Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 09:43 PM

63 posts, read 43,925 times

Advertisements

Thanks very much, all, for your answers.

It's a real problem. It affected my life for so long, and I paid the price.

I actually was looking into classes or seminars on beating procrastination. But then I realized I would probably skip it, and blow it off altogether.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2017, 11:06 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Let me get back to you on that......

Just kidding. What made me change my procrastinating ways, was finally realizing the stress I was causing myself, and I was looking to lower my stress level.

For me, I had an unrealistic idea of how long it would take me to get ready or to get somewhere. So, I changed my goal to get somewhere early. And since I was still bad at estimating time, what happened was, I didn't get there early, but I would just get there on time.

Then, I changed to starting even earlier, so I could actually get somewhere early. And now, I get somewhere WAY early - if it is somewhere I could get stuck in traffic. And I map out a coffee shop nearby my destination I can go to, in case I get there insanely early.

This has been my habit for many years now. But, I still think I'll have more time than I actually do in real life. My mind still thinks I don't need as much time to do something as I really do. So, it's a constant game of telling my mind that it's okay to get somewhere really early - even though I still rarely get anywhere as early as my mind thinks I will.

It's a mind game.

As far as school work, I finally learned by going back to college in my 40's, that I needed to set my goal on getting my papers and homework done early - again to eliminate stress. And now, I'm kind of obsessive about getting things done earlier than I need to - which is it's own new kind of stress lol. But, the way I look at it is, I can control working on something early. I can't control the clock running out at the last minute.

For instance, I'm leaving Tuesday for a Thanksgiving trip, and I took care of most of my to-do items today. Today is Saturday. It just gives me peace of mind knowing I only have a few things left to worry about.

So, it's like you just have to make a commitment to yourself that you're going to minimize your stress and take control of that. How you actually manage to do that is something you'll have to work out. But, one thing I did when I first got started, was to, for instance, aim for getting somewhere an hour before my appointment. And take a book or figure I'd go to a coffee shop, if I got there way too early. Just mind games - but it worked for me.

Old 11-19-2017, 09:24 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
I bought this book, but I haven't got around to reading it yet:

I also bought this book -- it's around here somewhere but I can't find it:

Old 11-19-2017, 11:02 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,908,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeWong View Post
Procrastination has always been a huge problem for me. Ever since I was a child, up till now.

This problem has affected my entire life, both personally and professionally.

I believe it's a disorder, like alcoholism or any other kind of addictive or compulsive behavior. I can't seem to beat this problem alone. Has anyone successfully overcome it?
I'm surprised you got around to writing your post. LOL.

Old 11-19-2017, 11:54 AM

1,394 posts, read 1,259,468 times
Can we do this thread next week?

Teehee!

Old 11-19-2017, 12:19 PM

4,242 posts, read 947,782 times
https://waitbutwhy.com/2013/10/why-p...rastinate.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology