Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 10:19 AM

678 posts, read 429,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_me View Post
Read a course in Miracles or Marianne Williamson's take on it
A miracle is just a shift in one's perspective. So, yes, you can change.
That book helped my wife too who is sensitive. Just the concept of basing decisions on love vs fear has helped me live a much more fear free life.

So I definitely agree about a shift in perspective helping. And if that book doesn't help, I would say continue searching for something that resonates.

It's too bad that self-help often has a stigma in this country. Why would anyone not want to improve themselves? Instead, people like the ones bullying the OP suppress their feelings and shortcomings and try to take it out on others. It's Eckhart Tolle's description of the painbody but I would describe as emotional baggage that people try to unload onto others instead of trying to help themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 12:47 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
OP, I'm not at all oversensitive, and I think those people you describe are hurtful. Unless, you're all trading shots at one another as groups of guys will do, and you deliver a few shots yourself. One thought, I knew a guy that took a couple mean barbs his way in a group...All he countered with was, "that's not very nice." And walked away. It was powerful.

In general, I think of oversensitive people in one of two ways.

One, they can be sharp witted themselves but when it comes back around are hurt.

Otherwise, I find it a symptom of self-centeredness. Meaning, they are hurt that plans got cancelled, and take it personally, and don't consider that outside factors influence the other person.

Old 11-01-2017, 03:07 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,644,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
my opinion on oversensitive people... they lived in their box too much, throw them out into the world where they are exposed to a lot of other people, many ideas, and conflicting culture

put them out of their comfort level and they learn to not be over sensitive since they become desensitized to no one caring about their personal views
Did you read the entire post? OP's co-workers are imitating him and laughing at him. You can be the most open, worldly person in this world, but other people mocking you is still insulting and hurts.

Old 11-01-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCastro View Post
I have gone to numerous therapists and they always say stuff like "use positive self-talk" or "you choose how you feel, so tell yourself that these comments don't matter and you will get over it". It doesn't work most of the time
Of course it doesn't work. This is pure BS. You cannot help how you feel. You feel an emotion whether you want to or not. It just comes and you feel it. If it were possible to CHOOSE how you feel, why would anyone ever choose to feel hurt, anger, jealousy, guilt, rejection, and other bad emotions?

Old 11-01-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCastro View Post
I want to change jobs anyway because I hate the work, not because of the people.
There you go. Instant solution. Do it as fast as you can. Then be glad you can just quit and never see these people again.

Old 11-01-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Confront the behavior even once or twice and most people will get the message and stop acting like idiots to you. Even feeling ready to confront them comes across to them before you say a word, and many of them will smell it and never try it around you again.
Or it could make them come back even meaner.

Old 11-01-2017, 04:36 PM

4,189 posts, read 3,402,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
Of course it doesn't work. This is pure BS. You cannot help how you feel. You feel an emotion whether you want to or not. It just comes and you feel it. If it were possible to CHOOSE how you feel, why would anyone ever choose to feel hurt, anger, jealousy, guilt, rejection, and other bad emotions?
^^^

This.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:55 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times
Mock me all you want but I find reading and participating in the "Politics and Other Controversies" forum a good therapy for desensitization.

Old 11-03-2017, 11:09 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Look into cognitive behavioral therapy. It's all about working to change the way your mind thinks, changing how you respond in situations, etc., which can be learned.

Just one simple example - if you start thinking something like, "Joe thinks I'm an idiot." You can use the "fact check" technique, where you think, or start writing in a journal, about if the facts back up that idea. So, does Joe really think you're an idiot? Wait, didn't Joe tell you many times how you often come up with good ideas, and/or that he really admires how good you are at something? So, okay, the facts don't back up my thinking that Joe thinks I'm an idiot. Therefore, Joe doesn't think I'm an idiot.

So, okay, then, now I am remembering that Joe does not think I am an idiot, and so Joe's snapping at me does not mean that. So, something else is going on with Joe. So, maybe I should go ask Joe how he is.......or whatever.

I'm just trying to show you how the process works.

So, next time Joe snaps at you, maybe you won't immediately start with the "Joe thinks I'm an idiot" thinking, and you'll think something instead like, "Wow, Joe must really be stressed out." And then you'll instead of walking away in a huff when Joe snaps, you'll instead ask him if he's stressed out.

In other words, you'll start thinking whatever is probably not about you. And that's a huge relief. But, it's also hard to do, and takes time and practice. But, it can be done.

So, look up CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) and look for a counselor who knows what this is, and can help you with it. It's seriously hugely changed my life for the better.

Old 11-04-2017, 09:51 AM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
Or it could make them come back even meaner.
That might be true in a few instances, but generally most people tend to do whatever they are allowed to get away with. If they start with the teasing or bullying and are able to get away with it once they will continue to do it as long as possible. Most people will stop with their nonsense when their provocation no longer results in the desired reaction.
There are several ways Op can deal with this problem, humor, sarcasm, honesty, intimidation, deflection, etc. He may need to try some of them out until he finds what is comfortable and works for him
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology