Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2017, 12:22 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times

Advertisements

They say that why we dream we are back in high school, about to take that test that we didn't study for, is because we feel unprepared for something in our present life and the mind gives us images and memories of the times we most often felt that.

So what is it with grocery stores? I find I have these dreams of going down aisle after aisle, perhaps trying to outrun someone. Of walking into an old style huge store at the top of a hill of a huge parking lot, going through an old style Safeway door with the railing and the floor mat and not being able to get to the cashier.

Is it because in reality, we have too much on our plate? Perhaps there is something we are trying to get before anyone else does?

They are not necessarily unpleasant dreams.....but they are rather interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 08:40 AM

1,088 posts, read 578,073 times
I've been fascinated by dreams for as long as I can remember. To this day, I still have those school-related dreams you mentioned (though I'm in my 40's). I don't recall having any in a grocery store, but one of the most common themes in my dreams is trying to accomplish something in a hurry and never being quite able to do it. I don't always understand my dreams, but it's interesting to me when I can determine the meaning of them.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:13 PM

4,197 posts, read 4,449,313 times
Could these grocery store images be old memories from your first cognitively aware youth?

I ask because I've had a few dreams where an old strip shopping center from my youth occasionally is recalled in a dream and I have no reason why other than it is as if I am going back in time and have accessed some older storage area in my memory banks.

The bakery department is what I seem to get images of with all manner of pastries and sweets like chocolate éclair etc...

A Freudian type would ask if you are dreaming of certain produce in the produce aisle?

Being chased in grocery store makes me think of those Dirty Harry like movies where the robbers / bad guys get nabbed in the store and they exchange fire between aisles and some stacked canned goods get toppled over.

Somehow mine have me on top of the old style shopping center looking out window of an upper floor or on the roof jumping over the parapets between the portions that change in elevation (the theater was tall as was the end with the former drug store / discount store and it had two long arcades that cut through to the huge back parking lot.

I think the key component in yours is the not being able to get to the cashier i.e. you can't check out with your items (if you have any for that matter in your dreams). I.e. You can't take it with you as the saying goes.

Dreams are fun...

Old 11-14-2017, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
Could these grocery store images be old memories from your first cognitively aware youth?
Probably not. I'm an army brat and hence, that should be a commissary. As it isn't, then it is probably something else.

Quote:
I ask because I've had a few dreams where an old strip shopping center from my youth occasionally is recalled in a dream and I have no reason why other than it is as if I am going back in time and have accessed some older storage area in my memory banks.

The bakery department is what I seem to get images of with all manner of pastries and sweets like chocolate éclair etc...

A Freudian type would ask if you are dreaming of certain produce in the produce aisle?

Being chased in grocery store makes me think of those Dirty Harry like movies where the robbers / bad guys get nabbed in the store and they exchange fire between aisles and some stacked canned goods get toppled over.

Somehow mine have me on top of the old style shopping center looking out window of an upper floor or on the roof jumping over the parapets between the portions that change in elevation (the theater was tall as was the end with the former drug store / discount store and it had two long arcades that cut through to the huge back parking lot.

I think the key component in yours is the not being able to get to the cashier i.e. you can't check out with your items (if you have any for that matter in your dreams). I.e. You can't take it with you as the saying goes.

Dreams are fun...
Since the dreams are reoccurring, I believe they are more symbolic than actual. Who knows, it maybe what they say about children in that a filled refrigerator gives them feelings of confidence and stability. That sort of makes sense for if one were soon to move, they would be eating down, not buying any more, the cold stuff.

I don't know about the grocery store. It might be because I have worked nights for over a quarter of a century and the store is often the beacon through the night.....I don't know.

I was just wondering if anyone had come across anything.....

Old 11-14-2017, 09:21 AM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
I've realized that I only have nightmares when I am physically overheating. And since I tend to "sleep hot" (my bedpartners have informed me that I am like a tiny furnace when I sleep normally, they have feared that I have a fever or something) I would say that if I am hot enough to need to wake and kick off blankets, I'm probably on the verge of dangerously high body temps. So nightmares are my brain's way of stressing me enough to wake me so that I'll do something about being hot, I think.

Just a theory about one kind of my dreams. And the only time I can recall dreaming about a grocery store, was a nightmare. I dreamed that my whole town was on fire, and I was alone (I was about 10 or 11 when I dreamed this) and I was trying to find people to tell them that there was a fire, and to get out, and I ran into a grocery store, where everyone was just acting completely normal, and I was screaming and warning them, and they were just glancing placidly at me, and not caring or listening. Finally I had to leave by myself and just let everyone else die because they wouldn't pay attention.

I often dream about airports, usually that I am completely lost in some huge crazy place and about to miss a flight. I just, again, think it's my bio-systems trying to stress me enough to get me awake.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I've realized that I only have nightmares when I am physically overheating. And since I tend to "sleep hot" (my bedpartners have informed me that I am like a tiny furnace when I sleep normally, they have feared that I have a fever or something) I would say that if I am hot enough to need to wake and kick off blankets, I'm probably on the verge of dangerously high body temps. So nightmares are my brain's way of stressing me enough to wake me so that I'll do something about being hot, I think.

Just a theory about one kind of my dreams. And the only time I can recall dreaming about a grocery store, was a nightmare. I dreamed that my whole town was on fire, and I was alone (I was about 10 or 11 when I dreamed this) and I was trying to find people to tell them that there was a fire, and to get out, and I ran into a grocery store, where everyone was just acting completely normal, and I was screaming and warning them, and they were just glancing placidly at me, and not caring or listening. Finally I had to leave by myself and just let everyone else die because they wouldn't pay attention.

I often dream about airports, usually that I am completely lost in some huge crazy place and about to miss a flight. I just, again, think it's my bio-systems trying to stress me enough to get me awake.
We-ll.......

about 30 years ago, I would have a dream about a man in bed with me. I feared him, I never saw his face, I would wake up before I did. Then one dream, I did see his face, it was no one I knew....and the dreams stopped.

Then there are another set of dreams about an intruder in the house and somewhere in the programming, there is the signal to wake up, which I have.

The dreams, however, got smart. There's an intruder in the house, I wake up....and I am still in the dream. There is an intruder in the house, I wake up.....and I am still STILL in the dream. The dreams figured out a way to multilayer themselves.

Odd stuff.

As far as airports go, well I have not been in one since before 9/11.........I am about to end that retreat, so I wonder............

Old 11-14-2017, 01:19 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Regarding the grocery store dreams...

Would you consider yourself an ambitious person? Maybe walking up the long hill to get to the grocery store represents working hard toward a goal, and you perceive that reaching that goal will give you security, and access to "the land of opportunity" so to speak.

You can't get to the cashier, because for some reason, you haven't been able to close the deal, or reach the goal yet...but it's so close...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology