Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 03:59 AM

968 posts, read 1,142,233 times

Advertisements

When I was a kid it was always Sunday dinner with Grandma. My father's whole side of the family would get together at Grandma's every Sunday, and that was nice. The family was always close. After my grandparents passed away, the Sundays became uneventful and were exactly like a lot of people here describe. It's a day off of work or school but you can't do anything fun that goes on for too long since you have to be back on schedule to get up early for work the next morning.

Now as we're grown we try to get to my parents' house every Sunday, but even that can be crazy since they eat dinner late and we have to get home early enough to get to bed early. This is why I don't mind working on a Sunday in many cases. It's just like going on vacation. It's fun and nice to get away, but travel days, especially coming home, are such a downer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2017, 05:00 AM

266 posts, read 245,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesj13 View Post
I have suffered from depression for many years and am on medication though it hasn't worked well. Work for me is a real grind as it is for most. I work six days a week and while doing it I am wishing we would have Saturday off but when it comes to Sunday my day off, I open my eyes in the morning and it just sucks. I am so down I don't want to get out of bed. I have a wife of 30 years and all of our children are doing well and successful. We recently moved to the country into a very nice house with 25 acres. One of the downfalls for me is that I am already not the social type but out here there are weeks with no social contact with no one other than my wife and dog. I feel so isolated and depressed and wonder if anyone else has this experience?

Your not alone, I have heard that same sentiment from many over the years. Probably worse for those with depression or anxiety. Sunday is strange, anticipating the work week.

Try to do something social/active on Sunday.

Wishing you the best!

Old 10-30-2017, 05:23 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,498,135 times
We tend to just let our leisure time happen, and it's not really the best way to do it. Plan things for Sunday afternoons if you know this is your down time.

Hang in there, I hope you feel better soon.

Old 10-30-2017, 06:23 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesj13 View Post
I have suffered from depression for many years and am on medication though it hasn't worked well. Work for me is a real grind as it is for most. I work six days a week and while doing it I am wishing we would have Saturday off but when it comes to Sunday my day off, I open my eyes in the morning and it just sucks. I am so down I don't want to get out of bed. I have a wife of 30 years and all of our children are doing well and successful. We recently moved to the country into a very nice house with 25 acres. One of the downfalls for me is that I am already not the social type but out here there are weeks with no social contact with no one other than my wife and dog. I feel so isolated and depressed and wonder if anyone else has this experience?
I did 20 years ago...my meds worked, Luvox...needed them for 6 months only.
after that I practiced and still do...Thought Control...I had to catch the very first depressing thought that seems
to like popping in first thing, before my head lifts off the pillow.

I talked to it...the thought or my mind or this thing that could be called the devil...whatever it was, ego...
I said, out loud, with a smile..."OH no you don't ....I know exactly where this is going to take me...
into a pit of depression."
Then, I got up, smiled on purpose, and brushed my teeth...it was the beginning of me winning...controlling stupid thoughts!!!!

After awhile the thoughts, ego, mind, devil lay off ...cuz you're boring...no fun to play with...
Iam on auto-pilot now...a stupid thought pops in and I laugh at it. (I don't believe in a devil, btw.)
It took consistently saying, NO.
The power is tremendous.

It's a battle...you have to win and that's all there is to it. I did...didn't take all that long either once my mind was made up!
I think that smile and determination changed my brain chemistry.

If a thought just came in that said, 'Oh yeah, right..." That's what I'm talking about...
stop it...it is not 'you'.

Old 10-30-2017, 06:26 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
How come no one has given this guy a pat on the back...as in, a rep for reaching out?
That was rhetorical.

Old 10-30-2017, 10:32 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Sundays are terrible when you're an atheist who's sick of football on a 45 degree October day in Buffalo NY like it was today. I watched football while using the Internet all day for lack of anything better to do. Pretty similar to what I've done the past decade. I need a significant life change--by that I mean a geographical one.
Matt, I found finally what I believed and didn't believe and don't miss a church for a minute. There is some good programming on my Sunday morning radio and that is my church. For years while I was falling off my beach was my church. Then I really like St. Mattress. Meditation is a great power up that one can get into...

Ah that spice of life.

Old 10-30-2017, 12:51 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,253,359 times
Starting with kindergarten, 1949, and right up through early retirement, 1997, Sunday EVENINGS had been so depressing.

But then in retirement, Sunday evenings were no longer depressing, until my wife passed, and now all days are depressing.

Old 10-30-2017, 12:56 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Too sad that so many can't make lemonade out of their so called lemons.

Change your mind/thinking and Change your Life.

Our glasses are Half Full, not Half Empty....

Work on more positive thinking.

Old 10-30-2017, 01:06 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
I am not a religious person, but live in a very conservative, religious area. I grew up in Southern Baptist churches and it is not for me. If work itself depresses you that bad, find another job.

Things I do on Sunday..

1) Usually go out to a decent breakfast/brunch place. I almost never get up before 9 on Sundays. I am not a morning person at all.

2) Gym. It's almost always far less crowded on Sunday (especially since it opens at 11, when most people are still in church).

3) Any errands that I can't get done during the work week, I'll do on Sundays instead of Saturdays. Sam's Club is a real chore on Saturday. On Sunday, it's not as bad.

4) Bar. Not so much these days, but when I lived in Indiana, I frequented the same bar with the same men most Sunday afternoons from 2-5 or so.

Old 10-30-2017, 01:07 PM

10,900 posts, read 7,393,957 times
Join a club that meets on Sundays. You'll meet people with a common interest and have fun, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology