog are currently sharing the dog bed.

However, I suggest you hang out with more animal people. Even the most die-hard dog fans in my dog sports crowd tend to enjoy cats. And my friend who is slightly allergic and doesn't really LIKE cats was still happy to cuddle my kitten when I got her. More animal people in your life is the solution, imo. It will dilute the ones who don't like them.
I'm appalled at the moron who lumps in foxes and racoons with cats, such heracy to compare those two creaturwes.to a lesser creature. Foxes and Racoons are in the canine family.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
What the hell would you do if you were locked up with no bathroom? That wasn't the cat's fault, it was the result of your roommate's carelessness.
It should've held it, a dog would. Most people don't have doggy doors and if left alone with food and water, it'll eat and hold it's bowels until let out side. Nobody can deny that a dog won't on average.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:57 AM

89 posts, read 66,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
It should've held it, a dog would. Most people don't have doggy doors and if left alone with food and water, it'll eat and hold it's bowels until let out side. Nobody can deny that a dog won't on average.
Well it most likely did hold it in for a long time. A creature can only hold in their NEED to release toxic waste for so long before they need to let it out. Imagine driving a big rig 4 hours in after having breakfast and coffee later having to use the restroom then realizing the travel center you just got to was closed(for some reason.. at this point your feeling the 'need' pretty bad already) then realize you have about 2 more hours till the next rest stop on a winding rainy mountain road with barely any turn off ramps) you'd most likely **** your pants. Same with cats they are not friggin 'ultimate mind over matter magical bowel control wizards'!

As for the topic.. I have no idea why one would "hate cats"!? I love cats soooo much! I've had cats in my life since I was born I adore them. It's pretty nasty that people can hate a innocent animal for no reason honestly. I'm thinking those lame superstitious crazy middle age psycho Christians that would throw cats specifically black ones off balconies or other buildings to kill them or burn them alive because they thought they were demons ugh sick freaks should've dies themselves.

Old 02-12-2018, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
True, but I'm speaking more of random chance. If I picked a dog and cat at random, knowing nothing about that particular animal, the cat would 'probably' be a better hunter.
Pfft...depends on the breed. Many breed still carry their instincts and original purposes deep inside them. Technically all dogs are predators, not all were bred for hunting. Original and ancient breeds, such as terriers or hounds would probably be fine, most other dogs, such a sporting dogs would do it out of neccessity. Luckilly dogs are omnivores, so meat is mostly a choice. Let them be alone long enough and they'll figure it out and don't be surprised if that hypothetical cat ends up on the menu. I don't know about the "mighty predator" house cat, but as said before, dogs will attack people and far often pay no nevermind to us being bigger. People always say they'll eat anything...

Old 02-12-2018, 03:54 AM

3,637 posts, read 1,699,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
You mean other than all the hair all over everything and litter boxes with as much litter on the floors as in the box and that they climb up on the kitchen counters and other surfaces and some favorite keepsakes, plants and vases are in shatters and you can't depend on an unraveled roll of toilet paper and they walk all over your keyboard while you're trying to type and the fronts of some furniture has succumbed to claws and etc, etc, etc?
What's not to love?
I can't see where psychology has anything to do with it.

As an animal lover, especially cats, those "faults" you list are some of the reasons we love them so much. The little bit of work we have to put in is paid back in spades by the love and humor they bring to the relationship.

Either you are someone who loves them, or you are not. No right or wrong here, just personal tastes and likes.

Old 02-12-2018, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transgirl88 View Post
Well it most likely did hold it in for a long time. A creature can only hold in their NEED to release toxic waste for so long before they need to let it out. Imagine driving a big rig 4 hours in after having breakfast and coffee later having to use the restroom then realizing the travel center you just got to was closed(for some reason.. at this point your feeling the 'need' pretty bad already) then realize you have about 2 more hours till the next rest stop on a winding rainy mountain road with barely any turn off ramps) you'd most likely **** your pants. Same with cats they are not friggin 'ultimate mind over matter magical bowel control wizards'!

As for the topic.. I have no idea why one would "hate cats"!? I love cats soooo much! I've had cats in my life since I was born I adore them. It's pretty nasty that people can hate a innocent animal for no reason honestly. I'm thinking those lame superstitious crazy middle age psycho Christians that would throw cats specifically black ones off balconies or other buildings to kill them or burn them alive because they thought they were demons ugh sick freaks should've dies themselves.
Actually I can hold it for quite a long time, taught myself that as a kid because I hated public restrooms, was afraid of at the time new to me(or all together, not sure when they came about) automatic flushers and other than pee, refused to use the bathrooms in school. I still hate public restrooms. I've been known to utterly forget I even hafta "release toxic waste."

As far as christains; well they're widely moronic when it comes to certain things, like what they percieve as "superstition," or Pagan, not understanding many things are told to them is either blatantly or passively a deterent to keep you in faith, or has meaning different entirely than what it seems...but that's another thread.

On Topic. I hate cats. I don't care if people dislike or hate that I hate them, i'm allowed and it's permissable, and I do.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:01 AM

Personally I don't understand why people like them. I hate cats and don't give a damn how people feel about it. People here like to get so negative about negativity, like some SJW or something. Phsycoanalyze all you want, it has nothing to do with anything other than I hate them for what they are, how they are and the crap they do. Climbing on stuff, scratching stuff and whatever makes a cat a cat. I don't like it. Stay on the damn floor and leave bullspit alone.

I don't believe in declawing them, just like I don't believe in docking a dogs tail. I won't stop or swerve from on one the street. That said; as long as they are not in my house, I'm good. I've had threw, that technically wasn't mine; a stray we let in the house when I was a kid, my babymamas cat, who's only redeeming quality was he looked like church, and he sometimes looked out for me if I was depressed, my exes kitten whom I didn't want, that my other exes cat gave birth to, because I knew he'd be an a-hole...and he was an a-hole. I'll admit when I kicked her out, I tossed his butt like a football to the fenced in lot in to a pile of rocks, but he survived. I have friend that has a few cats, somw have had litters adding up to her having a lot of cats, some of the kittens were always up my butt, we used to carry them on our shoulders. Another friend has a fairly large 100% black cat that's half burmese- which is all I like about him, they have another one that likes to jump and lay in my lap. I vowed to never have a cat in my house, but I had to watch his cat for a week and after day one, when he tore up my alter and living room, kept him in the bathroom or cage- never ever again. The woman who lived next to my grandmother had a cat, though didn't care for me as a kid, took no offense to me playing with her kittens of many litters. My stepdad takes care of a stray, I'm the only one so far who can pick her up.

I still hate cats, I don't like anything about them, but if they are not in my house, I'll be peacefull. Two friends are staying with me now with three of these lil POS vermin, I can't wait till they get out of here. Can not wait. Climbing and jumping on crap, scratching my clothes hamper and speaker boxes, making unruly noises and acting like assess, hiding in or under stuff, ruining my alter, being nosey. I hate it.

As far as fear, I can't see a single reason to fear a cat or dog, especially a damn cat. We are bigger than they are. I've been clawed by cats, it honestly doesn't hurt me, it attacks me, I'll kick it, or throw it. A dog, the very same, unless it's big, then I might just kill it, if need be. As far as superstition or whatever, then...or one reason christians killed cats(black ones) is they thought they carried the plague and by their stupidity, made it a far worse plague, the demon nonsense is probably a black cats stigmata of being bad luck. I think they look cool, I used to want an all black main coon. Cats in general, at least for pagans and similar faiths are supposedly half in half out, they are portals to the other realm, some describe them as half dead, due to this fact ans when they are staring off, there's a chance they're looking to the other side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology